Pilot Road 2's Rear Tire Wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running them to the cords doesn't count... :eek: :lol:

--G
But of course it does. As shown about there are hundreds perhaps thousands of mile to be had once the center wear bars are worn out!

This is the thread that keeps on giving!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fires up onlineconversion.com...

17,398 miles out of PR2 Bspec. Swapped for a set of PR3's (so far, love them). I ended up selling the take off set to a buddy with ZX10 (he's heading out west next month and didn't want to have to spend $$$ for an interim set..) for $50. Funny bit is this guy is a instructor and club racer. He actually LIKES the PR2's given the mileage I get out of them over his usual Pirelli's. He's pretty sure he's gonna mount up a set of PR2's for his trip.

I guess the back had about another 1000 miles left in it (with me riding). After looking at the tire on the Kawi last night. I'm guessing about 250. When I asked him how many miles he's got on them since the swap.. "About a 100" :D

Still, these things handle like crap the last 15-20% of their life.
I don't know how some of you guys get 12-14,000 miles out of a set.
Huh? I get 16-18,000 miles out of a set. I don't know how anybody else doesn't get that! :)
The timing of this thread was perfect for me. I bought the bike a year ago at 5000 mi and by 7000, the belt was showing. There was also a nice flat spot right down the middle. I replaced the tires with an identical set or PR 2 (as they came with the bike) and I felt like i was balancing on a train rail with the new ones.

I am about to turn 20,000 miles I was wondering when this set was going to need replacing. I recall how quickly the tread wore once the belt showed last year and I was concerned I should change the rubber before NAFO but they're still quite round on the bottom and the middle tread groove is just about at the centerline. Good to see others are getting life out of theirs. Puts my mind to rest.

All of this PR2 talk has provided the incentive to place a set on order. I just got my 08 AE at the end of Mar with 1667 mi with the Battlax 020 stockers. Replaced the front 020 with an 023 (supposedly better/longer lasting) one month ago at 3048 mi, have 4577 on it now with the front already half cooked with the rear 1/2 way through the wear bars. Cant see replacing a front every 6-8 weeks and a rear every 3-4 months as I ride year round. Looking at a 5 day BRP run the last week of June, and definately dont need anything but solid performance. Maybe I'll burn up my Bridgestones before I never see them again.

I think I got 12,000 on my BMW R1200R with a track day, and frankly only got new tires because I was scheduled for another track day.

I kept the tires at sec'd tire pressure. No 2 up, And I think cases ugly'd up the bike - so I'm the only load.

Yes this thread will keep giving!

Thanks again Fontanaman for cutting the PR2, I've thought about that a bunch but never did it. So great learning points. In the interest of teetering on NEPRT and because I have no willpower, I wanted to state I now have 18,000 on my PR3 front tire (I estimate there is about 2k of tread left) and have been getting ballpark 10k out of rears. I'm 220 pounds with gear, heavily loaded rally and LD touring for nearly all of it. Some like to collect this info so I thought I'd spout.

Will probably cut open this front and see what we can learn although my calipers are in storage :(

Thanks again

Just to add to the thread that won't die, My front tire is just shy of the wear bars at 5,100 miles, and the rear looks like it has another 1,000 in it. This is the most life I have ever gotten out of a tire and am very satisfied. Mostly high speed to medium speed twisties up in the Crest going at a good clip. The tires have worn out on the edges first, but that is to be expected. I just bought another set to replace them. One of my co-riders at the Crest has only gotten 3,000 miles out of the Pilot road 3s, so I am sticking with the 2s. ;)

I'm at 17,438 miles on a set of PR2 and still going. Hoping to replace in a month or so prior to a trip.

Just changed my second set.

First set was changed at 11,208 with 5000 of those miles from different user. Tread was showing on back tire when changed and wore rapidly (150 miles) from the time the first cord started peeking through to the point where it looked too dangerous to drive.

Second set changed at 24,500 miles (13, 300 miles total). Probably had another 1000 miles or more left but I was planning a 2000 mile trip through the mountains and didnt want to chance it.

Most of my riding is highway with less than 5% city. Heavy loads usually too with 270 pound rider and probably 50 -80 pounds in the rear. Both tire sets showed significant cupping (or scalloping as Jeff called it. Same thing?) I am not anal when it comes to tire pressure and usually find them to be under-inflated (38 psi) when I do check.

I was successfully persuaded to try the "Ride-On" balancer/sealant in this set and will post my findings in another thread some day.

I think I get the award for the biggest pussy rider on here! Well second to MajBach. :yahoo:

I'm at 17,438 miles on a set of PR2 and still going. Hoping to replace in a month or so prior to a trip.
Wow. I mean wow.

I must be doing something wrong to wear off rubber that much faster...and I'm not crazy on the throttle either.
Yeah, it's weird that one group of people gets 11,000 - 17,000 miles out of a set of PR2's and the other gets 5,000 - 6,500. I wouldn't consider myself 'crazy on the throttle' either, but there's clearly some factor in common among riders in each of the groups. I'm careful about pressures, never ride two up - I just don't know.

+1

I suspect that it must have something to do with the road surfaces typically being ridden on.

My experience has been squarely in the middle of the reports, with ~9k per rear and 11-12k per front. So either I'm doing something right or I'm doing everything wrong. :rolleyes:

+1

I suspect that it must have something to do with the road surfaces typically being ridden on.

My experience has been squarely in the middle of the reports, with ~9k per rear and 11-12k per front. So either I'm doing something right or I'm doing everything wrong. :rolleyes:

I still think it has a lot more to do with throttle and braking than road surface. Oh, and mass too! Go on a diet you guys! :p

Thats interesting you mention braking. I never engine brake. Don't know if that has something to do with it.

I will mention the handling sucks with these tires and that many miles. You can definitely feel a difference.

I'm still up in the air about whether to get PR3's or 2's?

Thats interesting you mention braking. I never engine brake. Don't know if that has something to do with it.

I will mention the handling sucks with these tires and that many miles. You can definitely feel a difference.

I'm still up in the air about whether to get PR3's or 2's?
Really? So you never let off the throttle?

I'd just wait for the PR4s. I'm sure they will get it right (eventually)