To wear the helmet or.... a life jacket?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So does anybody understand what happens when the bike ingests water instead of air???? I saw "snorkels" for exhaust, but I didn't see any for intakes.

I tried to move my car out of my parking lot in 1995 during Opal. The water was rising from the bay behind my apartment and was over the sidewalls of the tires, but not hub deep, or into the bodywork. I went out to move the car to higher ground, but did not realize that the ground actually got lower between my parking space and the high ground. Bent a connecting rod when the engine stopped..... Insurance fixed it, but still unexpected. I thought I'd gotten to it in time.

Standing water lets you know exactly where the ground is higher and lower!! :)

So does anybody understand what happens when the bike ingests water instead of air???? I saw "snorkels" for exhaust, but I didn't see any for intakes.
I tried to move my car out of my parking lot in 1995 during Opal. The water was rising from the bay behind my apartment and was over the sidewalls of the tires, but not hub deep, or into the bodywork. I went out to move the car to higher ground, but did not realize that the ground actually got lower between my parking space and the high ground. Bent a connecting rod when the engine stopped..... Insurance fixed it, but still unexpected. I thought I'd gotten to it in time.

Standing water lets you know exactly where the ground is higher and lower!!
smile.png
Later in the video there were some black corrugated tubes poking up behind the windscreen for the intake.

Standing water lets you know exactly where the ground is higher and lower!!
smile.png
Later in the video there were some black corrugated tubes poking up behind the windscreen for the intake.
I saw the tubes going into the fairing, did not see them coming up behind the windscreen. Camera moved by that pretty quickly.

Still, electrical issues, the ECU, any seal or gasket that isn't perfect....... Would have served him right to have lost his balance on that bump he hit and dump the bike into the water, snorkels and all. Well, maybe "served him right" is too strong, but it's a stupid risk to take.

I just want to say that I am a germ-a-phobe and my skin is crawling by just watching the video. I cannot think of a place I would not want to ride a motorcycle less. Major urban area with flooded out streets. Sanitation and sewers are notoriously under engineered in 3rd world countries. Maybe 3rd world is not accurate, but build a boat and do not put me anywhere near the Honda Cesspool 650 if I have to drive it near those conditions. Sorry, I have to go take a bleach shower now!!

Btw, cool video and great engineering. What treats typhoid outbreaks again??

Looked like Thailand, based on T-shirt writing. Was that the same guy with a passenger in the first minute? So, is he offering "wet ferry service" to get you from one side of the flooding to the other?

Innovative, and you can't deny its short-term effectiveness.