To anyone who has had a gen II fairing off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas transit

Reaction score
as you are sitting on the bike right under the right handle bar (when you are full lock to the left) is the inside of the fairing its black, what is under it or behind it looking for a place for a new farkle and want to know if I can drill into it??? thanks Stan

The battery. Its pretty tight under there, I would remove the panels before doing any drilling. :blink:

Thanks v65, I hoping that I could drill a 3 and 1/2 inch hole saw there I wanted to sink a cup holder there perfect place for me. But alas.

A cup holder? I think we might be talking about different spots here. There is a vertical black panel that would be close to the right handlebar at full left lock. At the base of this panel is a horizontal black panel that has the battery beneath it.

Behind the vertical panel is a myriad of things: the bolts for the mirror mounts, the small tubular frame that the front cowling attaches to, and numerous electrical doo-dads (relays, wiring, etc.). I would think that you could mount a cup holder here, although the cup would be hard to reach when going straight. I think others have used handlebar mounted cup holders.

BTW, these panels are not hard to remove for investigation. In fact once you have had them off once its damn simple! ;)

This is what I use for a cup holder:

https://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-plas...amb132b-wh1.htm

And to attach it to the handlebars I use this:

https://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-moto...l/ramb309-6.htm <-- Mounted (use included bolts to replace stock bolts) in front of the piece that holds the clutch lever)

And a short arm to connect the two balls:

https://www.gpscity.com/item-ram-mount-3-in...ets/ramb201.htm

I don't think you could sink a cup holder INTO the panels anywhere on the FJR. Like v65 said, pull those panels just so you can look under them and see how easy they are to pull. Plus the fuses are located under the horizontal panel on the right so it's good to be familiar with taking those panels off.

Last edited by a moderator:
A cup holder? I think we might be talking about different spots here. There is a vertical black panel that would be close to the right handlebar at full left lock. At the base of this panel is a horizontal black panel that has the battery beneath it. Behind the vertical panel is a myriad of things: the bolts for the mirror mounts, the small tubular frame that the front cowling attaches to, and numerous electrical doo-dads (relays, wiring, etc.). I would think that you could mount a cup holder here, although the cup would be hard to reach when going straight. I think others have used handlebar mounted cup holders.

BTW, these panels are not hard to remove for investigation. In fact once you have had them off once its damn simple! ;)
Yeah, but that first time may lead you learning new words!!!! :angry:

OK. Now I have seen it all. What can't you put on this bike? :eek: I need to do a search on who has the most farkles on thier bike!!!

Thanks for the Pm kaitsdad. Thanks to everone for there replies. Yes I was going to try sinking a cupholder into the panel. But I understand that it might not be possible. You know as I sit here typing this I had to chuckle to myself. 23 years ago to get away for a weekend I would take my wallet, sunglasses, bungie a pair of jeans, swimsuit, and windbreaker to the back of the seat of my fj1100 and head for the south jersey shore, and here I am thinking about putting a cupholder on the fjr. Just made me laugh about how domesticated (old, fat, lazy) I've become. Stan

Anyone put a trailer hitch on thier FJR yet? I just got a great deal on a double door fridge and generator combo. Also thinking about installing a 42" plazma TV but the panels are a bit flimsy to hold the bracket although the Direct TV swivel antenna mount should be no problem. Wife said she would like to change the seat to a futon for added comfort. Looking into this now. Wait a second, they already have a vehicle like this, it's called a MINI VAN!!! Any help here would be appreciated! Ahh, the thrill of motorcycle riding!!! Nothing like the great outdoors!!

Thanks rayban, that helped greatly. mooniac, as soon as I get to the office I,ll show you a really tricked out fjr. stan

Here is my cup holder:

CAMELBACK-hydrapack06.jpg

Others use this:

https://skywaymotorcycleaccessories.com/sto...swb56re7369p06f

Y-FJR-HYD_lg.jpg