Tire Group Buy research...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had 2 sets of PR2s, in my experience the front tire goes long before the back. I've managed 6k out of the front at best. The rear lasts till about 8k for me. I can't speak for anyone else's experience, and I am certainly not a tire expert, but for me the bad period happens when the sides (I guess this is the dual compound?) gets to a point where it suddenly grinds off really quickly. Then the bike is just all over the road obviously in a really bad way.
I just bought another set out of habit, but storms may be next.
This happened to my front BT021 too, but after checking the pressure I realized I was running 4-5 psi low. I had just returned from a long trip and had ridden I77N through WV very hard with a heavy-laden bike on a hot day. Essentially, I ground off the dual-compound softer stuff just adjacent to the harder stuff at the center of the tread pattern. The front was shot. Not the tire's fault. My fault.

but for me the bad period happens when the sides (I guess this is the dual compound?) gets to a point where it suddenly grinds off really quickly. Then the bike is just all over the road obviously in a really bad way.
Exactly so. Approaching 5900 miles on my PR2's, and I can not wait to dump them even with a good couple thousand miles of treadlife remaining. It's a struggling to maintain a decent line in fast sweepers; in the tight twisties, the bike is a complete mess - handling is all over the place. Bah.... :glare: these tires are outta here....
I agree, but the Storms, as great as they are, just don't last long enough for me to justify the expense. I'm going to need a rear PR2 if not a front as well by the time I get home, the rear is starting to cup a bit and flat from all the slabbing lately. Looking forward to more info, and thanks for doing this buy...

I'd be interested in pricing for Storms... I think that's where I'm headed when I swap out my current PR2s.

I'm just 4,000 miles into my first set of PR2s. The jury is still out for me, but it will be interesting to see how they do in the last half of their life. So far I like them. The Storms have been one of my favorite tires though and would buy another set in a heartbeat.

GP

Nothing yet.

there are actually two vendors that have expressed interest in being suppliers to this *potential* group buy. Cycle Crazy whom I'll follow up with again tomorrow, and another who's a member of this forum that reached out to me and promised pricing.

(That pricing has not come.)

I'll ding the Cycle Crazy guys tomorrow or Wednesday (time permitting) and will make a call on moving forward or canning the project on Friday.

-MD

I didn't hear of any action on this so I bought a rear tire. Thanks anyway, Matt.

I will be needing a new set very soon. I would be in on a group buy of the PR2's if price is right.

I didn't hear of any action on this so I bought a rear tire. Thanks anyway, Matt.
Understood...

I hope to post a go/no-go decision by end of the week. Still waiting to get some info from the preferred suppliers. At the very least I'll post up a couple good places to order.

-MD

OK so here's the dealio.

My goal in all of this was to move some tires for my new friends at CycleCrazy, cause they treated me very well when I was in a tough spot and are generally speaking a great, small, family run independent moto shop.

They are ready and willing to work on a group buy but the PR2 tires are constrained or the fronts simply aren't available. They ordered a few sets last week when they were told they were but only got rears. Fronts are still unavailable until late Aug/early Sept.

Some folks have them in stock.

if you're in a bind check these guys. www.twobrotherstires.com

Nothing new is going to happen here until Cycle Crazy is confident they can get the goods. I have no desire to put together a group buy if it looks to be problematic. Not being able to get the goods IS problematic.

I believe there is sufficient interest to sell 40-50 sets just about anytime on this board if the prices are good enough. We're still targeting the $275 range (delivered).

But again, not until they can get hands on product.

-MD

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is sufficient interest to sell 40-50 sets just about anytime on this board if the prices are good enough. We're still targeting the $250 range (delivered).
WOW! That is a really good price. I bought 3 sets of PR2s at $275 on the last group buy and would like to buy at least 2 more sets for next year.

I believe there is sufficient interest to sell 40-50 sets just about anytime on this board if the prices are good enough. We're still targeting the $250 range (delivered).
WOW! That is a really good price. I bought 3 sets of PR2s at $275 on the last group buy and would like to buy at least 2 more sets for next year.
Whooops, my bad... $275 is the target price (delivered). (edited prior post).

Damn keyboard... sorry for the confusion.

I set up the last group buy and this is perfect timing. I am in need of a set too and that sounds like a great price. Let me know if you want me to see what my contacts are willing to do. If not I would gladly try out some tires from your contact.

Count me in if we can do this fairly soon.

Edit: I got in on Trent's group buy (I have 8,600 miles on the original '05 tires) and won't be needing tires for a while.

It just so happens that I was talking to a regional distributor for Michelin motorcycle tires (while he spooned my new Storms onto my rims this afternoon), and he confirmed that the PR2 fronts are out of stock almost everywhere at the moment. He had a few, but said they are not being shipped for whatever reason.

I just started another group buy for the Roadsmarts if anyone is interested. I did not want to get in the way of tire you were putting up and thought it might give you guys some options. We ended up selling a ton of the PRII's back in February when I did the last group buy and I think I am going to give the Roadsmarts a try this time around.

OK so here's the dealio.
My goal in all of this was to move some tires for my new friends at CycleCrazy, cause they treated me very well when I was in a tough spot and are generally speaking a great, small, family run independent moto shop.

They are ready and willing to work on a group buy but the PR2 tires are constrained or the fronts simply aren't available. They ordered a few sets last week when they were told they were but only got rears. Fronts are still unavailable until late Aug/early Sept.

Some folks have them in stock.

if you're in a bind check these guys. www.twobrotherstires.com

Nothing new is going to happen here until Cycle Crazy is confident they can get the goods. I have no desire to put together a group buy if it looks to be problematic. Not being able to get the goods IS problematic.

I believe there is sufficient interest to sell 40-50 sets just about anytime on this board if the prices are good enough. We're still targeting the $275 range (delivered).

But again, not until they can get hands on product.

-MD
I've got plenty of miles left on my front and rear PR2's. Count me in for another set if that price holds. Thanks.