To Turbodave98 from a fellow FJR rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good news. I'm thinking that even if the heart is mended and doing well, the cracked ribs will take a loooong time to knit, and they hurt like all getout. No need to 'splain how I know. Plus the muscle tissue will have to grow back together and, as a not so young man, the muscle tone returns slowly. Dave is a great guy and it's really good news to here he's doing well. Thanks for the address, I'll get a card in themail to him tomorrow (whoops, today).

"Good on ya'" for getting by to see him and reporting back to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean, would have been in SA today except when taking a physical in advance of the trip to Cape Horn and return, the doc found an anuerysm on my aorta. It kinda took care of that trip, surgery in a couple of weeks. Already have a backup plan to join the MTF ride to the Cape from Phoenix in summer of 06, if I can!!
I've just dropped back into this thread. I hope that everything is fine and you're looking at an outstanding year for 2006.

Someone needs to get Dave a recording of an FJR starting, then running through the gears. Nothing like the FJR clunk into gear, then the whine and exhaust note to help a man heal.Good on ya, Dave. Get all better so we can ride!

I'm sure a rather large burden has been released from the whole family....whew!
You mean like

here?

I called today but got the run around from the hosiptal, lost his home # but will go over as soon as the rain stops. He's a tough old bird but will need time to heal.

rogerfjrfaster :D

Toecutter ;)

I saw that wink, he told me 10 -14 days, then once he gets home longgggggggggg recupe time which is the worst. Your home but cant do anything. i think you guys got more tain the we did, I got 1/4' off the first and 1' off the last one ending last night.

I went and saw Dave this afternoon, he was in good sprits I guess as well as he can its hard for him to talk and you have to listen real close as his voice is real soft with the oxgen mask he has to wear, I talked to his nurse real nice guy he said that as soon as they gethis oxgen leval up he'l be able to go home. If you want to visit him he's in room 362 no phone. Kaiser hospital at the corner of Edgemont st and Sunset Blvd.

Thanks for the good news. I will get a card off today.

(LA) Roger, you don't know what rain is. Northwest got about 15" in twelve days. It ain't stopped for long yet. El Nino for sure.

Yeah I have heard about the chest bit. It's a good thing TD doesn't have a Gold Wing with an airbag. Airbags aren't safe till the cartilidge grows back.

Kaiser ain't the Hilton! Hope your recovery is comfortable as can be. I guess your marking the days off till you can go home. 2006 is just going to get better from here. B)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Hello to everyone!

I am Alejo, Turbodave's son in law. I 've traveled with my wife (Dave's daughter) from Pennsylvania on the 26th to help with all the errands related to the aortic replacement.

It was a long and complicated operation but everything went quite well. Our biggest concern was the fact that the operation involved stopping the heart and lungs, chilling Dave down to 18 centigrades, stopping the heart for a few minutes, to crank it up again.

All went better than well, and he is doing better than most of the other patients in the same floor. All in all, Dave was in pretty good shape - all things considered - due his motorcycle riding, camping with the clampers, and overall farking around the FJR. (This thing is as heavy as some Euro cars!!!)

All limbs working!, eye hand coordination working well, balance as normal.

Lungs need to reeinflate after being crumpled like paper bags during the surgery, but he has a pretty strong upper torso so he will be ok.

His voice is weak due some nerve damage inherent of the type of surgery, and we will now more or less in 90 days if he will need more treatment.

I can always get him a bullhorn ...

I've been firing up all the stable of bikes and doing a little riding myself (his orders) so they can be as ready as possible for him to move them around and firing them up as soon as he goes back home.

I've been going to the hospital every day, and he is in a really good mood and looking forward to catch up with some riding as soon as possible.

Thank you for your good wishes, concern, and sense of humour!

Alejo

Thank's for that thorough update on Dave's condition Alejo. I hope he's through the worst of it. I know that Dave will want to be back at the handlebars of his bike's ASAP. :)

Thanks for the good news. I will get a card off today.
(LA) Roger, you don't know what rain is. Northwest got about 15" in twelve days. It ain't stopped for long yet. El Nino for sure.

Yeah I have heard about the chest bit. It's a good thing TD doesn't have a Gold Wing with an airbag. Airbags aren't safe till the cartilidge grows back.

Kaiser ain't the Hilton! Hope your recovery is comfortable as can be. I guess your marking the days off till you can go home. 2006 is just going to get better from here. B)

:thumbup: :thumbup:
What if I tell you that he has not had a sternum incision but a back one?

That is better news ... the operation did not require removal of ribs or sternum incision, but chopping a lillte rib on the back - think of a saloon bar door - and wire it back together.

That will make his recovery even faster!

I went and saw Dave this afternoon, he was in good sprits I guess as well as he can its hard for him to talk and you have to listen real close as his voice is real soft with the oxgen mask he has to wear, I talked to his nurse real nice guy he said that as soon as they gethis oxgen leval up he'l be able to go home. If you want to visit him he's in room 362 no phone. Kaiser hospital at the corner of Edgemont st and Sunset Blvd.rogerfjrfaster :D
The oxigen mask is now off for most part of the day. He is eating really well, plus the surgeon told us to give him whatever he wants for the time given.

It is pepperoni pizza for him, Reese peanut butter, and I have to get him some yogurt that he likes.

After the hospital, it will be "unleaded" fuel for him. :D

He is eating really well, plus the surgeon told us to give him whatever he wants for the time given.
Does that include cigars? :lol:

But seriously, is he actually up for visitors? I know from the couple of times I was in the horsepistol, I just wanted to lay there and rest, but it was like being the host of a frickin' birthday party. If I'm ever in there again, do me a favor and go ride instead. "Do Not Disturb!"