Too much forward lean

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone consider lowering the fork tubes in the triple tree? That will raise the front and is a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new shock.

The angle on the seat is NOT the problem. Altering the suspension, either front or rear, will only change the seat angle by an insignificantly minute amount.

If your passenger is sliding into you, like when you are braking, the shelf liner will keep that from happening. A custom seat with a contoured "butt bucket" will also give her some added stability, as well as keeping her butt happy for longer rides.

If she is leaning into you it is because she doesn't feel secure sitting more upright. A passenger backrest or Top Box that acts as a backrest is the answer. The security of not feeling that she'll flip off the back when you accelerate will allow her to sit (more) upright and not bump into you from behind.

My wife is on the small side, but I have purchased her a custom Russell seat and covered that in black shelf liner material. And we also always have a Givi V46 trunk mounted on the back as her back rest when she comes along.

No, this stuff isn't cheap. Good quality, highly effective solutions are seldom the cheapest ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a slippery seat surface is causing your passengers to slide forward then another +1 for the shelf liner and it's inexpensive. Not only is my Pillion a fan, she is a pusher and carries spare bits of liner that she gives to people and makes converts everywhere. Fred covered the seat and security with the custom seat and backrest.

Here is a pic of me and my wife on our stock seat. She doesnt slide or lean into me at all. I upgraded to the Yamaha "comfort" seat and had to get rid of it because she was sliding on the slick surface. The stock seat is super grippy. Also a Garauld backrest made all the difference for her. Another thing to keep in mind is riding super smooth 2up takes practice. Gear changes, braking and accelerating should all be done with precision. I try to make it so she cant even feel the gear change.

Rk1RdLC.jpg

If you like I can loan you my rear seats for you to try, I have a Laam and Russel Day long, you pay for shipping both ways, I have a Aussie Police smuggler on now and wont need seats for a while, having sat in both I think Laam is really close to the Russell with less wings on the side but a nice pocket to sit in. Laam's seats and prices are the best bang for the buck. Another option is use those waist belts that have grab handles on the side for her to hang on to.

PM me if you want to do this.

If you like I can loan you my rear seats for you to try, I have a Laam and Russel Day long, you pay for shipping both ways, I have a Aussie Police smuggler on now and wont need seats for a while, having sat in both I think Laam is really close to the Russell with less wings on the side but a nice pocket to sit in. Laam's seats and prices are the best bang for the buck. Another option is use those waist belts that have grab handles on the side for her to hang on to.
Nice offer...

A lot of good advice here. But I need to ask.....why is having a passenger tough on your shoulders? Is she holding on to the top of your shoulders for support as you ride? Bad idea, if she is. I use a factory top box, and that gives my wife (and, by osmosis, me) a secure feeling when accelerating. I also purchased a set of Love Handles, as mentioned previously. My wife LOVES these, and it is another level of security for her. My wife is also an "active" rider, paying attention to the upcoming road, and leans with the bike, plus it gives here better leverage when I'm braking.

Master Yoda riding position may help with your shoulder problem, too. Personally, I came from a sportier bike, and have rotated the handlebars to their forward position. I also want to cut down my windshield to give me cleaner air at helmet level.

Good luck with your dilemma, and if you get it right, she may want to ride more. Sorry about that part.

Anyone consider lowering the fork tubes in the triple tree? That will raise the front and is a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new shock.
Evidently you have forgotten where you are ya moron.. Simplicity isn't an option here.

37 different answers are required and the poor fuk will still be lost.

It's an FJR for shitsakes! It's flawed and can't be fixed.

Well it seems obvious that the vast majority of all of you Feezer guru's believe that the seat is the best place to start to remedy my problem. I will start with the home remedies and then perhaps move to purchasing a new custom seat. It is amazing that I received the offer to borrow a set of seats just to try! Who does that? That is awesome!!! I will be contacting you about that. Thanks to everyone for all the help and hopefully others have learned something as well.

That would further lower the front end. Normal position is right at the top of the fork tubes, so unless you increase preload, or spring in the front I don't think this is going to get er done.

Well it seems obvious that the vast majority of all of you Feezer guru's believe that the seat is the best place to start to remedy my problem. I will start with the home remedies and then perhaps move to purchasing a new custom seat.
Try using your Sargent front seat and the stock Yamaha rear seat. They fit together well and the stock seat is not slippery at all.

+1 for the backrest. I got mine and the Givi mounting bracket from Premier Cycle Accessories (I think). They work well and give my wife and daughters enough confidence that they don't lean into me.

That would further lower the front end. Normal position is right at the top of the fork tubes, so unless you increase preload, or spring in the front I don't think this is going to get er done.
Read it again, Tom...Lowering the fork tubes in the triple tree is not the same thing as lowering the triple tree on the fork tubes.

Well it seems obvious that the vast majority of all of you Feezer guru's believe that the seat is the best place to start to remedy my problem. I will start with the home remedies and then perhaps move to purchasing a new custom seat. It is amazing that I received the offer to borrow a set of seats just to try! Who does that? That is awesome!!! I will be contacting you about that. Thanks to everyone for all the help and hopefully others have learned something as well.
I previously asked a question that may help save you time and money:

Is your wife sliding into you? Or is she leaning forward into you?

If the former, that can be addressed by a grippier seat to riding pants interface.

If the latter, then that can be solved by a back rest or travel trunk that acts like one.

Fred; she does both. She says the Sargent seat helps a lot but not completely. I believe it it would be better if the Sargent seats weren't so slick. I think I'll try recovering the seats I have or perhaps get new seats. As far as the leaning on to me, I guess I can chalk that up to insecurity. I am looking into backrests right now. It's amazing how they cost as much as the seats!!! Thanks for the tips.

You're welcome.

One advantage of a trunk back rest is that it can be used as... well, a trunk. And when the wife unit is along for anything more than a day ride an extra 40 liters of lockable luggage space comes in very handy. ;)

I have changed the the seats to the Sargent seats which helped but not enough for her. I ride alone most of the time but I do not want her to be excluded.
Get a truly custom rear seat like a Russell instead of the non-custom that stock and Sargent are.
Agree. Get two bucket seats from RDL.

seat.jpg

Also- just a note... but make sure the pillion is holding onto the passenger grab rails instead of the driver (you). I think this would make the passenger more planted and not susceptible to sliding forward. You could even consider providing the passenger a back rest as well. I believe Garauld on the board makes a custom one.

Cheers!

Now those look like they would do the trick. Will are going to start with the anti slip drawer liner first to see if that stops the one problem, and then perhaps either recover my current seats or purchase new ones. We are also going to look into a back rest to help remedy the second problem. Thanks to all for all of your suggestions. I will have to admit it opened up another issue though. In the beginning of the thread I was asking more about suspension changes and not seats. Through those discussions I have checked into the SAG on my 08. Let's just say it had none. I couldn't believe it. I have to admit that I never mess with that stuff. I just check the air in the tires and the fluids and race down the road. So I adjusted it to almost 1.5" and when I sit on it, it is a lot softer now. I can ride for a whole due to ice and snow, but I am very concerned that my ride will be so different it may be scary. I am not sure what to expect. Technically this discussion stills follows the original question, but I imagine I will need to find other threads for more about that.

I would google it. That's what I did. A lot of information from this sight, as well as many others. There are even you tube videos on it. This sight is so great you will be able to find the proper specs for your bike. It's approximately 1.5" for a 170 lb. rider. I you carry a passanger a lot you will need to consider that. I did it by my self with the help of a stick, a mirror, and a rope. I'll bet that will cause everyone to scratch their head...