Took my FJR to the California SuperBike School (with pics)!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great story, great photos, great answers.

On the street, I can keep up with sportbikes. On the Interstate, I can bury sportbikes. On the track ..... never been. You just moved "track days" up a few places on my bucket list.

And you're right about the sportboys' reactions. On the street, with bags and a topbox, they just cannot believe the big girl can stay with them.

Looks like you definitely had fun which is what it's all about. All I can add is once you've ridden a sportbike on the track you'll know what you were missing with the FJR.

Looks like you definitely had fun which is what it's all about. All I can add is once you've ridden a sportbike on the track you'll know what you were missing with the FJR.
I'm trying to delay the inevitable, lol. During the school, my coach could see that I was pushing that FJR hard, and was trying to talk me into buying a sportbike and getting into the sport. But after overhearing all of the discussions between other students about their various "crashes" over the years, I started thinking that maybe I'm better off NOT buying a sportbike.

bcutler23693 posted: I'm trying to delay the inevitable, lol. During the school, my coach could see that I was pushing that FJR hard, and was trying to talk me into buying a sportbike and getting into the sport. But after overhearing all of the discussions between other students about their various "crashes" over the years, I started thinking that maybe I'm better off NOT buying a sportbike.
Hahahahahha! I know what you mean. I wind out the FJR on some nearby mountain roads or through some pretty suburban streets (when there's nobody around) and I feel the same pull for a FZ-09 or CBR. Then I get up in the morning, ride to work, and realize the sportbike isn't going to get a lot of miles under my butt.

FJR is a great compromise on function and fun.

Outstanding Bcutler! Thanks for taking the time to share the experience and the great pics with us! I may just have to look into the Level I class at Barber next spring. Hell, I could even spend the night in my own bed!
rolleyes.gif

Thank you very much for sharing this!! I have thought about taking one of those classes, looked in to it and the couple I found you had to ride their bikes. Figured they were all the same so I stopped looking. Yeah I’d learn a lot yet to get the most out of the experience I want to know what my bike can do as well. I’m going to look in to this and see if I can pull it off in the next year or two.

Thank you very much for sharing this!! I have thought about taking one of those classes, looked in to it and the couple I found you had to ride their bikes. Figured they were all the same so I stopped looking. Yeah I’d learn a lot yet to get the most out of the experience I want to know what my bike can do as well. I’m going to look in to this and see if I can pull it off in the next year or two.
Several members have posted that they would like to go to this school. I plan to go next year when they return to VIR in the spring.

Perhaps I should announce it on here and see if we could get several forum members to attend as well. It would be nice to have a large FJR showing at one of these schools!

That sounds like a blast. One of these days, I'll drop the cash. I think using your own bike and learning its limits was smart, AND $200 cheaper. Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith Code is da man! I've been to his school and taken levels 1 - 3 and enjoyed every minute. First two levels I rode my CBR600F4i and for level 3 rode my DRZ400S SuperMoto which was WAAY more fun than the sportbike as handling is everything. Keith and his staff are really sharp, excellent riders and very personable while exuding confidence that spills over to the students. Good for you to take the class on the FJR, I did my stint with them just prior to getting my FJR, but the skill transfer over to the bigger bike was seamless, it really helped me ride the FJR with confidence. Anyone who is considering a riding school should seriously consider this one, I got my money's worth and then some.

I enjoyed this ride report. The pictures seem professionally framed and are very good keep sakes for you - was that included in the price?

Also, the cost of this is lower than I expected. Until now, this was absolutely out of the question for fear that it was simply too much money. Now, I would definitely re-consider.

I've read some of Code's stuff over the years. His cornering technique is showing loud and clear in your pictures. You don't have to scrape pegs to turn the bike sharply and quickly.

Another negative to at least be aware of - your insurance policy might have a coverage exclusion if you crash it on the track, and your Yamaha factory warranty might deny coverage as well (for mechanical/electrical failures). I haven't looked at my current declarations (admittedly), but IIRC, the blanket exclusion says something to the effect of "racing the vehicle in competition". Clearly, this was not competition. I would probably clarify this before deciding on the 1000RR or not. As far as "wear and tear" on the bike - I certainly wouldn't worry about that with the FJR.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I enjoyed this ride report. The pictures seem professionally framed and are very good keep sakes for you - was that included in the price?
Yes, there was a professional photographer at the school. He and his helper would go out on the track and setup in the grass in strategic locations, and they got some amazing shots. You could buy individual pictures (and I don't remember price per photo), or you could buy a disk that contained all of your pics for the whole day for $90.

Also, the cost of this is lower than I expected. Until now, this was absolutely out of the question for fear that it was simply too much money. Now, I would definitely re-consider.
Overall, the cost of this experience wasn't too bad considering what I got out of it:

$475 - Level I School

$75 - Rental race suit

$475 - Level II School

$75 - Rental race suit

$242 - Two nights in the Pit Lane Rooms

$148 - Photos (bought two days @ discounted rate)

$52 - Keith Code's book (Twist of the Wrist II) & a California SuperBike School Hat

$1,542 - Total (plus fuel & food)

I've read some of Code's stuff over the years. His cornering technique is showing loud and clear in your pictures. You don't have to scrape pegs to turn the bike sharply and quickly.
He has a book and a video out that I found VERY informative. They are both entitled, "Twist of the Wrist II"

Another negative to at least be aware of - your insurance policy might have a coverage exclusion if you crash it on the track, and your Yamaha factory warranty might deny coverage as well (for mechanical/electrical failures). I haven't looked at my current declarations (admittedly), but IIRC, the blanket exclusion says something to the effect of "racing the vehicle in competition". Clearly, this was not competition. I would probably clarify this before deciding on the 1000RR or not. As far as "wear and tear" on the bike - I certainly wouldn't worry about that with the FJR.
Here's how I rationalized the whole "crashing" and insurance issue in my mind: I said to myself, "Driving around that track is actually safer than my 4-hour drive on the streets and highway from Yorktown VA to VIR (near Danville VA). On the track, everyone is gong the same direction, and the track is very wide. On the track, all of the drivers are very focused and not texting, talking, eating, etc. On the track, I am not presented with unknown terrain, potholes, deer, and obstacles such as I would be when driving on the streets and highways. On the track, I get to make the same turns over and over and over again, thus getting better each time. As long as I drive within my limits, I will not crash." The instructors also ask that you drive at about 75% during the school. In addition, my FJR was my ride home, so I absolutely could not crash. It was out of the question, lol. That's how I rationalized it.

I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS school at Barber in '07 on my FJR. I learned a ton and surprised more than a few sportbikes while there.The Feej is a capable bike.

Since you were running your own bike,did their race tech guys go over how your suspension was set up?
Did you do any changes to your suspension setup after getting out there and running your bike?
Just wondering.

I took Reg Pridmore's CLASS school at Barber in '07 on my FJR. I learned a ton and surprised more than a few sportbikes while there.The Feej is a capable bike.
Reg Primore's CLASS School comes to VIR as well. I have heard really good things about that school, and I plan on attending this fall or next spring.

Since you were running your own bike,did their race tech guys go over how your suspension was set up?Did you do any changes to your suspension setup after getting out there and running your bike?

Just wondering.
Good questions. Yes, my bike had to go through tech and they inspected it and they lowered the air pressure in the tires. Apparently they don't see many heavy touring bikes come through because they didn't seem to be 100% sure on what pressures to run. So they lowered each tire by about 5 psi.

As far as the suspension was concerned, they recommended that I start out with the height set up for one rider and no luggage (I have an ES), and the suspension set at STANDARD. They recommended that each track session I increase the firmness of the suspension until I get to HARD +3, and try and take note of the subtle differences. I'll be honest, I couldn't tell a difference. Probably because I was somewhat overwhelmed with new sensations, new sounds, higher speeds, other riders, and trying to remember the drill / technique that I was supposed to be doing. Now that I have some track time under my belt, I am hoping that when I return to the track for my next school, I can play around with the suspension and try and notice the different handling characteristics.

As far as air pressures are concerned, when i returned home, I contacted Metzeler and asked what pressures I should be running at the track for ROADTEC 01's on a 684 lb bike. They replied and stated, "For the track we would suggest starting at 32 front and 34 rear. Remember that these sport touring tires and you are riding a heavy bike on a race track so you may want to add some air if you feel it’s needed. Thanks for the e-mail."

I got to try this soon, and the prices they quote are not bad at all. I'd probably use their bikes, just in case.