Tire Plug / Re-Plug Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
Early last year I picked up a nail in my rear tire. I plugged it with the worm type tire plug. I didn't have the goop you smear on the worm before before inserting it. I know I'm leaving myself wide open for abuse after that comment.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, the tire has been leaking about a pound or 2 a day since that time. Do you think it would be possible to remove the plug with pliers and redo using a new plug with the proper goop? There's a good bit of tread left.

Thanks in advance for the helpful advice and rude comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I would remove it with pliers, but ream the hole again. Anything that doesnt stick should get pushed in, then replug it with the goop And a fresh worm. Hopefully that will maintain a complete seal.

What PJ said. The strings without the glue are missing an important part. I would push it on, simply because pulling it may be a bitch, and re-plug it. IF pulling it is easy, do that. Probably doesn't really matter.

I had that happen with the rubber cement. I pushed it through and re-did it. Worked the 2nd time, and no problems.

If re-reaming yields a larger hole, you can use more than one worm (or "sticky string" as I've heard them called). I've also found that getting the tire carcass good and hot and flexing it (riding the bike) will help the seal. I've heard that described as "vulcanizing" the repair.

The trick with tar strips is to wad the excess inside the tire. Twist the tool when removing. The air seal does not occur in the tread but against the innermost layer of rubber.

Also, there are different size "strings" out there. I've found 2 different sizes myself, and picked up both. The fatter ones tend to work best, especially when you use the ream tool with authority. ;)

I've done my repairs on Bridgestone T-30's, which is a stiff tire. I've done it with air, and no air. For me, having no air made it easier to get the plug in. Ymmv.

Wheatie plugged his rear three times in one day. That's the rear tire I'm referring to.:) :) :)

Double plug that bastard after reaming the hole. Twist that bastard before pulling it out. Just so you know I've got a mighty big reamer and it takes awhile to get it in.

Btw, that Kali trip was the first time ever...to plug a tire. So I was just a virgin then, learning the sticky string ropes.

Btw, I think Ray put a hole in my tire...but I got him back on CA36.

I didn't think you were supposed to apply rubber cement onto the worms; just patches.
In any case, I had the same issue last year on a new tire and I was able to pull out a good portion of plug before installing a new one. But, my problem with the slow leak was due to the fact I reamed a hole 90 degrees into the tread when in fact I was in a really good lean when I picked up the nail. Poke around a little and see if you dont have a hole on a bit of an angle.

I just replugged the tire. I left the plugged section of the tire in the sun a while before starting the repair. Tried to ream through the original plug and it pushed back inside the tire. No big deal. I reamed the hole and it looks quite clean. Removed air from the tire, put the rubber cement on the hole and on the string and reinserted and removed. Reinflated the tire and it's setting outside curing in the sun.

I've used the sticky strings in the past to plug a nail hole and never had to redo it. Hopefully I'm good to go now until it's time to replace the tire before SEOH. Thanks to all who replied. I'll update later. Happy April to all the fools!

I did that a few years ago. I picked up a nail in a new tire so plugged it, a few thousand miles later it started leaking. I pulled it out with pliers, reamed it again, put in a new plug and finished out the life of the tire with no issues.

I picked up a piece of a staple in the rear tire on the Wee-Strom on Thursday somewhere in Sacramento.

I noticed the staple by chance when I was loading her up for the trip to Portland Friday.

Procured me a Slime Plug Kit, rubberized worms with a tube of rubber cement, and used it this morning before unloading the bike.

Reamed out the hole pretty good, inserted the worm with great difficulty I might add, trimmed off the excess, aired up the tire, no leak.

Unloaded the bike and rode it home, no leakage!

First time I've ever personally plugged a MC Tire.