Thinking of a 2014ES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
The 2014 ES has captured my curiosity. Electronic suspension adjustment. Not sure if its front and rear or just front? Built in throttle and engine mapping computer. My 07 has had throttle issues since day one. Nothing has ever made it perfect. Traction control for those days of riding in the rain or an unfamiliar road with less than ideal traction conditons. Buit in cruise control and not a throttle lock. Heated grips standard, whats not to like about this bike?

So, what is there not to like about this bike? I am giving serious consideration into selling the 07 and moving up to the 2014ES. How is the suspension? Does it truely fit a wider range of riders. Im 6'5 300lbs. I upgraded the front springs and put a penske on the rear with an upgraded spring to make my 07 nearly perfect. Will I need to do the same so the electronic suspension will be moot? Is the seat any better than the old one or is its the same seat in a new wrapper? Does the added throttle mapper really workr is it just a gimick?

For those that own the 2014ES please give me your insite. Be honest with the things you like and be petty with the things you don't. I need to make an informed decision on whether this is the right bike right now for me.

There are lots of threads about the suspension and riding feeling for different weight ranges. I personally posted about riding 1up and 2up, weights of 190# and 330#. The bike's suspension works with both situations and absorbs road imperfections well. There are so many incremental adjustments one can make on this bike so it fits each owner's needs. The difference between Sport and Touring driving modes are distinct and useful.

Items not liked: silver side panels and under tank trim. Windshield a bit too small but back pressure issue is fixed (with stock shield or aftermarket). Seat a bit hard but seems better than my '08 was.

I went form a 2007 to the 2014ES and have absolutely no remorse. I am 5'10" tall and wt 150lbs. Both bikes fit me well. I did go to a Yamaha touring windscreen to give better wind protection. Considering your height, I'm surprised you do not find the FJR a bit cramped. As for the seat, I use an AirHawk for long rides as the stock seat gets a little uncomfortable after several hundred miles. In summary, I think Yamaha made the 2014ES a bike that will set the bar high for other sport touring manufacturers in the same price range.

Even coming from a 2009, the 2014 is really nice. Could I have lived without it? Who cares.

I also came from an 07A, and loved that bike - 50K miles. But like you, engine surging and throttle issues. Jeff Ashe did a Hollywood makeover, including Ohlins and front fork mods. I only have 300 miles on the 14ES, but it is night and day different. The suspension is markedly improved, and riding often 2-up, this will be very useful to me. Your fork upgrade/Penske solution might be better for you if you are not changing settings often. - I think this one will be debated for while until folks get more time on the ES in various conditions, and see how durable it all is. I am 5'7''/165, and the feel is more in-the-bike than on-the-bike. Had the Yamaha custom seat on both the 07 and 14. I will put on the Yamaha touring windshield but I do like the stock better than Gen II. Touring-mode feels most like the 07, Sport mode is definitely more lively than the 07. The handling is easier, but I have to work out the BT-023 tires. These seem to be panned by just about everyone. I like them (so far with 300 miles) but even according to the Bridgestone website, they are not designed for the FJR - should be the BT-023 GTs...Explain that OEM decision to me... So I still don't know how much better it will with different tires. A little less room under the rear seat is my sole petty complaint thus far, more visible to LE I would guess... I don't think you will be disappointed.

Latest posts