TIRES?? What tires are everyone running on their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an-guy

hi
Reaction score
Hi again!

I'm curious as to what tires everyone is running and how they like them and what kind of mileage they get.

I'm shopping for my next set, my Pilot Road 4s the bike came with have probably 1-2k left. I'm between Roadtec 01s and Road 5s.. But the Road 5s are curiously cheaper than the Road 4s...

My friend with his FJR has Road 6s, but they don't seem to last that long especially for the money. I'd like to see 6-8k miles on a set to the wear bars. Priorities are cold/wet weather grip, life, and cost. Handling as good as or better than the PR4s I have now would be nice.

Thanks in advance

I like the round black ones with tread on the outside and air on the inside.
When the tread or the air is gone, it's time for a new tire.
I would really like it if both the tread and the air lasted longer.

I've tried a bunch of different tires over the years and the only ones I didn't like were any of the Michelin front tires.
Keep in mind I'm talking about Michelin front tires on my scooter with me driving. Others have different opinions.

dan

YMMV

My FJR came with Bridgestones, and they didn't last 10K. From there I went to Michelin Road 3 GT, followed by Road 4 GT. Great tire in the wet, but still only getting 10-12K. Next I chose Pirelli Angel GT, which I loved. Nice, quiet tire with great grip. Sadly a nail ended the rear tire prematurely, so I ended up with Dunlop Roadsmart 3, which lasted nearly 15K, but with a lot of cupping. TBH, I kept them on too long. I just switched to Metzler Roadtech 01, and am really liking them so far. Not as quiet as the Angel GT, but they grip nicely and appear to have an aggressive rain tread. We have to wait and see how they do this winter.

I've been running Pirelli Angel GTII A spec for the past 3 sets and I really like them. As already pointed out, quiet, great dry and good wet traction. Mileage for the rear is about 9~10k, front about 12k. Mileage will vary depending on your riding style.
I've have tried (on this and other bikes) Bridgestone, Michelin RP5, Dunlop and Metzler.
For now - I'm sticking to the P's, with the only other possible choice being the Michelins 5 or 6.

I run Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I get 4k to 5k miles on the front and 5k to 6k on the rear. I've tried Sprit STs, Angel STs, T31s, PR4s, & Q3s and all of them were at least 1k fewer miles, some as much as 3k fewer miles. I live in Knoxville and ride the Dragon's Tail a couple of times a week. The Dragon eats tires. The price per mile for the Roadsmart 3s is excellent and I've experienced no issue with either traction or cupping. I'll probably try the Roadsmart 4s just to check to see if the extra mileage is worth the extra cost.

Been running Bridsgestone Battlax Since I've had the bike, starting with the T21s back in 2012. Now on T32s. Last about 5k front, 6k rear, running 39psi F, 42psi R. While I'd like longer wear, I like that they're equally sticky in rain and dry, steer neutrally, and aren't too harsh of a ride. Like everything, though, YMMV.

I just put on Dunlop Mutants. I have about 500 miles on them and so far very happy.
Previous tires were Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT. The rear tire let go several times when turning from an intersection, just let off the throttle, upright the bike and proceed with a faster heart rate. That would happen over the life of those tires so I adjusted. The Michelins lasted about 10K miles, could have gone a little more but I typically ride 2-up on the 2016 FJR, my favorite bike.

I know, I know... I started a tire thread on a motorcycle forum. Might as well have been asking everyone who they vote for. I did try searching but couldn't find anything newer than when Road 3s would be considered brand new. And to be honest I wanted subjective opinions of what people here have been using and about how many miles they get with an FJR. Thanks to everyone who responded

I'm very very curious as to how long those Mutants last @Stat as I was considering those too now. They just have all of the siping lol. And a good price. I had some form of Roadsmart rear on my VFR800 and it would slide all over the place in the rain...

I'm pretty much between Road 5/6 and the Roadtec 01 still. Not sure if the extra 70$ is worth it for the R6. But I'm pretty happy to hear that there are people getting 10k miles out of a set of tires. I ride about 4k a month and have a trip coming up :/ so tires get expensive.

A single data point on Road 5 vs 6. I found the Road 5 wore out quicker than the Road 4’s and the Road 6’s I am using now.
Road 5. (One set) approx 8000 km (5000 miles)
Road 4 (two sets) approx 10000 km
Road 6 (one set) over 8000 km now and still going.

Of course YMMV :)
-Steve

My FJR came with Bridgestones, and they didn't last 10K. From there I went to Michelin Road 3 GT, followed by Road 4 GT. Great tire in the wet, but still only getting 10-12K. Next I chose Pirelli Angel GT, which I loved. Nice, quiet tire with great grip. Sadly a nail ended the rear tire prematurely, so I ended up with Dunlop Roadsmart 3, which lasted nearly 15K, but with a lot of cupping. TBH, I kept them on too long. I just switched to Metzler Roadtech 01, and am really liking them so far. Not as quiet as the Angel GT, but they grip nicely and appear to have an aggressive rain tread. We have to wait and see how they do this winter.
"Quiet" that 'sounds' good to me up front.
My Bridgestone is sooo noisy on certain road surfaces that it becomes extremely unpleasant even with earplugs in !

I know, I know... I started a tire thread on a motorcycle forum

If you buy a $10k , $20k or $30k motorcycle, and tires are the only thing between you and the very rough road ... i would suggest that $300 or so is not 'too much to pay' for saving your skin, maybe your life, and/or enjoying the ride!!!

For the record I use Michelin PR4 almost religiously. As always ... YMMV

Last edited:
If you buy a $10k , $20k or $30k motorcycle, and tires are the only thing between you and the very rough road ... i would suggest that $300 or so is not 'too much to pay' for saving your skin, maybe your life, and/or enjoying the ride!!!

For the record I use Michelin PR4 almost religiously. As always ... YMMV
Expensive doesn't necessarily equate to better in terms of traction, handling, rain performance, or longevity. I will take a Dunlop Roadsmart III over a Michelin or Pirelli Angel GT - especially the front. (Yes, I have tried just about everything but the Road 5 and 6. Too many good tires out there to pay a premium price for what is (IMHO) average rubber)

That said, it is false economy to wring every last possible mile out of a set of tires...