Tire pressure monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a system is developed that can tell me the tire pressure while the bike is sitting in the garage, next to my compressor, I'll bite.
When mine works properly, I just roll it a couple of feet in the garage and the TPMS caps turn on and I get the reading. However, they do not always come on even after 20 minutes of riding. I still need to contact the manufacturor on this..

I got mine something like 15 to 20 yhears ago and it's still works great!

No battery swaps required yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long to the sensor batteries last on the Doran system? 50$ a sensor is pretty spendy to be replacing them more than once every couple years..
Sure, I'll do your research. Literature says 3 to 4 years. Mine have been in place for at least a year and a half.
You're totally right. I should have read the entire PDF owners manual to find out what the manufacturers expect battery life to be rather than ask actual product owners a single question about real world expeirence. Thanks for contributing to an open internet forum discussion.

Literature says 3 to 4 years. Mine have been in place for at least a year and a half.
These sensors can be installed inside or outside the wheel. According to Doran, if you install them outside and remove them when the bike is not in use the battery life increases to 6-7 years. Might be handy to know.

I didn't look at the pdf and I'm not going to because, HAHAHAHA!!!

But if it uses bluetooth or wifi, Probably because developing a new protocol to talk from the tires to a remote device would be extremely expensive. You might be able to pair the valves with your cell phone and drop the little display. Then you could get text messages or email or something when you need air. That could be funny too, plus i suppose if it gave change alerts you could use it as an anti theft device. of course wifi and bluetooth range would suck...

Do you guys have a device to check the air pressure between your ears? That can get messy too with all the ear wax and brain juice that might end up on your fingers. Or do you just run with empty heads?

How long to the sensor batteries last on the Doran system? 50$ a sensor is pretty spendy to be replacing them more than once every couple years..
Sure, I'll do your research. Literature says 3 to 4 years. Mine have been in place for at least a year and a half.
You're totally right. I should have read the entire PDF owners manual to find out what the manufacturers expect battery life to be rather than ask actual product owners a single question about real world expeirence. Thanks for contributing to an open internet forum discussion.
Actually, I did not remember the manufacturers expected battery life, so I went to Doran's site and looked it up so that I could be of help to you, as I really think the system is worthwhile. As a caveat to expected battery life, my rear sensor has given me a low pressure alert a couple of times in the last month or so, when in fact there was no problem. When it happens, I get off the highway, unscrew the sensor and screw it back on, and it seems to reset itself. This is a recent development, so I am wondering if the sensor battery is starting to fail. I intend to contact Doran about it to see what they say. When I find out, I will add to this thread.

I am unable to open your attachment to look at the product you are talking about. I am surprised that the batteries have lasted 20 years. As a chemist, I did not think that the battery technology was that good in 1989.

I am unable to open your attachment to look at the product you are talking about. I am surprised that the batteries have lasted 20 years. As a chemist, I did not think that the battery technology was that good in 1989.

I think that last sentence about battery swaps needed a smiley... Accu-gages are just fancy tire gauges and dont monitor anything in real time, thus have no need for batteries. Google is win.

I had the Smart Tire on my Goldwing, and found it to be excellent, accurate and reliable. Loved the tire temperature info, learned a lot. I have known folks who have had big handling problems with flat tires, but a TPM system will warn you before you have problems. I'll be putting the Smart Tire on the FJR in a while, and it is too bad the batteries have a finite life (should have 5 years to go), but I really like the peace of mind.

I think the Kisan system doesn't require batteries as the pickups are bike powered. May have to go that way next. By the sounds of it, those with the Tire Guard may not be totally happy with theirs.

I am unable to open your attachment to look at the product you are talking about.
it's a JPG file. your browser doesn't render those?
I get a new browser window with the message:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

And I am clearly logged on in the new browser window.

BTW, I did guess that you were referring to a standard gauge. I guess I needed a smiley on my battery comment.

I'll be putting the Smart Tire on the FJR in a while, and it is too bad the batteries have a finite life (should have 5 years to go), but I really like the peace of mind.
As long as you already own it, as they've been discontinued. I haven't been able to get replacement sensors, and the tire guys are hell on them.

Hmmm... and when I clicked on the attachment:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.The error returned was: Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.
Seems there's a buglet there, with the attachments stuff.

I recommend checking the browser settings. It should display in place and not as a pop up additional window. Perhaps the browser has the display graphics setting or the setting that remembers the login in spawned windows turned off.

In the mean time, a different link is...
t_31993_01.jpg

As long as you already own it, as they've been discontinued. I haven't been able to get replacement sensors, and the tire guys are hell on them.
I was able to score a replacement receiver from Vulcan Tire Sales a few weeks ago... have you tried contacting them Toe? Website says they're in stock for $42 each... I might even pick some up now that I think about it... for the future date when mine stop sending.

Replacement Sensors

I was able to score a replacement receiver from Vulcan Tire Sales a few weeks ago... have you tried contacting them Toe? Website says they're in stock for $42 each... I might even pick some up now that I think about it... for the future date when mine stop sending.

Replacement Sensors
They don't list them as a stock item anymore.

Bounce,
No, it isn't. You have it as an attachment. Also note the number of downloads:

Attached File(s)Attached File accu_gage.JPG ( 11.42K ) Number of downloads: 0
i understand. typical configureats see it below the attachment line as an in-place graphic. that's why there are no downloads.

And, since I know this might go on forever, here's a screen shot of how the typical browser setting renders it.

screen-shot.jpg

I was able to score a replacement receiver from Vulcan Tire Sales a few weeks ago... have you tried contacting them Toe? Website says they're in stock for $42 each...Replacement Sensors
Thanks Dan!

Just ordered two. Now I just need to keep the tire machiners from tearing any more up. I've lost two already, and need one right away. I'll keep one for a spare, and hopefully not need it....