Tire Valve Stem Replacement Intervals

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tanker, we met at the Tech Day in nowthen this year. very nice bike by the way. I just changed tires for the first time myself. I was also worried about changing the valve stem, and didn't want the 90degree stems so, I went with the ones kurvygirl as well. with them being just a tad shorter it's far easier to get the air chuck in there to check pressure and inflate. I will also not have to replace them in the future. I would recommend them, and my advice if you haven't changed tires yourself before....when I lubed the tire it was much easier. I did the front without, and fought it every step, i did the back with lube, in out done!

I think I'm going to install these in my next tyre change. I just checked it out and it said :

"Tighten first locking nut to 2.25Nm (20in-lb) to 4.5Nm (40in-lb), then attach second nut to double lock valve stem on motorcycle."

Does it mean you tighten it to 20 in-lb, then tighten the same nut again to 40? Then put on the 2nd nut? No torque value for 2nd one?

Should I put Loctite?

Thanks.

I think I'm going to install these in my next tyre change. I just checked it out and it said :
"Tighten first locking nut to 2.25Nm (20in-lb) to 4.5Nm (40in-lb), then attach second nut to double lock valve stem on motorcycle."

Does it mean you tighten it to 20 in-lb, then tighten the same nut again to 40? Then put on the 2nd nut? No torque value for 2nd one?

Should I put Loctite?

Thanks.
Sounds like poorly written instructions.

Remember what it is you are trying to achieve. All you need is an airtight seal that remains that way, so snug the first nut down to seal the inside of the stem to the rim, then tighten the second nut against the first, holding the first to prevent over-tightening and warping. That first nut doesn't need to be too tight or you will deform the seal .... hence the 20 in lb suggestion.

Don't use threadlock anywhere there is rubber or plastic.

Thanks Twigg! I do know about Loctite eats plastic but I also read here that people putting Loctite when they install the 90-deg valve stem? Some metal stems even came with Loctite precoated?

Should I put Loctite?

Thanks.
The brackets and the alternate units make it a bit confusing but I think they are just saying tighten somewhere between 2.25Nm to 4.5 Nm.

That is a torque range.
It should have said, toque first nut from 20 to 40 lb in. Torque second nut (lock nut) snug to lock in place.
Locktite is not required due to the rubber seal absorbing the shock/vibrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're doing tire pressure monitoring, I'd use the t-stems from tpms.ca to avoid any potential issues with clearance to the front brake calipers. These also allow you to add air without removing the sensors. I have them installed on mine.

Some stems come with pre-applied loctite, if you do your own, apply it to the threads after assembly, to avoid contact with rubber or plastic seals, then snug up the retaining nut(s).

Tanker, we met at the Tech Day in nowthen this year. very nice bike by the way. I just changed tires for the first time myself. I was also worried about changing the valve stem, and didn't want the 90degree stems so, I went with the ones kurvygirl as well. with them being just a tad shorter it's far easier to get the air chuck in there to check pressure and inflate. I will also not have to replace them in the future. I would recommend them, and my advice if you haven't changed tires yourself before....when I lubed the tire it was much easier. I did the front without, and fought it every step, i did the back with lube, in out done!
Nice to hear from you.

Thanks for the link to "Kurvygirl", those stem's look good also. I already purchased some 90 degree stems, so I'm going to give them a shot, when they come in on Thursday.

I'm all set with the tire lube and will be sure to use it accordingly. Looking forward to some new tires as the front 023 Bridgestone is really getting scalloped at only 4,500 miles.

+1 on the Kurvygirl short metal stems. They've been on my 07 since my first tire change more than 75,000 miles ago and are still working perfectly. I use a 90 degree angled-head tire gauge, so don't have a need for 90 degree stems. ;)

Glad you figured out the lube trick. Not only does it make the changing easier, more importantly it allows the tire to seat COMPLETELY. I learned that lesson the hard way many years ago when a front tire seated with no leaks but vibrated horribly because the bead didn't completely seat on part of one side despite a large compressor providing air. Talk about a out-of-round tire situation! :(

Their website checkout interface is not the best, I tried twice to place an order and it failed to process...I ordered the same through Amazon at same price without a hitch.