To Clutch Or Not To Clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big difference in his teachings are that he is going to full throttle meaning that he is getting at the proper engine transmission point at which shifting without the clutch is possible. If you are not driving at that type of driving I would say it is better to use the clutch so it can help with synching the gears. These are wet clutchs and can take a lot of abuse but if you are just cruizing the highway what's the point???
As Lee states in the text I provided, if you're NOT at full throtle, use the clutch!! A quick blip of the clutch lever is all it takes to effortlessly and smoothly engage the next gear. No need for the STP stuff in the oil if the less than full throttle method of shifting is used. It's buttery smooth compared to the clunking of a longer duration shift. I suggest you at least try it to see the difference for yourself. Use the clutch, but preload the shift lever.

Use the clutch on downshifts. Seldom use the clutch on upshifts. Once you get the technique down its smoother than using the clutch IMO.