Toll Road payments advise please.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my E-ZPass for several years now. No, I do not use it regularly, however whenever we go to Buffalo to visit family, it is handy. One time when we were coming home from Buffalo on the FJR, we got stuck in line waiting to pay the toll at the NY-PA state line. In the pouring rain.

Anyhoo, depending on where you're going, you may be able to route around the toll roads. The link in Joe's post (#7) shows, in red, the toll roads the the E-ZPass will work on.

One last question --- where do ya'll attach your transponders ? Windshield, arm band, etc ??
I've seen 'em Dual Locked between the windshield supports or whereever up front; John Ryan kept his in an arm band pocket from Aerostitch on his left arm, I just keep mine in a pocket in my tank bag and kinda slow down and pull it just outta the pocket and haven't had any issues. In fact, heading to NAFO4 in 'Sconsin, I rolled into a booth and had forgotten that I had it in there and the reader picked up my E-ZPass.

And if you come through central Ohio and could use a place to stay, hit me up. We are NW of Columbus and have plenty of room for wayward FJRers.

No toll roads in TN. So we're EZer Pass.
I'm sure you are aware, that doesn't mean they are free. It just means that they tax all of the residents as if they all use the roads at the same rate. So your FJR motorcycle (on topic content) pays for the road at the same rate as some behemoth tarmac eater, and the little old lady on the corner pays her "fair share" even though she only drives her car to church once a month and never rides on the "freeway" (there's a misnomer).

Tolls are not the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years ago I drove a car I sold to my cousin from CA To NYC. Paid no tolls until I got to the George Washington bridge. I had to swing far south of Chicago to avoid tolls. Given the crime in Chicago that was a good enough reason. Unless you are in a hurry or need to visit people in areas where a toll cannot be avoided, why not take US, State, or local roads. The scenery if much better.

As for the transponder, I put mine in the breast pocket of my high viz vest. Works great on all the bridges here in Kalifornia.

Thanks for all the responses guys - just ordered and paid for transponder over the phone.I'll only need it for less than a month then I'll return it and cancel the account.

One last question --- where do ya'll attach your transponders ? Windshield, arm band, etc ??
When I ordered mine (by Phone) I was told it will work located in my jacket pocket.
unknw.gif

smile.png
strike another off.

Thanks for all the responses guys - just ordered and paid for transponder over the phone.I'll only need it for less than a month then I'll return it and cancel the account.

When I ordered mine (by Phone) I was told it will work located in my jacket pocket.
unknw.gif
Thanks Petey

Two years ago I drove a car I sold to my cousin from CA To NYC. Paid no tolls until I got to the George Washington bridge. I had to swing far south of Chicago to avoid tolls. Given the crime in Chicago that was a good enough reason. Unless you are in a hurry or need to visit people in areas where a toll cannot be avoided, why not take US, State, or local roads. The scenery if much better.
As for the transponder, I put mine in the breast pocket of my high viz vest. Works great on all the bridges here in Kalifornia.
Thanks Art

I'm sure you are aware, that doesn't mean they are free. It just means that they tax all of the residents as if they all use the roads at the same rate. So your FJR motorcycle (on topic content) pays for the road at the same rate as some behemoth tarmac eater, and the little old lady on the corner pays her "fair share" even though she only drives her car to church once a month and never rides on the "freeway" (there's a misnomer).

Tolls are not the problem.
Well, TN is still one of the lowest tax states in the union, so from ElToro's perspective (and mine) tolls probably really are a problem. At least in Colorado they MUST remove the tolls once the road bond has been paid, but here in PA we've been paying for the Johnstown flood for what? 80 years now? Once the door is open it's never closed again, and the sheeple just get used to it.

Rog,

last year we went from NV, to BC, then across the US to Montreal , Ottowa etc, did the Gaspe peninsular. PEI, Nova Scotia, back through he New England states south to the Dragon / NC, then all the way across back to NV, mostly on 2 lane highways. The only toll we paid was getting off Prince Edward Island, tricky SOB,s let you on the island for free either by bridge or ferry !

Set your GPS to avoid toll roads and avoid big cities and you'll be golden. Have a great trip.

Rog,last year we went from NV, to BC, then across the US to Montreal , Ottowa etc, did the Gaspe peninsular. PEI, Nova Scotia, back through he New England states south to the Dragon / NC, then all the way across back to NV, mostly on 2 lane highways. The only toll we paid was getting off Prince Edward Island, tricky SOB,s let you on the island for free either by bridge or ferry !

Set your GPS to avoid toll roads and avoid big cities and you'll be golden. Have a great trip.
In 2014 I rode across to NY and then south. Stopped in Niagara Falls and walked across the Peace Bridge just to see the falls from the Canadian side. There was a turnstile in the Canadian customs shack on the north end of the bridge that took 50 cents to go past. Damn tolls are EVERYWHERE, David.

Tom,

Per the reviews I've read, windshield is the way to go. Seems to be "sometimes iffy" in a jacket pocket with no real explanation why ??

Type of jacket ?? -- what's also in the pocket ??

Anyway, thanks again ya'll. I still rely on this site
punk.gif
despite non FJR ownership :-((

I've been through a lot of toll lanes around here and still can't make sense of what works and what doesn't. Old one stayed in the top pocket of my tank bag and it was hit or miss. Moved it to the clear arm pouch on my 'Stich so I could wave it around but also so as not to hold up the line. (When the booths have gates you wait for a surly officer to come by who wants to take your tag and bang it on the controls. It's a PITA to fish it out of the bag with gloves on.) Did get a new tag last year and it's been back in the bag and so far good results.

Related story - a few weeks ago I borrowed my son's car to shoot into Jersey. He asked if I wanted his tag too (nice guy right?) but I declined and took my own. A few weeks later he shows me his statement showing he was charged for when I used it, 20 something bucks. He left his deep in the center console wrapped in the special plastic bag they send it in. It'll get picked up like that but have problems in a tank bag?? I'm sure there's logical explanations but I've just learned not to get aggravated when dealing with the state or city.

And now the Dumbass Edit of the Week: Just heard from a friend who told of problems when he switched tags in his vehicles. Of course. We, along with many others I know around here, have had one tag sitting in the drawer almost since they first came out and simply grabbed it whenever it was needed. Same with the MCY tag on the bikes. But over the past year there's been a big push to go to open road tolling and plate readers which I was well aware of. Just didn't put two and two together. I'm sure they read my son's plate and charged his account, most likely at the higher rate too. Guess it's time to order a few more tags.

Not gonna argue with Fred. We have no income tax. I pay $2000 a year on 2 acres with 3 buildings and over 5000 square feet.

The roads are paid for by gas taxes. That's how our road budgets are funded.

So all those cars driving the 500 miles from Memphis to Bristol make their contribution.

My FJR contribution is minimal, and proportional.

You know ... I was raised up there, and visit regularly. I wouldn't move back on a bet. And when you don't have them, the literal highway robbery of the toll road isn't something that you miss. Think of that tiny stretch southbound on any summer Sunday afternoon.

Rog,last year we went from NV, to BC, then across the US to Montreal , Ottowa etc, did the Gaspe peninsular. PEI, Nova Scotia, back through he New England states south to the Dragon / NC, then all the way across back to NV, mostly on 2 lane highways. The only toll we paid was getting off Prince Edward Island, tricky SOB,s let you on the island for free either by bridge or ferry !

In 2014 I rode across to NY and then south. Stopped in Niagara Falls and walked across the Peace Bridge just to see the falls from the Canadian side. There was a turnstile in the Canadian customs shack on the north end of the bridge that took 50 cents to go past. Damn tolls are EVERYWHERE, David.
We rode over the bridge into Canada, there was no toll !
rolleyes.gif

There are tolls here that do not have a pay as you pass lanes. EzPass or they send you a hefty bill in the mail. If you're an EzPass holder, you can do pay by plate... but is a much higher toll due to the fact that someone supposedly needs to actually look at you account. This is in Hampton Roads, VA. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge runs directly out of Virginia Beach, VA, which is Hampton Roads if you aren't already aware. They don't offer a toll discount for being on a motorcycle, either. They get your money any way they can.

TomInPA posted: Center-bottom of the windshield, using the provided 3M Grip-lock
Same here. Stuck to the inside, though, because, well, hmmm, probably because I thought that would be more 'protected'.

(No; it's there because the instructions were for sticking it to the inside of a car windshield. Makes me wonder though .... will the binary passcodes be reversed if I stuck it to the outside of the windscreen?
omg2.gif
OMG! Something new to worry about!)