There really is a first time for everything

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the Breakin and new found love...

Classier extensions for the nice painted mirrors ?!?!

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-mirror-wideners-yamaha-fjr1300-06

Gotta say that those are Pretty darn spendy though..... :(

phpSVqAyh.jpg

Yeah they are. And they do not look like they would be all that effective either. I'm a Twisted Throttle junkie. Ponied up the big coin for the SW Motech sliders because I think they are probably worth it. But this doesn't seem like it would move the mirrors out that much since it also moves them on an angle, up and forward.

Does anyone have those spacers? What thickness are they? I can do the calculations to see if it will be enough. It may be time for a new mirror spacer farkle design.

On their site, it says they extend the mirrors 1.5" outward and get good reviews from what I have seen from other people. I'm going to get them for the 2015 when I get it.... gotta say I love the FZ1 mirrors but wouldn't like the look over the new painted ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new bike. I purposely skipped the Sacramento dealership demo ride because my '06 is still alive and kicking hard. No sense teasing myself by riding something I know I will buy as soon as my current bike passes away.

Ya know Fred, we are relying on you to make your way over to get measured up for Gen III mirror LR4 brackets... perhaps you guys could finger out some way to concoct a way to extend the mirrors and mount the lights with the same bracket...

Ya know Fred, we are relying on you to make your way over to get measured up for Gen III mirror LR4 brackets... perhaps you guys could finger out some way to concoct a way to extend the mirrors and mount the lights with the same bracket...
Perhaps a ride down to Garauld's???

Fred, you should start a thread titled "Fred and Red" where you chronicle all of your farkles with the new girl.

Perhaps a ride down to Garauld's???..
I'm thinking he can go 1/4 the distance and go visit Dave/WynPro. If he brings TMJ she can distract Mrs. WynPro Ann while the boys play in the shop
punk.gif

Uh, whaddya doing behind a computer??
(Congrats on it BTW.)
Guess he got the hint--he seems to have disappeared...

He was still farkling when we stopped by yesterday morning with a loaner seat. Hopefully he finished (for now) and he and Joann are out racking up miles before the rain rolls in.

Yes, Josie and I took red out yesterday afternoon for her first 2-up ADVriders Photo Tag mission... (I am positive there will be more). The girls are both pretty photogenic, don't you think? (even though Josie likes to hide in the pictures)

The old tag:

u8a7y2aq.jpg

And the new one I left (it has already been grabbed!)

2egu9u2a.jpg

And between those two sign tags we just had to ride through Jaffrey.

You do not ride through Jaffrey without stopping at Kimball Farm!!

Careful Fred. You know the '14 FJRs come with that new shorter oil filter. You will probably wear the motor out within a few hundred miles...
smile.png

The red bike looks fantastic. I am pleased to see you and TMJ enjoying it this way. You just know it is money well spent.

Other than the seat, how is TMJ enjoying the new bike vs. the old? We keep getting your impressions, what about hers?

Good question, Fish,

We initially noticed that there is a lot more room between up on the '14. I think that is just a 2nd Gen + thing due to the different proportioning of the seats.

But here's what she said this morning over breakfast: "It feels a lot smoother over the bumps, and the red is pretty." Well there you have it. Reason enough to upgrade? That's all up to the reader.

I can't be letting the bike sit around while I wait for a Russell, so I set to work this morning kludging up a temporary seat solution. Using the Yamaha Comfort Touring seats on loan from the Asphalt Junkies, I went out to the local auto supply and bought a single sheepskin seat cover. Cutting a square out of the center of the cover (the sides were faux fur) gave me enough to cover the front sadll from side to side tucking under the seat on the sides, and enough left over to stick a piece under Josie's preferred rubber non-slip shelf liner seat cover. I also put a few layers of bubble wrap under the sheepskin up front for a pseudo Airhawk underlayer. With the bubble wrap and sheepskin layers I'll try running the seat in the lower position for now.

100_4632.jpg

It ain't pretty, but hopefully it will extend ride times to back over an hour between butt breaks.
wink.png

Have you really gotten on those spiffy 08+ ABS brakes yet? Really stomp only on the rear brake pedal. You will be amazed.

And have you customized your three pages of display information yet?

I also put a few layers of bubble wrap under the sheepskin up front for a pseudo Airhawk underlayer.
I know I'm setting you up to brag on that new suspension but I just got a chuckle imagining the two of you hitting a rough section of road and some of that large bubble-wrap starting to pop. "FRED! Really!"

Some immaturity just doesn't get old.

Good question, Fish,
We initially noticed that there is a lot more room between up on the '14. I think that is just a 2nd Gen + thing due to the different proportioning of the seats.

But here's what she said this morning over breakfast: "It feels a lot smoother over the bumps, and the red is pretty." Well there you have it. Reason enough to upgrade? That's all up to the reader.

I can't be letting the bike sit around while I wait for a Russell, so I set to work this morning kludging up a temporary seat solution. Using the Yamaha Comfort Touring seats on loan from the Asphalt Junkies, I went out to the local auto supply and bought a single sheepskin seat cover. Cutting a square out of the center of the cover (the sides were faux fur) gave me enough to cover the front sadll from side to side tucking under the seat on the sides, and enough left over to stick a piece under Josie's preferred rubber non-slip shelf liner seat cover. I also put a few layers of bubble wrap under the sheepskin up front for a pseudo Airhawk underlayer. With the bubble wrap and sheepskin layers I'll try running the seat in the lower position for now.

100_4632.jpg

It ain't pretty, but hopefully it will extend ride times to back over an hour between butt breaks.
wink.png
Looks like some competition for RDL - the FDL
coolsmiley02.gif
Once again, Yankee ingenuity triumphs!

I think you're having too much fun ya lucky dog!

OK, the FDL did not work as advertised. I'm pissed and am going to contact the owner of that shoddy business in the morning. Oh wait, I am the owner of that shoddy outfit. ;)

But the possible good news is that, I think I figured out why none of these extra padding techniques (like air hawk, bubble wrap, gel inserts, etc, etc.) really works much where the Russel Daylong works like magic.

The first discovery was that the seat was much worse even with the same amount of padding when in the low position than up on high (for me). The pain points are those two "sitz bones", the two lower most protrusions from the bottom of your pelvis known formally as the ischial tuberosities.

sitzbone.jpg

When you are a relatively tall person, the pegs are high in relation to the seat. Your high knees will cause your thighs to be angled upward from your hip joint. So the only point in your derriere that is supporting your entire weight on a relatively flat seat is these two points. Short people won't have that problem (as much) since their thighs will be more parallel to the ground and help support some weight on the seat surface.

Even with several layers of bubble wrap (medium sized bubbles for maximum suspension and minimal bumpiness), and no Mikey none of the bubble wrap bubbles popped while riding even in >90 degree heat, they still felt hard on those two sitz bones after a couple of hours today. And I am positive that I was not Bottoming out the bubble wrap at those points either.

Since that wasn't working too well I decided to experiment a bit and try to make this kludge cover support more Russell-like. So I popped the blisters on the bubble wrap in the 5 to 6 inch area directly under my Sitz bones and then also built up the layers of bubble wrap behind and to the two sides of the now depressed area. That seemed to completely alleviate the pain I was having in the sitz bones area, but I did not have a chance to give it more time to see if other areas show up as painful now.

I think I may have just "re-discovered" what many of us had already known all along. The Russell (and other good custom seats) don't work because they are cushioned. They work because they are shaped right. I think if I can find an appropriate piece of foam to make a horse shoe shaped wedge out of, and then stick it under the cheapskin cover, I'll have something I can live with until the winter when Russell is likely to be able to service my seat.

@Skooter - As for the brakes, I have not hammered on them yet (bad break in for brakes) but I have noticed a lot more stopping power when using the brakes, especially the rear, and I think I can feel the linked braking keeping the bike more stable fore and aft when I hit that by itself. It's hard for me to judge on that as the suspension has something to do with the pitching also.

As for the three pages, I have not modified them yet. I've just been using the bike and figuring out what I really want to show up there. I'm thinking I'll want the Trip meter #1 (I reset it at fillups), Range to empty, Ambient Temp Engine Temp maybe? Those will be the more important data points for me.

The other pages will probably not get looked at much. I suspect I'll leave the screens on the windshield adjust page the most as I seem to diddle with that the most.

I'm finding I like the suspension set to 1 up and max soft for solo riding on back roads. Then just bump the damping up on the fly to Normal zero for smoother twisties. I have not yet found an optimum for when we are two up. I really do not think that this bike is under-sprung for us, and that was a fear with the ES going in. But we are not all that heavy together compared to many other couples (~ 320 lbs). and because of our bumpy roads prefer a more compliant suspension.

@Howie - I checked the screws on the locks. I did not ask the sales person who delivered the bike as I assumed that they would not really know the answer.

The screws are secure (right now) and I do not have the security torx bit to remove those little rascals. On my '05 I just destructively pulled them out with a pair of vice grips and replaced them with standard Phillips head screws. I am going to try and find the right tool this time and do it right. In the meantime, I will not lose any sleep over it. ;)

Fred, Great to hear you are getting the new ride set up.You are more than welcome to use my super security torx bit as I would hate to see you take a set of vise grips to that beautiful new machine.