Track Daze at VIR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekirby

Reaction score
This Monday, Team Pro-Motion had a track day at VIR and at the lunch break a track coach took me out for a half dozen laps. I was tha only one not racing on a bike, so I was the only one out. I had a pretty decent audience watching the guy with the saddle bags on the track (yes I was on the FJR). I know that for a few here, this is no big deal, but I had a lot of fun :D . The TPM guy took it very easy and could not entertain my request of triple digits in the straights-70 anyway, but it was a great exerience to 'get to know the track' as they call it. I think I'm hooked........and I got to post in a section that I may never get to post in again........maybe. B)

John ~

Sounds like a ton-o-fun! What were your impressions? :coolsmiley:

Inquiring minds want to know...

Don

Don't worry about doing track days on the FJR. It's a great bike for that. Sure, it's not something you're going to put plates on and start collecting all that fat WERA prize money, but it's the bike you ride and track days are about improving your riding. Well, that and hauling ass with no cops. :yahoo:

John ~Sounds like a ton-o-fun! What were your impressions? :coolsmiley:

Don
The track was what you would expect, predictable with no unexpected dips or rises to throw you off and the turns were banked as to build confidence. The biggest impression that I got was the surface was rougher than I thought it would be. TPM set up cones to keep you on the line which made it kind of like paint-by-numbers. The TPM coach was very patient and instructive without being condescending. Everyone was there to have fun so it was cool to hang out with everyong and get to know soem folks. I felt that if I had the time, the beginner class would have been in the card for me that day. I will do track days in the future, but would like to get another bike if I take any classes beyond beginner as I need the FJR to last a very long time.

John ~Sounds like a ton-o-fun! What were your impressions? :coolsmiley:

Don
The track was what you would expect, predictable with no unexpected dips or rises to throw you off and the turns were banked as to build confidence. The biggest impression that I got was the surface was rougher than I thought it would be. TPM set up cones to keep you on the line which made it kind of like paint-by-numbers. The TPM coach was very patient and instructive without being condescending. Everyone was there to have fun so it was cool to hang out with everyong and get to know soem folks. I felt that if I had the time, the beginner class would have been in the card for me that day. I will do track days in the future, but would like to get another bike if I take any classes beyond beginner as I need the FJR to last a very long time.
My good bud runs an XR650 Honda for track daze. Easy/Cheap to fix if you toss it, and it will run slowly at 115 in the straights. In the corners though... LOL, it will sneak up and pass a fat FJR..

I agree with your assesment.. FJR for street.. another (toss bike) for the track..

Stop now!!! You'll regret it!

You'll spend more time and $$ on track days! You'll enjoy it beyond belief! It's addicting! Stay away!!!!

Looking good there John. It would be nice to be able to streach out the FJR on a track.....and must have improvement for when your back out on the street. That's a huge plus. Take care, PM. <>< :yahoo: