Throttlemeister Install?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windjammer

Reaction score
Anyone installed Throttlemeister? Or simply removed the bar-ends and handlebar inserts? Having a little difficulty with this, could use help. Please restrict comments to TM install, I've used Vistacruise in the past and didn't care for it, nothing personal against VC product, just not for me.

I installed mine right after I got my bike almost 2 years ago. To tell you the truth I can't remember any stumbling blocks. I've installed them on so many other bikes.

Just follow the directions. I know there's been a few comments on not being able to get the insert out of the throttle side with the supplied puller.

Sorry I couldn't add more.

WD 40 and make sure the puller ring is square to the bar. Oh yeah, WD 40. Did I mention that if you use WD 40 that they'll pull out easier?

Just make sure to clean the WD 40 off before you install the TM's.

I put one on (as I do with all my bikes). Don't recall any problems. The key is getting the right shim combo and not torquing things down until you've found that combo. Use Loctite during final torque.

Funny thing is the throttle side insert came out on the first try, with no WD at all. But it was just the scooter trash gods taking pity on me, cuz um, well, um, there was a little (ahem) PROBLEM on the clutch side (which I did first, thinking it would be easier). Had it soaking in WD overnight, tried putting the puller on and off about 100 times, then left the puller on under tension for about 3 hours, tried heat, got pissed and ended up ripping out the rubber core. Well then there's that little steel sleeve still in there. Totally trashed the end of the handlebar getting that out, literally broke the end of the handlebar up. Had little to lose at that point, so I just ground off what little remained of the thin section of handlebar. Looks like my new grip for that side can be trimmed a bit to fit up, but the TM o-ring closest to the end of the bar won"t fit into anything, it will just sit there. So, should I replace tha handlebar or use as is? Any problem with only the inside portion of the TM engaged on that side - any risk of it falling off? Opinions welcome, but please spare me the assclown award on this one, I feel bad enough already! Oh, and did I mention those little bar insert thingy's are a f**king pain in the goddam ass to remove from the bar?

Damn! At that point I would get a new handlebar. My clutch side was also a pain but a ratchet on a longer hex-head bolt from the local hardware store finally got it out.

I also installed the TM about two years ago.....

Question:

I want to tighten the tension. What is the procedure? Do I have to remove the bar end in order to do it?

Thanks for the help....

Just as TWN says, gotta use WD40 ... apply it and let it work for a few hours. And don't forget to clean it out after the insert has been removed.

Hey Mash,

According to the TM instructions, adjusting tension is just a matter of adjusting the TM position, in or out, relative to the throttle sleeve. This is done by loosening the bolt at the bar end, and moving the TM in or out, then re-tightening. Apparently it creeps in just a bit during the tightening process, so you have to account for that. Moving it in toward the throttle sleeve makes it tighter. Note that the TM is made to engage the throttle sleeve, not the rubber grip.

Flyin, I soaked the clutch side overnite in WD and it made no difference. The throttle side came out with no WD at all. Not saying the WD can't help, it just didn't help in this case. One further note - upon further inspection I found a fair amount of hand grip adhesive was holding the grommet thingy in the clutch side - apparently when the grip was installed some excess adhesive got in there and glued it in place - explains why I had a tough time getting that one out. Since the throttle side grip is only glued to the throttle sleeve, not the bar, I had no problem over there. Go figure!

BTW, I ordered a new handlebar. Dammit!

Thanks Wind. That's what I needed to know.

Personally, I use the TM quite a bit....especially outside of the city. Great for hand breaks, which reduces the chance of numbness. (Did that sound weird?) B)

M

Did that sound weird?
Well, yeah, but I got the drift. I had a helluva time trying to word that whole "in-out motion of the TM position" - that one could have gotten real entertaining.

I've had real problems with hands going numb on this bike too. The TM install is part of a larger overall farkle that includes barsnake and Beston grips, in hopes that the three in combination will bring the problem down to a dull roar. Time now to wait for the new bar and the liquid barsnake to arrive, then we'll see if it helps. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

I had no big issues with mine, done about a month ago. I did the WD-40 thing, was very careful to keep ithe puller aligned, used heat, and when it seemed to be getting real tight, I backed off and used a little more heat. Both inserts came out fine.

The FJR model doesn't use shims - you just fiddle around with how far you stick it in the bar before you tighten it up - this established the clearance between the end of the throttle tube and the TM.

I've had three of these now and they all work great, albeit pricey.

- Mark

Windjammer,

Throttlemeister is in Milwaukee. I am going to their shop to have mine installed next week. I spoke with Fred at the shop and he offered to install for me. Address and phone number is on the website.

Hey Brewtown, thanks for the heads up. I spose I could have rode down there for installation. Not sure why that never occurred to me, I knew they were local when I ordered. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm out of the woods now, and after experimenting with installation to determine how this will all fit up I think I'm really going to like the TM. The real problem I had was not with the TM anyway, it was the difficulty of removing the insert sleeve, which is Yamaha's part, not TM's so I can't blame them. I just happened to get one on the clutch side that was a real bear to remove. I'm over it. New handlebar and liquid barsnake are en route, then I'll have all the gear to complete the "bar farkle".

I installed my Throttlemeister today and also took the opportunity to put on some ProGrip gel grips.

Overall, the Throttlemeister install couldn't have been easier. I gave the old inserts a small spray of Seafoam Deep Creep (more or less the same as WD-40) before attaching the puller. Once the puller was on correctly, I just popped out the inserts and carefully cleaned out all of the lube before starting the install.

I had to fool around with the throttle lock side quite a few times before getting it perfectly positioned. (Actually, I got it perfect the first time but I didn't realize it and had to try another five or six times after fooling around with it.

My only advice: Take your time and recheck everything before and after locking things down with the provided Locktite. Follow the directions, I never had to really torque on the puller, you should feel it getting easier to turn as the old insert starts to move into the puller.

I rode about 250 miles yesterday without the Throttlemeister and my right hand was yearning for a rest halfway through. I can't wait to try this out.

Cheers,

Jim

Got the new handlebar today and put everything back together. Installed TM with no further trouble and it works nice. I used the old school grips like I have on my Norton, found the right length grip for FJR on ebay. Between the grip change and the heavy style TM it seems a LOT less buzzy. When I would touch the old bar ends they had a high frequency buzz, not real bad but it was there. There's still vibration at the bar ends, but the frequency is much lower. Going for a long ride this weekend, see how it all works.

After reading all this crap, you guys have got me thinking I hosed up something (well, except that my TM works great). ;)

I got a used set with no instructions. I unscrewed the existing bar ends, put the friction sleeve on the throttle tube and screwed in the TMs. Done!

What am I not understanding about this thread that makes this process seem so difficult? Or do ya'll just like making things complex for the sake of a challenge? ;)

I had no problems either but some have had problems pulling the old inserts. :eek:

Some have said the thought glue from the grips got into the insert. :unsure:

got a used set with no instructions. I unscrewed the existing bar ends, put the friction sleeve on the throttle tube and screwed in the TMs. Done!
Well, there's those little inserts inside the bar that the stock bar-ends screw into. If you never removed those, then I don't know how you installed the TM at all, unless you only got half the parts in the first place and never knew it. TM sells a different kit for each model of bike, are you sure you got the right kit? Not sure what to tell you, tempted to say if it works don't fuk with it, but you may want to contact TM and ask for a copy of the instructions, there is a safety concern if they're not installed right. :unsure: