Tiger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripletango

Reaction score
The Tiger is a tall bike not as tall as the old one but big just the same. It has soft compliant suspension and large brakes that should stop it as well as they do the S3. Ice was on the road and the bike was fresh out of the crate so no riding.

I did notice that the bike is easily moved from side to side with very little tendancy to drop as the c of g is quite low. The bike feels light because of this and with that 1050 in it and the TOR cans on it - it should be a ripper.

The tank and forward accoutrements look like they will provide good protection and the air flow is said to be far better controlled than on the old Tiger which was a buffeting bitch.

Went over to the Suzuki shop and sat on a dl650. Tiger about same size - bikes feel similar. DL 650 about half the cost and half as fast but comfy and capable in its own right. Owned both the old tiger and a dl650, nice bikes in their own sweet way but the new Tiger is an ass kicker and should be lots of fun and a hell of a lot more comfortable than my 05 speed triple that I sold with the remains of half my goolies stuck to the hideous saddle.

The Tiger saddle is huge and comfortable you can even move back and forth on it. I like it but need to ride it first to make sure it is what it appears to be. A really sweet bike for hauling the freight over long distances and in great comfort all the while fending off a whole bunch of high performance jobs that bring on arthritis just looking at em.

Hmmm definite possibilities it has.

Too bad the single purposed it. I'd been in if they kept it a dualie. Sigh.
I think it is still as much of a dually as the DLs. Change the rubber and you are there. It is not the same as an adventure bike like the KTM 950s or the GS - much more of a road bike but with the right rubber it shoud be fine for fire roads etc. because the suspension has sufficient travel for that duty.

The great thing about the DLs - they are priced right new and in the used market they are real bargains. However in a shootout there is no comparison the Tiger is far more trick.

I like the Tiger. I just can't reach the ground when sitting on one! Got a picture? I would love to see it.
I can't flat foot this bike but you can shift from on side to the other easily as it is light and very easy to hold up. i sold my DL to a gal who was not tall but she loved it. She is an advanced riding instructor at MSF and even now says it is her favorite bike. You just have to adapt with this type of bike or stick to cruisers!

rightangle_blue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My local dealer has 2 Tigers on the floor, 1 white & 1 black. I sat on them and they are very comfortable and fit me really well. I did have to slide to one side to touch the ground, no big deal I do that now on my FJR. I had a demo ride on a Sprint St a couple years ago and loved the triple engine. The new 1050 Tiger should be really good, fully adjustable suspension, USD fork, radial brakes, light weight 437 lbs. dry. Optional hard bags and center stand kinda sucks but at least they are available. Really has me thinking, I have a soft spot for Triumphs I bought a TR6R new in 1970 and had to sell it when I got drafted in the Army, I still think about the good times I had with that bike.

I'm 5'-7" 29"-30" inseam. I can touch my toes with both feet but need to slide to one side to put my foot down.

Too bad the single purposed it. I'd been in if they kept it a dualie. Sigh.
I wonder how difficult it wold be so "space" the front fender higher, or replace it...then change the tires. That'd be a yee-freakin'-haw bike to ride to Alaska! Think of all the fun you'd have riding circles around the DLs. :yahoo:

That'd be a yee-freakin'-haw bike to ride to Alaska! :yahoo:
That’s kinda what I was thinking mm2. I’ve just been reading some of the “trip to Alaska” threads on Advrider. And was thinking about what kind of bike I’d like to make a trip like that on, other than the FJR, if the trip included the rough road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Personally, for me, I think the Tiger might still be a little on the heavy side when fully loaded with travel gear. But it’s got potential. I sure like it’s looks.

That'd be a yee-freakin'-haw bike to ride to Alaska! :yahoo:
That’s kinda what I was thinking mm2. I’ve just been reading some of the “trip to Alaska” threads on Advrider. And was thinking about what kind of bike I’d like to make a trip like that on, other than the FJR, if the trip included the rough road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Personally, for me, I think the Tiger might still be a little on the heavy side when fully loaded with travel gear. But it’s got potential. I sure like it’s looks.
The new Tiger is the same weight, 436#, as the DL650.

Ooooohhhhh! Raise the fender, have a "bash plate" made to protect the pan and exhaust, dual purpose tires. Uhm, "Hello DL-650, nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaaahhhhh...good bye!"

And no matter what you ride, when loaded with travelling gear, the handling gets "interesting" when the pavement ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooohhhhh! Raise the fender, have a "bash plate" made to protect the pan and exhaust, dual purpose tires. Uhm, "Hello DL-650, nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaaahhhhh...good bye!"
My thoughts precisely! They are coming out with a fenda extenda for the new Tiger so that's a good thing. A bash plate that would attach to the SW Mototech crash bars probably isn't too far in the future either.

I like the Tiger. I just can't reach the ground when sitting on one! Got a picture? I would love to see it.
I can't flat foot this bike but you can shift from on side to the other easily as it is light and very easy to hold up. i sold my DL to a gal who was not tall but she loved it. She is an advanced riding instructor at MSF and even now says it is her favorite bike. You just have to adapt with this type of bike or stick to cruisers!

rightangle_blue.jpg

My 1959 does NOT look like that!!

rightangle_blue.jpg

My 1959 does NOT look like that!!
This post is useless without pictures! :yahoo: