To Clutch Or Not To Clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
After putting about 1500 miles on my new '05 FJR I found the gearbox to be less clunky than it was at first. That's a good thing.

I also find myself snicking up through the gears from 2nd through 5th without using the clutch at times. I just back off of the throttle a little and ease the shifter up. I haven't tried clutchless downshifting yet, although I have done it many times on other bikes.

Do you always use the clutch? Any opinions about whether this is harmful the parts? I have the stock shift linkage. My only farkle to date is the addition of R&G sliders.

I look at it as a street bike and not a track bike. I use the clutch. I'm interested in low maintenance for the long haul. Yamaha put a clutch in there for a reason, so I use it.

I always use the clutch. Can't really think of a reason not to.

Larry

I can't force myself not to use it...

It's a strong deep-seated conditioning. Part of the coordinated sequence of actions prior to and during gear changes.

It's like not being able to deliberately piss in my pants... :blink:

(ask me again about this one in a few years, though... :D )

Stef

I have a class A license and in driving a tractor trailer the transmission doesn't have synchronizer and therefore you have to do that part yourself. In driving a tractor I don't use the clutch like in a car but many times find taking the trans out of gear is easier with the clutch and then I sync the trans and engine and don't use the clutch putting it into gear. Anyway a car and motorcycle are design differently and in some ways they are more tolerant of the engine and transmission not being synched and will let you put it into a gear that it really isn't ready for. I have driven tow trucks that are nothing but F450 that my boss who also had tractor trailers would have had a cow if I didn't use the clutch because he said it would over time do damage. So on a motorcycle especially street I use the clutch. If you were racing were every rpm lost counts and you are willing to replace parts more often maybe not but I wouldn't recommend it on this bike... Just my .02$

The cost of digging into and/or replacing transmission parts far outweighs that of a few friction and drive plates. I always use the clutch...Same with using brakes, cost of pads is much less than clutch / transmission.

--G

If you get the timing just right, clutchless upshifts are pretty harmless to trannies, but like wheelies, there is always opportunity for error. Clutchless downshifts are pretty hard on trannies, regardless of how good you are.

The tranny will take some abuse, but it is an expensive item buried really deep in the engine, so I use the clutch all the time. The problem is a bit insidiuous in that you can think you're pretty good and it will seem to work fine ... for 10K miles ... and then suddenly it starts jumping out of 2nd gear during hard accel and you've got a 3K repair bill.

- Mark

I have in the past (on older bikes) and know how to effectively change gears up or down without the clutch. On the FJR I don't do it just to save a "maybe" pricey fix down the road. The clutch is there, so I use it, like others have stated, and it is a natural unthought habit to do so, like teerex said.

You can switch gears without the clutch on cars, trucks, whatever, using the rpm's of the engine. Why bother, use the clutch.

I find that if I apply slight pressure upwards on the shifter as I accelerate that when I back off the gas just a hair, mine shifts noise free and very smooth. This has been the case with every bike I have owned. Never did any tranny damage to my knowledge.

On my street bikes I always use the clutch, on my dirt bike, I will do both. Maybe if I was riding hard on a track with the street bike, I would not use the clutch, but I just do not ride that aggressive on the street. Out in the dirt, when kicking up and having fun, I do catch myself shifting without the clutch. Having said this, I do think it is hard on the tranny and do not suggest it. But, ....

Many folks have touched on the proper technique for high performance shifting. I wonder how many of them realize what or why it works so well. As a street rider that wants a long riding career, I'm always looking to improve, and part of that involves participation in ERC courses, and soon the Lee Parks Total Control Riding Clinic in Phoenix. In preparation for that event, I have read Lee Parks' book Total Control High Performance Street Riding Techniques. It is NOT about racing, but rather, how some racing techniques will make you a better steet rider. He devotes an entire chapter to shifting, allow me to share with you how, why, and when to use the clutch.

"The basic upshifting technique involves preloading the shift lever with your foot with slightly less force than that needed to engage the next gear. Next, quickly roll off the throttle approximately 25% of its twisting range. When this happens, the torque force on the tranmission will temporarily unload, and the preloaded shift lever will now snick inth the next gear. For regular shifts at less than full throttle, a simultaneous light stab of the clutch will help ease this process. For full throttle "speed shifting," no clutch is necessary. In fact, it's actually harder on the transmission to use the clutch in this type of situation than to just let the loading forces do the job. Most riders are amazed the first time they find that they don't need to use the clutch in high-performance shifting. These techniques will make the ride noticeably smoother for passengers as well." He goes on to talk about high-performance downshifting. Suffice it to say it's more difficult and requires lots more practice.

For the past month or so I have been using this technique religiously on the FJR. As most of my shifts are at less than full throttle, I use a light stab of the clutch, but even at less than full throttle and higher rpms, I've shifted smoothly without clutch by the simple preloading of the lever and unloading the tranny. Lee was right, you won't believe how easy and smooth this makes the ride.

FWIW, this same technique is taught in the open wheel racing car schools like Derek Daley and Skip Barber that I have participated in. While these vehicles don't have a sequential gear box like the FJR, they don't have syncro's either, which is why the technique is used.

For full throttle "speed shifting," no clutch is necessary.
I totally agree.

Lee Parks has more experience than I do but his statements are sound to me.

His ideas are the same I used for dirt and track and it is taught by many.

However, like other have said, these situations don't come up much on the FJR when you are touring around.

The big difference in his teachings are that he is going to full throttle meaning that he is getting at the proper engine transmission point at which shifting without the clutch is possible. If you are not driving at that type of driving I would say it is better to use the clutch so it can help with synching the gears. These are wet clutchs and can take a lot of abuse but if you are just cruizing the highway what's the point???

Oh and I wear socks with my sandals because the sandals rub my feet raw so I must be gay :lol: