Tool for Throttle Body Sync

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Turtle

Reaction score
I’ve been doing my own maintenance, brakes, oil, hydraulic fluid, tires, some lubrication and would like to now try my hand at throttle body sync.

Any suggestions on best brand/tool that should be used?

Cheers

DIY:

(Click on image for larger view)

And mine - PVC tubing and automatic transmission fluid.

Edit: Narrow bore tubing (Black) at the end with a piece of 1 mm ID tubing inserted to stabilize fluid level.  Too "bouncy" otherwise.

Note:  Borrow one if you can or do it at a local "Tech Day".  I only do mine after major maintenance such as a valve check or throttle body clean.  It really doesn't go off that quickly and mostly just has an effect at idle or low throttle openings.

20180616-152251.jpg

rbentnail says: "I have longed for one of those for quite some time but I could never justify the cost for using it once every 2 or 3 yrs."

My local shop said that a throttle body sync would take 1.5 to 2 hours. Their hourly rate is $100CAN. A new Syncpro Carb Tuner is $145CAN at Amazon.ca. My thinking was this: If I am only ever going to sync throttle bodies once, take it to the shop. If I am going to sync throttle bodies 2 or more times over the time of ownership of my bike, it is worth the one-time expense.

rbentnail says: "I have longed for one of those for quite some time but I could never justify the cost for using it once every 2 or 3 yrs."

My local shop said that a throttle body sync would take 1.5 to 2 hours. Their hourly rate is $100CAN. A new Syncpro Carb Tuner is $145CAN at Amazon.ca. My thinking was this: If I am only ever going to sync throttle bodies once, take it to the shop. If I am going to sync throttle bodies 2 or more times over the time of ownership of my bike, it is worth the one-time expense.
I made my own synch tool for about $10 or so...
I generally only do a throttle body synch when I have done major stuff - usually valve check/adjustment. Takes very little time since tank is already out of the way. It is rarely off enough to make much difference.
If you do your own valve checks, it is definitely worth having the gear to do your own TBS - especially if you go the low-cost route. If you have the valve check done at a shop, you might as well get them to do the TBS while they are at it. It MIGHT take 1.5-2 hr doing the TBS from scratch (generous estimate) but would add maybe 20 minutes to the total time for the valve check/adjustment.

Edit: Morgan Carbtune is pretty popular. Fairly robust and has the advantage of not containing any liquids.
https://www.carbtune.com/

Last edited:
I made my own synch tool for about $10 or so...
I generally only do a throttle body synch when I have done major stuff - usually valve check/adjustment. Takes very little time since tank is already out of the way. It is rarely off enough to make much difference.
If you do your own valve checks, it is definitely worth having the gear to do your own TBS - especially if you go the low-cost route. If you have the valve check done at a shop, you might as well get them to do the TBS while they are at it. It MIGHT take 1.5-2 hr doing the TBS from scratch (generous estimate) but would add maybe 20 minutes to the total time for the valve check/adjustment.

Edit: Morgan Carbtune is pretty popular. Fairly robust and has the advantage of not containing any liquids.
https://www.carbtune.com/
I bought and used it recently. Easy to use. It resulted in having to change the standard reference from cyl 1 to cyl 3 (FJR 2013 model). See different thread on this forum.

You didn't click that like for the electronic tool, didja?