Time to give up riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
I just met with my Kaiser cardiologist, which was a hand-off from the cardiologist who took care of me at the non-Kaiser hospital I was admitted to. I am on a blood thinner, Plavix. Apparently if you have a head injury while on blood thinners the bleeding can be uncontrollable and fatal. My cardiologist thinks riding is highly risky in this situation. My thought is that I can do some things to futher reduce my risks, such as cease riding on rainy days. But I don't know what I'm going to do. Others must have gone through this decision--What have you decided?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd keep riding, just more carefully and cautiously than ever. After all, we're all going to die sometime.

You need to talk to Turbo Dave. This is the time old question, quality of life or quantity of life. Tough call, and until I'm faced with the same dilema, Dunno. I'd like to think I'd choose quality.

I agree with Big Sky. Too many other things could get me and I wouldn't be willing to give up something I love as much as riding. I'd just make sure my finances were in order, have a will, and plenty of life insurance to take care of those I might leave behind. I would slow it down a bit and take a few less risks if possible.

I gave up butchering animals, cutting down trees, and starting model airplane engines :huh:

Still ride the Feej, but for good or bad, have never gone down <knock on head> :yahoo:

Thinking about never shaving again :rolleyes:

Keep riding, you are going to die of something some day. Might as well go out doing something you enjoy. B)

Keep riding, you are going to die of something some day. Might as well go out doing something you enjoy. B)
+1
+10, Double Gunny! Have been on blood thinners since October 8, 2005 when I had my heart attack. Live until you die. I want to croak while screwing, on top of a 19 year old redhead with tits as big as my head! jes' sayin' Brother Hans, you enjoy riding so damn much: I think it'd be harder on your heart if you quit motorcycle riding!

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep riding.

It's one of the few things to look forward to. I'm on thinners, 2 DVT's in the RT leg because of a medical condition.

My mate has a bad heart condition, on heaps of various drugs. It's one of his few joys left esp when he's told he had 6 months and it's been 1 1/2 years.

I bought the Spot2 tracker and all the contacts inc the emergency medical details have my details listed.

Carry a good first aid kit.

The question I'll pose back is how important your riding is as part of your life? Remember our talking about not enjoying weekend rides as much? Try getting to work without the bike for a couple of weeks and maybe then do a weekend ride. How many of your inner circle are through the riding bond? You'll know your own answer, cuz it ain't coming from other peeps on the Neenerneenernet.

Awareness and context in all things, mi amigo!

Gotta weigh in on this one too, Hans. I already knew motorcycles were dangerous. Knew I could get killed on one. Decided to ride anyway, and every time I get on, I decide to ride it again. If I get arthritis in my wrists or shoulders so bad I can't sit on a bike, if I come down with some horrible middle ear disorder that gives me vertigo so bad I can't stay upright, if I lose my vision, then I'll give up riding. I guess. But not till then. Not till I freaking have to. Not till I can't ride.

Hey, Danger IS my middle name. ;)

I'd just make sure my finances were in order, have a will, and plenty of life insurance to take care of those I might leave behind. I would slow it down a bit and take a few less risks if possible.
Indeed. I was on Coumidin for a number of years, didn't affect my riding. My cardiologist wasn't happy but he's not an alarmist so he just let it pass. I had/have my emergency medical info in the red pouch on my 'Stitch. My mom just passed away so Happy Rider's comments are spot on.

Just QUIT doing those right side lane splitting maneuvers, fer Christ sake! That in itself will add years to your life! :lol: :lol:

Hans, David here. We haven't met yet because I was banged up and couldn't make your big show in Eureka. Sorry about that, would have liked to heard you and might have even liked meeting you.

We (Colleen and I) had to consider the ride or not to ride choice from a "same but different" view point. No heart issues, no stress issues, no blood thinners playing into the decision. But, we got all wired back together and then the bone doctor(s) came around with the "let's discuss motorcycles" discussion. We were advised by each of the many that they could not in good conscience give us their doctoral blessing to keep riding. The reasoning is that with the many plates and rods, we were at more risk in an accident. The leg that usually breaks and then resumes something close to a normal position wouldn't next time, the rod within would bend, perhaps dramatically, and would make repair a real difficulty. Likewise with the back and the associated erector set.

Our conclusion: The wise and smart thing to do would be to not ride. Find another outlet, chase a new experience, find a substitute hobby. But we promptly bought a new bike, farkled it up, and have started riding again. Why? Simply, we weren't done yet.

The blood thinner is a new dimension to the discussion. Colleen grimaced at your conundrum and then said "any head injury puts him at risk including car accidents, falling down stairs, etc. At least on the bike he would have a helmet. Of course, the bike ups the odds a bit for the accident".

Our conclusion: The wise and smart thing to do would be to not ride and wear head protection at all times. It is not what we would do though, we have already proven our foolishness.

We (Colleen and I) had to consider the ride or not to ride choice from a "same but different" view point. No heart issues, no stress issues, no blood thinners playing into the decision. But, we got all wired back together and then the bone doctor(s) came around with the "let's discuss motorcycles" discussion. We were advised by each of the many that they could not in good conscience give us their doctoral blessing to keep riding. The reasoning is that with the many plates and rods, we were at more risk in an accident. The leg that usually breaks and then resumes something close to a normal position wouldn't next time, the rod within would bend, perhaps dramatically, and would make repair a real difficulty. Likewise with the back and the associated erector set.

Our conclusion: The wise and smart thing to do would be to not ride. Find another outlet, chase a new experience, find a substitute hobby. But we promptly bought a new bike, farkled it up, and have started riding again. Why? Simply, we weren't done yet.
+Gunny.

Annette and I had to make the same decision in '08 after our off-roading adventure in Virginia. Laying in the hospital, my wife resident at the same medical facility, hit me hard. I made up my mind that I was done with motorcycling; I could not stomach the fact that I was the cause for Annette's pain. It was Annette who knew motorcycling was not done with me yet. She was the driving force behind putting the '09 in the garage. Our doctors gave us the same talk, "too dangerous, increased risk for more serious injury, etc".

What it has meant for us is that we enjoy and savor every minute & mile so much more now. And it has made our time together on the bike even more memorable.

Wayne

I'm on thinners as well since my bypass last summer - I was on the bike 2 days after I got home from rehab (I was in hospital for almost a month because I got an infection plus pneumonia).

Didn't have a lot of stamina at first and the incisions hurt with every bump, but after a week or two all was well and I was getting back in shape (round is a shape) - amazing how uncomfortable I was the first time I got on the bike - especially considering I never had issues with 12 hour+ riding days before the episode. Now all is well.

Ride - and wear a helmet. If you crash and bleed out you'll never know. I hear it's a painless way to go - admittedly not from anyone whose been down that route . . . ..

I can also recall a Doctor telling me that because of my extreme nearsightedness, that I was an increased risk factor if I received a blow to the head. He suggested that things like skiing, snowmobiling and motorcycles should be reconsidered. Thirty years later I couldn't imagine not having done those things.

They will have to pry those cold rubber handles from my grip!!!

I rode every day this week 25 to 30 degree weather. Most peeps think I am nuckin futs. Still haven fun and enjoying life. As long as i can still saddle up the feej I will keep riding. To many places I haven't seen yet.

Good luck with your decision and as most have said keep going. You never know when your last day here on this planet is coming so enjoy the ride while it last. You can trip on sidewalk tomorrow and end it all. So I vote to keep riding.

Good luck Hans with your decision my feejer Friend.

Dave