Thinking of coming back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leskid

Reaction score
Hi all

I used to be a member out here long ago and I absolutely loved my mint '03. After a few seasons, I went back to sportbikes and have been through a few of those in the years since. My current rides are both Italian: a 2018 Tuono Factory and another Aprilia, the SXV 550 supermoto.

I'm thinking of adding an ST so I can do a cross Canada cruise next spring, provided the planet hasn't exploded by then. I was looking at the R1200 RS or RT...... but in my searching, I stumbled across what appears to be a clean, original '03 with only 26K kms (16K miles).

Since I left the FJR community, has anything popped-up to make one weary of buying an '03, provided it's serviceable and runs tight & smooth?

A couple pics from the ad. Includes the factory (I believe) topcase. The warning label is still on the tank!

%24_59.JPG

I'm struck by how clean the exhaust cans are, in that you see a nice mirrored reflection in both.... pretty clean for a 17 yr old bike. I'm a fastidious detailing freak so that's a big plus.

%24_59.JPG

Looks great.  As long as you are happy with the relative lack of amenities compared to the newer ones and you can get it for a decent price, go for it.

Less than 1000 miles per year!

Looks great.  As long as you are happy with the relative lack of amenities compared to the newer ones and you can get it for a decent price, go for it.

Less than 1000 miles per year!
Tell me about it. I've put over 3000kms on my Tuono since its last service back in late August!

Heheh - two schools of thought. I'm more of a sportbike guy so the lack of amenities is a plus as far as I'm concerned. I always believed the '03 was the most desirable year as it was the lightest without all the weight and complexity of all the bells and whistles that Yamaha started piling-on as of 2004.

Although I will confess that I installed the audiovox cruise control on mine back in the day. I imagine I'll be looking into that again if I pull the trigger on this.

Since I left the FJR community, has anything popped-up to make one weary of buying an '03, provided it's serviceable and runs tight & smooth?
Check with Canadian FJR or fjrob1300 (couple of Canadians who have put a lot of KM on '03 FJRs).  SkooterG as well although the Arizona experience may not be the same.

271,000 trouble free kms on my 2003.

Love my 2018 but there are still days I miss my basic ‘03.

If you can get it for a reasonable price I’d say go for it.

TPS sensor and ignition switch would be my only concerns and they might both be covered under factory recalls.

Canadian FJR

I've put a couple hundred thousand miles on Gen 1 bikes and still prefer the early ones.