Tire Problems...maybe?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrats84

Reaction score
I have a 2006 with 7,200 miles on the original tires. I run the back at 41psi and the front at 39psi. I have recently felt as if I was riding on marbles and it is extremely uncomfortable. I cannot track in a straight line and forget about cornering. I have looked over the tires numerous times and there is plenty of tread left on them. I don't see any bulging or anything unusual. The only thing I have done to the bike within the past month is adding a PCIII. I have lost confidence in my riding ability because of this.

Any suggestions of what this could be? :unsure:

Check the torque on the fork pinch bolts. Don't ask how I know that this causes handling issues :ninja:
Interesting. Could you explain to me where they are and what they should be?

Pretty pleeeeeease.

Agrats,

Sounds like by the Age & Mileage(original tires), changing out to New Tires will most likely solve your problem. The rubber is most likely not Flexible. Best to change after 3-4 years.

Good Luck.

If you're comfortable that the tires have been eliminated as the cause, other reasonable possibilities could be steering stem bearings (adjustment, state of lube, or bearing condition), wheel bearings, or forks that need servicing.

(Although I agree that 3-4 year old tires should be changed regardless)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2006 with 7,200 miles on the original tires. I run the back at 41psi and the front at 39psi. I have recently felt as if I was riding on marbles and it is extremely uncomfortable. I cannot track in a straight line and forget about cornering. I have looked over the tires numerous times and there is plenty of tread left on them. I don't see any bulging or anything unusual. The only thing I have done to the bike within the past month is adding a PCIII. I have lost confidence in my riding ability because of this.
Any suggestions of what this could be? :unsure:
PRII's?

Check for cupping or other external wear problems, put the bike on the centerstand and rotate rear wheel/tire and check for tire runout or other bulges and then prop the front wheel off the ground and check for runout/bulges there. Definitely sounds like a tire problem.

I'm gonna disagree a little. If the tires are checked as above (and have no defects or age signs like small fine cracks in the sidewalls) you can run them. But if they are the Metzler Z6 tires, I had similar experiences, especially in fast sweepers or if even a little rain, right around the same mileage mark as yours.

They wore out faster after I noticed they were a bit squirrelly. I swapped them out at @8500 miles if I remember right. The other thing you can try (I'm reaching for straws) is throw 42 PSI front and rear and see how that goes.

Another thing to check: the tire guage. Mine fried somehow after 2 years and was off by 4 pounds -- check with another guage to confirm pressures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna disagree a little. If the tires are checked as above (and have no defects or age signs like small fine cracks in the sidewalls) you can run them. But if they are the Metzler Z6 tires, I had similar experiences, especially in fast sweepers or if even a little rain, right around the same mileage mark as yours.
They wore out faster after I noticed they were a bit squirrelly. I swapped them out at @8500 miles if I remember right. The other thing you can try (I'm reaching for straws) is throw 42 PSI front and rear and see how that goes.

Another thing to check: the tire guage. Mine fried somehow after 2 years and was off by 4 pounds -- check with another guage to confirm pressures.
+1 on hte Metzler Z6 feeling crappy once worn. Changed mine out at 7339 and found a new bike. Pilot power up front and PPR2 on the rear SWEET.....

This may seem overly obvious, but could you have lost your wheel weights? It's not unheard of for a strip of sticky weights to come off, especially after several years. If you are way out of balance, that certainly would cause the problem you're describing.

I agree that tyres could well be the issue, particularly if they are Bridgestone BT021s, as were OEM supplied on my '06. As the front tyre aged, it seemed as if the bike was riding over a road scraped ready for resurfacing, sort of wriggly and not wanting to hold a line.

It also develops a characteristic 'V' wear profile.

Another FJR owner I know has had exactly the same symptoms with his '09.

It was discussed in this thread.

My solution (after 3 front BT021s - I'm a slow learner) was an Avon Storm ST. I've not worn that enough to say how it will turn out.

I also much prefer a higher front pressure, I usually go with something like 41/43 front/rear (measured cold).

Check the torque on the fork pinch bolts. Don't ask how I know that this causes handling issues :ninja:
Interesting. Could you explain to me where they are and what they should be?

Pretty pleeeeeease.
I dont know if you got a PM on pinch bolts or not but........look at the forks, there are 3 points of contact on each fork, and if any bolts on the whole chassis need to be torqued spot on, its these! And they should be torqued in a very specific sequence. (Check your owners manual for torgue specs and sequence)

Between forks bound up (not torqued correctly) and tires, can make your bike feel like the whole front end is about to fall off.

7200 miles, IMO there used up, I could only get 2500 out of mine, and I was down to the cords.

New tires will make you think your on a brand new bike!!

My Metzler Z6's had it around 7800 miles. Same squirrly charactor as you describe. The new tires (PR2s) were a huge difference.