There and back again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider

esolc oot m'I siht dear nac uoy fI
Reaction score
[with apologies to Bilbo for stealing his title]

So with great excitement I set off from my home in Plano, TX to points west on Saturday, June 7th. I met up with a friend at a nearby Starbucks on our way to The Major's house where we were all setting off. When I met up with my friend Crowe he had forgot to attach his mascot Taz. Back to Crowe's house we went.

Here's my faithful FJR and the latest addition of a carabiner to hold my helmet to my Motofizz and prevent it tumbling to the ground. I'm paranoid about ruining a new helmet:

GM4Z9274_2.jpg

And here's Crowe attaching Taz to his Wing:

GM4Z9275_2.jpg

40 minutes later all the rides and riders were gathered. As you can see the group consisted of 4 Wings and my FJR:

GM4Z9277_2.jpg

Unfortunately when I arrived at The Major's house my carabiner had already gone AWOL. Oh well, I'll just be extra careful with my helmet.

After less than 100 miles the crosswinds and heat were getting to folks so we pulled off for some gas and water:

GM4Z9279_2.jpg

At the second gas/water stop the heat and winds were still bad and even though the mood was a little subdued I got the obligatory group shot:

GM4Z9290_2.jpg

The first day's ride was ~450 miles up the Texas Panhandle to Dalhart. If you ever get the chance to pass on going to Dalhart take it! Apart from the constant 30 MPH crosswind with 45 MPH gusts (300+ miles of that) and the 100 degree heat it was a fun ride. About as much fun as a recreational root canal. Still, the bad part of the trip was over so walking to dinner and having a few cold brews cheered everyone up.

Did I mention the bad part of the trip was over? Ha - famous last words. While rounding up the bikes for a group hug chain up at the hotel we noticed that one of the Wing rider's rear tire had a belt separation and a big bubble on his rear tire. The separation was on the left side of the tire - the same side that got all the wear from today's crosswind. In all likelihood it overheated as a result of the loading and the wind induced lean. Saturday night in the middle of nowhere with no hope of finding a motorcycle shop open on Sunday or maybe even Monday put a damper on our mood. After a little over an hour of making calls/searching the internet/and trying to come up with a plan the rider of the injured Wing suddenly remembered Wing Forum posts about "The Dark Side". What, you might ask, is the "Dark Side"? Well, come Sunday morning we had our answer:

GM4Z9292_2.jpg

So, at 10:40 AM on Sunday we rolled out of Dalhart. Jonesey's comment about the tire was "It ain't great - but it gets me down the road". And he ended up riding on it the whole trip - although one of the first things he plans on now that we're back is to replace it with a proper motorcycle tire.

Once we got through the Raton Pass the winds and temperature began to turn in our favor. We took CO 69 - a lovely lightly traveled road with a beautiful view:

GM4Z9299_2.jpg

While on 69 we got a few sprinkles as storms were converging on us from the mountains on either side. It wasn't bad enough to don our raingear and as it turns out that was the only rain we experienced on the whole trip. A few hours later we turned westbound on US 50. Going up through Monarch Pass - 11,312 ft with no surging, looks like the new ECU did the trick - the temps got down right cool with my thermometer showing 51 degrees. The Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves I got before the trip did a nice job of keeping my hands warm. We pulled over to snap a picture when we got to an elevation that still had snow on the ground:

GM4Z9302_2.jpg

After we got through the pass and dropped a few thousand feet in elevation the temps warmed up to almost 70 degrees. I had to snap this picture when we stopped for gas. Coming from the flatlands of Texas I sure appreciate this view - even if the locals in the town are blasé about it:

GM4Z9306_2.jpg

I mean come on - here in Texas we would kill for an indoor pool! Well, OK, and the mountains in the background aren't bad either. :rolleyes: An hour or so later we arrived in Gunnison, CO and after dinner and drinks we settled in for the night. Since the morning low temps were in the upper 20s we decided not to leave until 9:00. By that time the temps were in the upper 40s - things sure warm up quickly on a sunny day at high altitude. When we got to Montrose we headed south on US 550 and picked up CO 62 to CO 145 to CO 90. CO 145 and CO 90 are absolutely gorgeous roads with lots of gentle curves and beautiful scenery. At one point along CO 145 Jonesey lost his Pakit Rak - a hitch attached shelf that holds a luggage bag. The pin that holds the hitch in broke off. After 30 minutes on the side of the road with bubble gum and bailing wire we were ready to go again but not before I snapped this pic:

GM4Z9310_2.jpg

Eventually we crossed over into Utah and made our way up US 191 into Moab where, after dropping off luggage at the hotel, we headed into Arches NP:

GM4Z9322_2.jpg

GM4Z9325_2.jpg

In this next picture the wind was blowing enough that I resorted to the tried and true method of securing my helmet:

GM4Z9348_2.jpg

That night in Moab I managed to round up another carabiner and put it to good use the next day at a gas stop on our way down to Monument Valley:

GM4Z9350_2.jpg

After a beautiful ride through Monument Valley (where we didn't stop to take pics and I'm kicking myself for it - but hey it was a 430 mile day with 5 bikes and 8 people so we didn't have a whole lot of extra time) we made out way to Zion NP. Zion is an amazing place - another highly recommended stop for anyone going through that part of the country:

GM4Z9367_2.jpg

Pano9372-9376small.jpg

After spending the night in St. George, UT we made our way down I-15 the next day into Las Vegas. I have to admit that I've never seen as beautiful of an interstate as I-15 through that part of Utah and Nevada. How often do you get speed limited curves on an interstate? When we got to Las Vegas we opted for an early lunch. This was my first time at this particular chain so I was looking forward to it:

GM4Z9377_2.jpg

I have to admit - the burgers are good. Maybe one day In-N-Out will make their way out east.

Next stop - Hoover Dam. For those of you that - like me - hadn't been to the dam in almost 20 years there is now a security checkpoint before you get to ride across the dam. The minivan in front of us got pulled aside for a more thorough check. Good thing too, the cell-phone wielding soccer mom with the rug-rats piled in the back watching Shrek seemed like a threat to me. In all seriousness though, there is a highway under construction that crosses the canyon about 100 feet above the dam. My guess is that once that highway is completed all vehicular traffic across the dam will be prohibited.

Here's our motley crew parked near the dam:

GM4Z9381_2.jpg

And here's the dam:

GM4Z9384_2.jpg

Pano9392-9395.jpg

After crossing the central Arizona desert on US 93 we finally turned on AZ 89 and took it north into Prescott. I have never ever been on any road that is the equal of Arizona 89 just south of Prescott. One of the couples on our trip stopping counting curves at 280. They estimate it's about 300 turns in 12 miles and the pavement is pure perfection. The majority of the turns are 15, 20, and 25 MPH. Many of the folks I was riding with have ridden the Tail of the Dragon and claim this stretch of highway in Arizona is every bit as good...in fact, it's probably better because of the lack of traffic on it. It's been two weeks and I still wake up with a smile on my face after dreaming about riding that beautiful road.

The next morning saw us leave Prescott on our way to the Grand Canyon. We stopped in the canyon just north of Sedona for a quick pic:

GM4Z9407_2.jpg

Finally we got to the Grand Canyon. This is the first time I've visited it and I was blown away by just how big it is. It's amazing to think what 1.3 billion years of water will do to rock. :)

Pano9440-9445small.jpg

After spending way too much time at the Canyon - it's easy to do - we didn't get into Winslow until late. Out plan for the next day was to make Santa Fe, which we did by heading down south off of I-40 to US 60 until we picked up I-25 which we took into Santa Fe. Let me tell you that Friday afternoon rush hour through Albuquerque and Santa Fe does not mix well with keeping 5 bikes together. Fortunately everyone had a CB so we were able to coordinate our movements through traffic. Just outside of Socorro, NM we stopped at the VLA. I wasn't able to get a picture of Jodie Foster listening for aliens, but I did manage to get this pic:

GM4Z9504_2.jpg

On Saturday morning The Major and I split off from the group. I wanted to get back home so I could spend time with my dad on Father's Day and The Major and his wife wanted to spend time with his sister-in-law in Lubbock. We headed out of Santa Fe at 6:40 AM and just rock and rolled at 85 MPH down I-40 until we got into Texas and the speed limit dropped from 75 to 70. We lowered our speed to 80 MPH and kept rolling. We went our separate ways in Amarillo and I continued down US 287 towards my home. Riding by myself I realized exactly why LD riders get aux fuel tanks. I was riding 240 miles at a stretch and only stopping because I was on reserve. Even with my stock seat and no risers I could have easily gone 400 miles at a time without a stop.

About 65 miles from home I met up with my wife on her V Star and we rode together for the last hour. All in all the last day was 630 miles in 10.5 hours and I could have pretty easily shaved an hour off that by not taking so long as gas and food stops. Who knows, I just might try my hand at a SS1000 this Fall. :)

When the bike was in the garage and the dust had settled I had racked up 3414 miles in 8 days and my life was forever richer from the memories:

GM4Z9511_2.jpg

Jagermeister, yep, my FJR is comparatively svelte next to the Wings.

shokdimn, yep, it's a stock seat. I'm sure it's not as comfortable as a good aftermarket seat, but it doesn't stop me from putting on a few miles.

Looks like you folks had a blast.

Thanks for a nice write-up, and some great pics.

FuzzyRider,

Thanks for posting the ride report. It makes me want to go head west again.

Great idea with the carabinier to hold the helmet to the bag.....but not too sure about the way you store your glasses in the very first picture, surprised they made it.. hehehe :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Erik.

Your pics show how awesome a trip you had!!

some guys I know here in San Jose are thinking of doing Utah for our MayDay run next year..

great report........ FJRM

Been there in my jeep. Would love to bike that route. Thanks for the story and pictures. I understand the helmet thing. Mine blew off my bike in Big Bend Nat Park in south Texas. Scratched all up and broke a vent cover. Brand new scorpion helmet for the trip. A buddy caught it rolling down the hill headed off a cliff to the Rio Grande below.

Cool report....if you don't mind me asking.....What was your tire pressures all loaded down with your gear for the trip and what tires were you using?

Thanks!

Latest posts