top case mount on 07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rls

Reaction score
Anyone with any pictures of a aftermarket top case install. I have searched and looked but have not seen any good photos of the top case mount onto a 07 FJR. Also, are the nuts on the three factory bolts on the stock rack captured or if taken out will the nuts falling the taillight housing. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with any pictures of a aftermarket top case install. I have searched and looked but have not seen any good photos of the top case mount onto a 07 FJR. Also, are the nuts on the three factory bolts on the stock rack captured or if taken out will the nuts falling the taillight housing. Suggestions?
I have a Givi E-52 mounted on an 08 that I will take some pictures of tomorrow for you. Also the three nuts you are concerned about are captured. I really like the Givi set up, It mounted without a hitch and looks very good. The Givi factory mount is the one I have and it comes with passenger grab rails just like the factory rack has.

May I give you some reading? From our friends at Google:
topcase site:fjrforum.com

top box site:fjrforum.com

trunk site:fjrforum.com

And just for fun: luggage site:fjrforum.com
May I suggest something back---------No not that, but I thought it :rolleyes: . Yea I did a search and did not find the pic I wanted.

Be nice, now. . . .

Here's mine:

Givi-2.jpg

Closer:

Givi-1.jpg

Another angle:

Givi-3.jpg

The steel rail is NOT color-matched, but it's stronger than the plastic rack it replaces, and that's reflected in the rated capacity of the boxes. It bolts to the same places, and no hardware disappears when it comes apart. You use the same bolts to mount the rack that you removed to get the factory rack off, and the plate bolts onto the rack with Givi-supplied hardware.

The empty plate isn't all the useful for other hardware, not being a flat piece. You could remove the mount plate and have a flat surface, but that's not exactly convenient.

Got that part, I meant the tube rack underneath.
That's a Givi too, come with the FJR specific order. I have it on my 06, and the rack came in black. Looks good to me.

Yes, the plate is a universal part, comes with the case, and the rack is sold separately because it's specific to the bike.

Givi makes racks for tons of bikes.

With several members reporting subframe cracking using only the three bolts in the back, I think the Givi set up is a bit stronger. Granted, there's no factual or scientific basis for that opinion, but the more evenly distributed weight provided by the Givi since it mounts in several locations by replacing the grab rail, I think there's some merit to the opinion.

Hey RLS, I got mine at twistedthrottle.com. Its the SW-Mototech AL Rack and they get the Givi Monokey adapter plate. The AL Rack gets permenently mounted to the stock FJR rack and then the adapter comes on/off with quarter turn srcews, takes about 30 sec for all three. I think it looks MUCH better than the GIVI mounting kit.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2745/114/

I guess I can post this in this thread too.

givi.jpg

PCA Rack with Givi E250 (Think that's the right letter) adapter and Givi V46.

DSC_2385.jpg

With several members reporting subframe cracking using only the three bolts in the back, I think the Givi set up is a bit stronger. Granted, there's no factual or scientific basis for that opinion, but the more evenly distributed weight provided by the Givi since it mounts in several locations by replacing the grab rail, I think there's some merit to the opinion.
Here's another shot for your collection. When one utilizes just the 3 bolt points instead of all 5....you easily get this kind of thing in Gen 1 and Gen 2 subframes. There are three confirmed forum members that have had this happen so far. The lever arm those setups create is substantial and you put 15 or 20 pounds in a case, run a few thousand miles, and you're very likely to have cracking.

MW191234b.JPG

You wonder how big a hassle it is if you crack your subframe? Clicky here for the first of a three part write-up on a subject I wish I didn't have to write.

does anyone have a link for the tubular rack that replaces the grab handles, to mount a givi topcase? all i'm getting in searches is the givi tubular rack to accommodate givi's sidecases but nothing re: a tubular rack for a givi topcase that keeps the fjr sidecases. i want the 5-point rack that everyone is talking about (including warchild's fjrtech page of the rack), but can't find it.

thx,

dean

cincinnati