Tire Tread Depth (Metz Z6)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
On my 1 week old 2007 FJRA (with Metz Roadtec Z6), I thought I'd measure the tire tread depth before I get real busy scrubbing off as much rubber as I can on Hiway 49 tomorrow (Sat).

I measured 5/32 on the front and 7/32 on the rear, which does not seem like much rubber for new tires.

I would be curious to know (for those of you with relatively new tires) to know what you have found on your machine relative to tread depth.

Perhaps with Z rated tires the tread depth must be shallowish for safety reasons. I know the Dunlops (2 sets) that I went through on my HD FXDX Super Glide Sport had significantly more depth, although I never measured what they came with, I would suspect they were in the neighborhood of 9/32.

Feejers Rule!

all i know is that i have 6660 miles on my z6's and am now showing the steel belts

installing new road pilot 2's next wed. :yahoo:

How do I know when I'm close to done on the rear without a center groove or sipes that cross the center of a Z6?

Don't worry...the tread depth might acutally increase over time....

33248.jpg

Link

On my 1 week old 2007 FJRA (with Metz Roadtec Z6), I thought I'd measure the tire tread depth before I get real busy scrubbing off as much rubber as I can on Hiway 49 tomorrow (Sat).I measured 5/32 on the front and 7/32 on the rear, which does not seem like much rubber for new tires.

I would be curious to know (for those of you with relatively new tires) to know what you have found on your machine relative to tread depth.

Perhaps with Z rated tires the tread depth must be shallowish for safety reasons. I know the Dunlops (2 sets) that I went through on my HD FXDX Super Glide Sport had significantly more depth, although I never measured what they came with, I would suspect they were in the neighborhood of 9/32.

Feejers Rule!
I got 3300 miles on my 07 (all of them commuting on the 5 and 405) and no visible tire wear. I did not measure the threads when I bought the bike new last year but I check air pressure every week to make sure of proper inflation. I installed grip warmers and they work wonder in these cold Southern Cal mornings.

Keep the shiny side up!