Throttle Positioner Recall.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylooper

Reaction score
I just had that throttle position doohickey replacement done on a callback from Yamaha. After I got it back from the dealer, noted my mileage has dropped from around 40-41 mpg to 38 or so. Also, I noticed that the bike doesn't run quite as smoothly when it's warming up, and when I accelerate from a dead stop there's the slightest, tiniest, hesitation as I add power from idle.

Anyone experience this problem? Are they reconfiguring the computer map when they mess with the throttle positioner?

Hope this hasn't been discussed here, as I've been inactive on this board for a while.

Mine was just fine after the replacement but there is room for error depending how it was done. I have heard of some tech people putting it in on the marks of the old one and calling it good or the right way of using the onboard display and or an ohm meter to fine tune it. A look in the search area will get you the proper technique. :)

I haven't even taken mine in yet, and seeing all the negative results most are having, don't think I'm gonna worry about it real soon. Plus I can't yet anyway, damn foot :angry:

:jester:

Well, gee, hmm, I might have seen something about the TPS being recalled :) This is a good starting point. By searching +throttle +recall you will find several pages about the recall, what is involved, why it is being done and what may go wrong.

There has been a larger than expected number of people reporting problems after the TPS recall which is kind of surprising. It may be a case of the silent majority for which the replacement went well. The TPS is actually a pretty basic, non-dynamic sensor and the replacement *should* be straight forward. In fact it would take a pretty careless install to cause a problem. If the dealer didn't create a vacuum leak and made a very, very simple adjustment there is nothing else to go wrong. Heck, even the plug can't be installed backwards ;) I do think that some of the motorcycles that were in the beginning stages of TPS failure may have had other concurrent issues too. Once the TPS was replaced the other underlying issue(s) came to the surface. The replacement 'sensor' itself is so simple that there is really nothing to be bad, either it is good or bikie doesn't run. See the guts of the sensor here.

Edited: I was one of the people with a running problem after the TPS replacement. The root cause turned out to be my #3 spark plug cap had slightly displaced off the top of the plug. It was hard to keep the cap from popping off the plug and staying connected. Dunno why, but once the cap was firmly in place bikie ran great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put me on the list of people who were included in the recall, who got the notice from Yammy, and haven't gotten around to doing it. Figure when I get back from WFO-6, I'll be at the 26K valve check or thereabouts, and they can do it then. Plus my bike has never had any signs of a problem, and runs like a raped ape, so why F with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My '05 developed the symptoms of the problem about a month or two before the recall came out. I ordered a new TPS and replaced it myself. It took about 45 minutes and was quite easy, following instructions in another person's post. It ran fine after the change.

My 05 had all of the symptoms of a bad tps including stalling in traffic, which really sucked. I had the tps replaced under the recall and that made it run like new.

My TPS was replaced as a Yamma recall, I didn't have stalling issues but it did surge in the low rev range badly, after the TPS was replaced this surge issue was resolved. (They may have done a TBS) I don't know why but it's all good here.

I got the recall notice from Yamaha last year as well for my 05. It was running fine but the dealer said he was obligated to change it out when I had service done as a safety precaution, even though I didn't want them to. Runs exactly the same after TPS replacement as before, no change in mileage, throttle response, etc.

John