Time for a new bike...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote given your criteria is the S10. Reliable, powerful, comfortable. If you look, you can find a low miles used one and save enough to buy a wee strom.

I opted for the KTM 1190R. Wonderful bike but not as low cost and DIY service friendly as the S10.

I was hot to buy a s10 until I rode one. Just didn't push my buttons. There are quite a few holdover Africa Twins out there, both straight stick and DCT. 16's and 17's. My biggest objection to the AT is tubes in the tires.

Yamahasupertenere dot com.
Not as extensive a history as here I don't think. Definitely far less going on than advrider, but model specific. Should be all the info you'll need on the Tenere, though.
I just had a quick look at the S-10 forum. Looks like a good resource. I guess there is no bike in this (or any other) category that is right for everyone! From KLR 650 to BMW R1200GS. Every bike seems to be loved by some and reviled by others!

I want to keep it to bikes with enough presence for a decent dealer network and parts availability. Ease of self-maintainability is important (as is reliability). In this area, KTM, Aprilla, Motoguzzi etc. do not make the short list. While a large proportion of BMW owners question why anyone could possibly consider anything else, the maintenance cost and vehicle reliability are more daunting than the initial (high) cost.

In my region, there is really not that much in the way of recent model used "Adventure" bikes for sale - at least not at a reasonable price. With the current state of the Canadian buck, buying south of the border is not likely, (unlike when I bought my lightly used FJR eight yeas ago). More are available in Quebec and Ontario so I might hit the Kijiji ads there.

Regarding the Tiger, I have never ridden one but I have talked to several owners and they all like them except that they put out a lot of heat. I know you do not like the Africa Twin, but that would be my choice over the Tiger. My son-in-law sold his Super Ten to get an Africa twin and liked it so much that he now has two; one red, white, and blue and one red and black.

For the smaller bikes, it looks likes the mid sized singles are going to disappear in favor of twins. I assume that is because the twins run cleaner. I know that the KLR has been around a long time and has a dedicated following, but if they stop making them then support will eventually fade away. I also prefer fuel injection, so that gives the Wee the advantage over the KLR for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahasupertenere dot com.
Not as extensive a history as here I don't think. Definitely far less going on than advrider, but model specific. Should be all the info you'll need on the Tenere, though.
I just had a quick look at the S-10 forum. Looks like a good resource. I guess there is no bike in this (or any other) category that is right for everyone! From KLR 650 to BMW R1200GS. Every bike seems to be loved by some and reviled by others!

I want to keep it to bikes with enough presence for a decent dealer network and parts availability. Ease of self-maintainability is important (as is reliability). In this area, KTM, Aprilla, Motoguzzi etc. do not make the short list. While a large proportion of BMW owners question why anyone could possibly consider anything else, the maintenance cost and vehicle reliability are more daunting than the initial (high) cost.

In my region, there is really not that much in the way of recent model used "Adventure" bikes for sale - at least not at a reasonable price. With the current state of the Canadian buck, buying south of the border is not likely, (unlike when I bought my lightly used FJR eight yeas ago). More are available in Quebec and Ontario so I might hit the Kijiji ads there.
I made the switch over to the S10 and I wouldn't go back even if I didn't have stiff knees. I like the roomier seating and with the Yamaha touring shield, different seat it's a quieter cockpit for me. You have to get used to the throb of the twin versus the silky smooth inline 4. The bike has plenty of power even up here in the altitude with 2 people. Yamaha reliable too.

If he looks for a used S10, what years should he look for?
Thanks for that. If I decide to go for the Tenere, I think I would want to have the electronic adjustable suspension so nothing before 2014. I haven't done enough reading to know what upgrades have been made since then (other than paint color).I'll have to see what the guys on the Tenere forum are saying about the various model years.

It takes so much time to find a new bike that fits. In the end I hope you make the right choice.

ST versus Connie versus FJR. I spent weeks trying to figure it out.

I made the right choice in the end.

Good Luck,

Dave

Hi Ross,

Did you spy the 2018 Tenere at the Halifax show - that blue looked sharp.

For the type of riding that I suspect you plan on doing, the Super T is the logical choice. I really like the way the back seat can be removed for carrying more gear. Nice big platform.

And after riding my new FJR, the electronic suspension is a nice extra.

Canadian FJR

Hi Ross,
Did you spy the 2018 Tenere at the Halifax show - that blue looked sharp.

For the type of riding that I suspect you plan on doing, the Super T is the logical choice. I really like the way the back seat can be removed for carrying more gear. Nice big platform.

And after riding my new FJR, the electronic suspension is a nice extra.

Canadian FJR
Hi Scott

Didn't see you at the show (I left by 12:30).

Yes, I had a good look at the Ténéré. Tried to get someone at the booth to talk to me but the three people on the floor were too busy talking to each other! Maybe I didn't look like I was interested. (Do you recall what dealer that was?)

If I decide to go with this bike, I would definitely do the ES version. The Ténéré is on one end of the spectrum of bikes I would consider - BMW is outside the envelope! The bike was displayed with the hard panniers but I am not sure they were included at the price.

On the other end of things is the Wee-Strom. It comes very nicely equipped with an included 5 year warranty and a $500 gas card (at 60% of the price of the Yamaha). Only 70 HP (vs 108) but 85 lb lighter and better gas mileage. Not the equivalent of the Ténéré for sure but might get the job done. I haven't ridden either bike. Got a picture...

40651687461_42c6c854fd_c.jpg

The bags, skid plate and windscreen are nice Givi stuff and engine guards/hand guards are included.

No cruise or heated grips.

Chain vs shaft drive.

Yamaha vs not-Yamaha

etc.

Edit: Added a pic of the Ténéré

38842148750_1436eb8486_c.jpg

If he looks for a used S10, what years should he look for?

2014 & newer. There has been subtle changes and refinements with the later Gens. The cruise, traction control and overall comfort puts it inline with the R1200 GS. I rode a GS in Europe about 10 years ago and I really wanted one. The higher initial price and some of the required maintenance kept me from it. The Yamaha's are pretty bulletproof overall. Mine gets 60 MPG cruising on hwy. The bike feels great at 80. I gave up dirt riding so this is a road bike for me.

Yeah, think so. And for the type of riding you'll probably be doing I'm not sure spoke wheels are that important. Suzuki's "skid plate" is sort of a joke also.
You've probably already read it but this seems like a good primer for anyone curious: 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and V-Strom 1000 first ride review.
I read that article. Author favored the Wee.

The Suzuki skid plate is a joke - mostly plastic, I think. The Givi plate on that bike appeared to be fairly substantial. The panniers and top box were nice too. All things being equal, I prefer a cast wheel but agree that if rough off-road is a big part of your application, the spoked wheels might be preferred.

I've only thrown a leg over them all, but from an ergo point of view I was surprised that the way I fit on the Africa Twin makes it most appealing to me. I also have heard that Honda they really has the auto clutch dialed in. If I was getting a big bike to really do dirt I think I'd consider it first, as it just feels lighter and more nimble. But I just bought a YZ250F so my FJR has a full blown motocross playmate now
smile.png

You're doing yourself a huge disservice by not considering the BMW 1200GS Adventure. The Tenere and Tiger only hope to even get close to the capabilities of the GS. Oh, I know...$$$. Except by the time you equip a Tenere to be anywhere near a standard GSA, you'll be out more money.

The maintenance on the GSA is super easy. Easier than my FJR will ever be. If you're worried about money, don't go with the full bells and whistles model. Get a new bike without losing your mind, and you will have a great machine.