TIRES?? What tires are everyone running on their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty silly argument but I wonder if we aren't arguing different points. I understand that they are closing (may have already) the UK Avon plant. Are you saying that they will not produce Avon branded tires at other locations? Because that doesn't seem to be what Goodyear is saying.

No argument here. Just telling you what I read after googling mulitple phrases for Avon motorcycle tires. I looked for other tire plants that would be producing the tires in the US and found nothing so far. I found one article that said they moved some production for avon to Serbia, but didn't say if that included motorcycle tires. The article only mentioned Car and truck tires. I assumed that all Avon motorcycle tires were produced at the UK plant and I believe they are. I wasn't talking about car tires. Those will probably remain in production under the Goodyear umbrella.

You found nothing so far? Even though the article from Goodyear EU says "continued commitment to motorcycle tires"??? Seems odd.

Holy freaking hell this thread is still going.

Okay well I might as well report in. I got the RoadTec 01s installed, ran to TN/NC, ran to NY, really, really liking them. I rode them about as hard as I personally wanted to on the tail and they seemed to do great.

They are beginning to cup in the front, but that may be due to me neglecting air pressure for a couple hundred miles when our temp dropped like 40 degrees. Pennsylvania things...

Overall still very happy. Next time, I may pay a shop to change them and actually balance them...

Ha! When do tire threads ever die?

Marc Parnes balancer! Learning to mount and balance my own tires has saved me a ton. And the last time I had a shop mount and balance new tires they didn't even try brushing the dirt off the wheel. Theoretically it didn't really affect the balance but I still stick with the theory that if they are lazy about things I can see what else are they skipping or doing poorly.

The first tire change on my FJR I just rode it in because the dealer was 50 miles from where I lived. I got it home and noticed that the able pinch bolt didn't appear to be in all the way. It wasn't. I was able to turn it with the tip of my finger. Also the last time I rode in for a tire change. And never had them perform any work again.

You found nothing so far? Even though the article from Goodyear EU says "continued commitment to motorcycle tires"??? Seems odd.
Ah there it is. I see what you are talking about. But seriously, no other articles I've found mention that. And I spent a while online looking. Maybe Ive got a bad search engine. :)

I recently put a new PR2 on the rear of mine. Was able to find some 2 years ago with nearly new date code. I always loved those tires on the back. But, alas it is my last NOS PR2.

Bought some Shinko Raven 9’s for the next go. I’ve read a few bad reviews, but I just have to try them at the price I got them for. I’m not really hooning around much anymore anyway. I bet they’ll be fine. I’ve been very impressed with the Shinko DS / ADV tires I’ve bought in the past, and apparently others have too, as their prices increasing would indicate.

Of course, especially with tires, YMMV.

I recently put a new PR2 on the rear of mine. Was able to find some 2 years ago with nearly new date code. I always loved those tires on the back. But, alas it is my last NOS PR2.
I also liked the PR2 on the rear but hated the PR2 front tire. Seems like it wore to the classic trapezoid shape in just a few thousand miles, no matter what pressures were used. Were like crap for the last half of their life. Usually used a Bridgestone BT023 or T30GT on the front when I was using those Michelins.
Edit: I think @Fred W put me onto that combination.

I've gone through a lot of tires (and combinations) in 450,000 FJR kilometers. Even dabbled on the Darkside for a time...

Last edited:
Yep, that was my favorite setup. I’ve got a Metzler something or other on the front now with the PR2. It’s ok, but not as good as the Bridgestones were.

I’m new to FJR. Been running shinko’s on my KLR and Royal star venture. I like them except for the mileage I get from them. And with price of shinko’s prices going up I’m looking at longer lasting tires. I ordered the Dunlop RS3’s. Should be here Tuesday. Have them on Wednesday. Then run them around Northeast Tennessee, southwest Virginia and southeast Kentucky over the weekend and see how the do

I’m new to FJR. Been running shinko’s on my KLR and Royal star venture. I like them except for the mileage I get from them. And with price of shinko’s prices going up I’m looking at longer lasting tires. I ordered the Dunlop RS3’s. Should be here Tuesday. Have them on Wednesday. Then run them around Northeast Tennessee, southwest Virginia and southeast Kentucky over the weekend and see how the do
I used to have a Venture. Pretty bike, but too heavy for my taste...
You're right about Shinkos. While not a bad brand by any means, they have had the reputation of being a crappy budget tire. It is apparent they will have to stand on quality since they are pricing themselves out of the budget category. Lots of people like them...

I think you will enjoy the RSIII. I am waiting to install the RSIV I have had sitting on the shelf for almost a year waiting for my Bridgestone T32GT to wear out.

Like others here I ran the PR 2 on rear as long as could get them. Have gone to PR 4 in replacement (frugal). Seems ok so far.

Unlike others I have run t31 and t32 's on front but got triangulation wear. Went back to last PR2 I could find and again like many before got very uniform wear. Do not know where I will go on that end next.

Hi again!

I'm curious as to what tires everyone is running and how they like them and what kind of mileage they get.

I'm shopping for my next set, my Pilot Road 4s the bike came with have probably 1-2k left. I'm between Roadtec 01s and Road 5s.. But the Road 5s are curiously cheaper than the Road 4s...

My friend with his FJR has Road 6s, but they don't seem to last that long especially for the money. I'd like to see 6-8k miles on a set to the wear bars. Priorities are cold/wet weather grip, life, and cost. Handling as good as or better than the PR4s I have now would be nice.

Thanks in advance
An-guy I've used Pilot Road 3,4, and 5. Over 73,000 miles on my FJR. In terms of the Michelins, I've gotten the best service life from the threes, but now my latest set that I got through Amazon are Perelli Angel GT 's. They were a new model tire, and I read the reviews on them. I bought two sets, and at the time Amazon was selling the front and rear as a set, and the price couldn't be topped. Less than three hundred dollars for a (front and rear) set, so I bought four tires. I got over ten thousand miles on the first rear, and am still running the front, although it's nearly time to change, and it has close to 13,000 on it. Wet and dry performance is very good for me, although I'm 63 and a very conservative rider. I don't know, if you're an aggressive rider you may find the Pilot Roads to be more suited to you, but I've no complaints with the Pirelli's

I got every mile I could from this tire. I liked these tires so well I wore them out...
View attachment 5337
That looks like the Angel GT that I just had changed out in DesMoines on the way back from Everett, Washington. I bought a cheap Dunlop, knowing it'd at least get me back to Atlanta. Just installed my new Angel GT rear. The Dunlop's going to be saved in case I should sell the bike in the future, and I need to put something on that still has rubber left.

6000 miles in on my roadtec 01s with my "erratic" riding style, from the tail of the dragon to below 30 degrees and rain for hours, they've been solid so far. They're probably about 500-1000 miles above the wear bars. If I could find an easier way to change the tires, I'd be set.