The 'tick' Is Gone! But So Is My 'oil'!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it's anywhere near like your problem, I just rode my bike about 1000 miles over 2 days, hard and fast, for the first time since I've owned it. After that highway,  85+ mph run for hours on end, the bike just seems to run better. Maybe I'm just finally getting it broken in after pussyfooting it for over a year.
Maybe that explains the comment I got from the mech when I had the valve clearances checked on my '03. His unsolicited comment was that it pulled harder and smoother than any other FJR he'd test ridden.

And I don't do "high speed" runs. The fastest I've ever had it was 112 once for maybe a minute. Maybe it's the extended runs at ~85 for hours on end out on Western US roads where that's the flow of traffic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it's anywhere near like your problem, I just rode my bike about 1000 miles over 2 days, hard and fast, for the first time since I've owned it. After that highway,  85+ mph run for hours on end, the bike just seems to run better. Maybe I'm just finally getting it broken in after pussyfooting it for over a year.
Maybe that explains the comment I got from the mech when I had the valve clearances checked on my '03. His unsolicited comment was that it pulled harder and smoother than any other FJR he'd test ridden.

And I don't do "high speed" runs. The fastest I've ever had it was 112 once for maybe a minute. Maybe it's the extended runs at ~85 for hours on end out on Western US roads where that's the flow of traffic?
A couple of days before the head was scheduled to be replaced, we had just been riding some wide open Nevada desert. The mech. commented on how there was no carbon build up in the motor, coincidence?

The Yosemite run coming up will prove out this theory. There's a little stretch planned toward the open Nevada desert IIRC. Even if it proves fruitless, it sure will be a fun way to find out. Sure beats wrenching.

FWIW, Sunnyside changed the head on my '04 at 19,000 miles in late May. The bike returned home and then headed to Utah for a 4,000 trip. I rode it just like I always do, which included frequent high speed extended blasts, and routine checks to insure the rev limiter was still functioning. For the whole trip, I MAY have used a couple of ounces of oil, (Yamalube since new) as I thought MAYBE I could see a very slight change of the oil level in the window. After your experience with the dealer who did the repair I'd have a real hard time ever going back there, but I also wouldn't listen to anyone trying to tell me it's anything close to normal. If after your oil change you still seem to be going through that much oil, I'd get it to a dealer that is actually interested in your business. Even if it means some travel. It's a 600 mile round trip for me to Sunnyside, but worth every mile of it.