TPM System and Valve Stems Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaYzerman19

Go Wings!
Reaction score
I have a Doran TPM system on the FJR and like it. I've had others on past bikes. I was looking for a TPMS for the Wee, and was wondering what new systems are out there. Here is an interesting one from Hawk's Head.

Advantages, small sensors, user-replaceable batteries, wireless remote display, displays both PSI and temperature.

https://www.prlog.org/12065857-hawkshead-tpms-systems-launches-new-motorcycle-tire-pressure-monitoring-system.html

https://www.tpms.ca/

Visit their website and check out the T-shaped metal valve stems, which seem to be very convenient, i.e., you don't have to remove the sensors to air up your tires. Also, on the Feej in particular, there is very little clearance to the front brake calipers, therefore, not possible to mount the Doran sensor externally, especially with Doran's angled metal stems. With the T-shaped stems one should be able to (I will convert at next front tire change). I prefer external mount so one can change sensors easily if need be, and for winter storage, remove the sensor to preserve battery life (they transmit continuously as long as there is air pressure, and don't transmit at 0 psi). And all that hype about possibility of sensors being stolen, forgedaboutit, who would care about your valve caps.

While I was shopping, I think I found the identical system on ebay, direct from Hong Kong or China... search Lexinmoto TPMS...... for significantly less $$. (I paid $106 w/free shipping).

I received it in a week, and opened the nicely made box. Looks like quality materials and finish, user manual printed on decent paper. The sensor caps screw off with some effort to get at the batteries for replacement. There is a very thin O-ring seal, that gets fully encapsulated and won't leak. The kit comes with two spare O-rings (you may never need), and two allen keys to install the set screw locks onto the valve stem. I have not installed this system yet nor ridden with it (it's winter!) but will update with a further review in the spring. I plan to mount the display in a prominently visible spot on my dash shelf.

Playing with the remote display, there is an audible beep, vibration and flashing display if tire pressure or temperature goes beyond the limits you program. But I would say you may not hear it while riding, see the backlight in bright sunlight, but may see the black LCD display flashing. You can just put the remote in your pocket, and feel the vibration alert, but you won't be able to monitor the readings.

On the Doran, there is a bright red flashing LED for alerts, which is hard to miss. You do have to push a button to see tire pressures (no temp. feature).

Anyway, if you're on a budget and want ease of install and use............... there are other cheap Chinese ones out there, but this one looks better to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to seeing how they hold up under real conditions. I have the Dorans installed (internally), and I am happy with them. I probably only look down at the display 3 or 4 times a tank, but having the flashing red LED really makes that unnecessary. Did the Chinese set recommend (require) installing metal valve stems? Make sure about that. Keep us posted on your results.

It does not specifically mention metal stems, but there are plenty of reports of rubber valve stems failing with any TPMS sensors installed. Crazy IMHO if you don't go metal. That's a tough repair on the road.

Also should mention the remote display does not appear to be waterproof, so if it starts raining, best put the display somewhere dry. The Doran is waterproof.

RaYzerman19,

I've looked around on the PRLOG site, but can't seem to see the t-shaped stems. I am already running the 90* aluminum valves and agree there's no room to add any more length to the valve stem on the front wheel without interfering with the brake calipers.

This is the closest thing I've found on the https://www.tpms.ca site. Is this it?

TALONsnsr.jpg
eco.jpg

The cheapest I've seen on eBay is $89

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXINMOTO-MB2-2-Tires-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-/321270891347?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acd3cc353&vxp=mtr

RaYzerman19,I've looked around on the PRLOG site, but can't seem to see the t-shaped stems. I am already running the 90* aluminum valves and agree there's no room to add any more length to the valve stem on the front wheel without interfering with the brake calipers.

This is the closest thing I've found on the https://www.tpms.ca site. Is this it?

TALONsnsr.jpg
eco.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXINMOTO-MB2-2-Tires-Motorcycle-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-/321270891347?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acd3cc353&vxp=mtr
Have a look here.......................

If that doesn't work, have a look at 'Products' then select T-valves etc. from the 'drop down' list.

RaYzerman19,I've looked around on the PRLOG site, but can't seem to see the t-shaped stems. I am already running the 90* aluminum valves and agree there's no room to add any more length to the valve stem on the front wheel without interfering with the brake calipers.

TALONsnsr.jpg
eco.jpg

Have a look here.......................

If that doesn't work, have a look at 'Products' then select T-valves etc. from the 'drop down' list.
Yes, look at Donal's link...... $89 is awesome, go for it. I've never seen if for under $100.

TXFJR, I could tell you several stories from a group buy we did a couple of years ago. Do NOT get the Kisan. Extremely flawed concept and a PITA.

What were the issues with it? I am COMPLETELY ignorant on these things and could use as much info as possible

The Kisan works on what they call 'Sonar technology", which means the sensor pickups must be mounted to the bike and wired back to the brain part. Special bracket supplied for the rear, and the front uses a special caliper bolt with a 5 mm dia. pin to clamp the pickup to. The sensors screw on to your straight metal valve stems, then you adjust the pickups to be a certain air gap to the sensor. Air gap is critical, and to adjust you have to use a teeny allen key that you have no room to get in or rotate, so imagine 1/8 turn at a time. Big set up time and test to see if it works...... then one day you get erratic/phony readings and have to readjust....... then one day you do that again...... then you get a faulty sensor and eventually get a replacement (they sent me a whole new kit). Never could get it set up right for very long. All of us who bought them ditched them before one season was over....... flawed technology not functional, and a true PITA to adjust........ When you do a tire change, remove and reinstall all over, test, adjust...... forgedaboudit.................... got a Doran and never looked back. Now if Doran had user-replaceable batteries in their sensors............

I looked at the Doran, looks good! Just a couple of questions for those members that run them.

1. What is the average battery life on the sensors?

2. I didn't see them on the website, but do they make a "T" coupler to allow you to air up the tires, or do you have to remove the sensors everytime you add air?

Doran battery life in real life is 2 years and a bit. If you remove them for any storage time, they don't transmit at 0 psi, therefore will last longer. New sensors are $25 each from Doran and they are quick to get them to you.

On the FJR, rear wheel can be mounted externally on their metal valve stem pointing straight sideways or any which way. Yes, remove the sensor to air up (don't use the locks, no need for that PITA of dealing with the teeny allen screws, plus nobody's gonna steal them anyway). On the front, you will have to have an internal mount with Doran's angled metal valve stems, and the angled metal stem will have to be angled so it clears the calipers. I bought T-shaped metal ones from tpms.ca and will install them in the spring. Hoping Doran's sensor fits between the calipers then..... with the tee you can air up without removing the sensor.

even though it would be a PITA, can the FJR have both F/R external? If I go with this system, I would rather go through the trouble of removing sensors to air up, rather than having them mounted inside the wheels

Eternal is the way to go if one can get there. I'm hoping to with the T-shaped stems..... or you could possibly use a straight metal stem on the front, might be room enough (I kinda suspect there is). The only way to know is try it, and it will be next spring before I can. Harder to fill the tires with straight stem on the front, that's why I"m going with the T's.

Not sure what type of clearance problems some of you are having with the Doran system. Have had the external sensors front/rear on metal stems for a yr without problems. Not using the Doran supplied stems. At first tire change had metal ones installed.

I wanted to use angled or 90 degree valve stems, the Doran angled stems have too big a sweep. There is no position you can use without caliper interference. I like the T idea, but not stuck on it. If you have the aluminum 90 degree Ariete style stems and they work, I can go that way. I don't want straight stems.

I have a set of TPMS very similar to these (nearly identical from what I can tell). Tiregard brand.

The thing that bothers me is the fact that when you attach them, you are opening the valve to the tire. This is how it reads the tire pressure. The sensor must seal perfectly to the valve stem (with an o-ring) to prevent air loss.

Also keep in mind that the weight of them can put stress on your valve stems. There are several stories out there about valve stem failure with these attached (I think especially problematic for right angle stems).

I wanted to use angled or 90 degree valve stems, the Doran angled stems have too big a sweep. There is no position you can use without caliper interference. I like the T idea, but not stuck on it. If you have the aluminum 90 degree Ariete style stems and they work, I can go that way. I don't want straight stems.
Same thing here. If I can use the Ariete stems, the caps are fine. Otherwise most replacement valve stems interfere or just seem inferior for access.

I have a set of TPMS very similar to these (nearly identical from what I can tell). Tiregard brand.
The thing that bothers me is the fact that when you attach them, you are opening the valve to the tire. This is how it reads the tire pressure. The sensor must seal perfectly to the valve stem (with an o-ring) to prevent air loss.

Also keep in mind that the weight of them can put stress on your valve stems. There are several stories out there about valve stem failure with these attached (I think especially problematic for right angle stems).
You're right, that's how they work. Never had a probem with leakage ever in 6 years of using TPMS systems. They have better seals than valve caps. And that's why you never use a rubber valve stem. No one that I know has had a failure on a metal stem, 90 degree or not, unless it was faulty installation right at the get-go.