Torx T-50 bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
I've just completed my third grease job on the shift lever and pivot bolt on my 2005 (photos from fjrtech.com) and have unfortunately this time cross threaded the Torx T-50 bolt that is being pointed to in the photo. What purpose does this large fastener serve? It's a big ass fastener for such a small alloy strut protruding from the two bolts that anchor the left footpeg and sidestand. Should I worry about how tight this one is, or not? Obviously, it needs to be cleaned out and a new bolt installed, but what function does this bolt serve?

paulw01.jpg

... but what function does this bolt serve?
R U serious?

Well, consider that the plate carries your weight when standing on the peg. . . . .
+1 Gunny. Aside from the fact you cross threaded this into the transmission... it does nothing.
Please take your bike in for service from now on. :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
That bolt handles shear forces (lateral impacts/forces), when you strike a bump etc. Without it, you have a two-legged stool instead of a three-legged one. I believe that bolt is also grade-12.

... but what function does this bolt serve?
R U serious?

Well, consider that the plate carries your weight when standing on the peg. . . . .
+1 Gunny. Aside from the fact you cross threaded this into the transmission... it does nothing.
Please take your bike in for service from now on. :dribble:
Looking at the plate that the footpeg is fastened to, I see four other allen head, two small and two large, in addition to this T-50 off to the side. It just seemed odd that there was a fifth bolt off to the side anchoring a separate strut or flange out of the plane of the footpeg. And yes, I will rectify this goof on my part. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean up the threads with a tap and die then decide if they are in good enough shape to use as they are. If they are, then use some loctite and you're good to go. If the threads in the hole are bad, then you'll need a time-sert or heli-coil or something like that, as well as a new bolt.

That bolt handles shear forces (lateral impacts/forces), when you strike a bump etc. Without it, you have a two-legged stool instead of a three-legged one. I believe that bolt is also grade-12.
Thanks for the quick responses; I'll extract, clean up the threads and try a new bolt with Locktite.

Take it to the local hardware store. They probably have a metric fitment panel you can try it in. I know you cross threaded it but you can probably get a pretty good idea doing that. I know I replaced mine and that's how I did it.

Take it to the local hardware store. They probably have a metric fitment panel you can try it in. I know you cross threaded it but you can probably get a pretty good idea doing that. I know I replaced mine and that's how I did it.
Bolt looked fine after extraction; aluminum not so good. :rolleyes: But Ace Hardware may be able to fix me up....who knows. Thanks!