Trailer towing and hitch question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

Reaction score
So as we all know plans seem to change daily sometimes. At least with me. Last winter I built a trailer to pull behind my Harley Road King, with plans of maybe buying a hitch for the FJR later. Well now the Road King is gone, and has been replaced by a Dyna. So I'm left with a 2 wheeled trailer that is proven to work well, and no way to pull it with the dyna. The dyna is also the bike more likely to be 2-up toured on, and has less luggage room than the FJR. So I need to come up with something.

The plan now is to build another trailer this winter, a one-wheeled type. It will connect to the Harley through the axle. This is a proven set-up by many, and is also impossible on the FJR because we don't have hollow axles. I'll also be building an axle hitch for my GSX-R, but that's beside the point here. Logically a one-wheel trailer should allow for a bit faster riding and less of a 'towing' feel, but I'm not positive as I've never pulled one. I've seen pics of FJR's pulling both, so the bike seems willing and able.

I'm left with quite a few options here, and aren't real sure which way to go. The 2 wheeled trailer is paid for and probably has a pretty low re-sale value, so I'm not against keeping it and having both trailers.

-I could put a normal ball hitch on the FJR, and use the 2 wheeled trailer on it and the one wheel on everything else.

-Buy a FJR hitch and adapt it for use with my future-built one wheel. Shouldn't be too hard to adapt, but would take some work due to having a different style of pivot points.

-Buy an FJR hitch and make a bolt-on adapter for the one wheel, but have it able to use the ball also for the trailer I already own. This is the most complicated option, and for some reason the most appealing. I'm not sure why I would ever want different trailer options, but the 2 wheeled is bigger for sure. Perhaps more useful for grocery shopping, or if I'm 2-up going on vacation maybe, or if a few of us are going for a trip and nobody has luggage room? (That has happened to me several times, and once the girlfriend's dad ended up driving the car while the rest of us took bikes because I was the only one with bags)

Another question, what hitches are you single wheel guys using? The forces are a bit different, so that's something to consider. Not a lot of twisting force on a ball set-up like a single wheel design. I'm confident in my ability to make a hitch, but would need to at least see a detailed picture of a home-built unit. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here.

Here's a few pics of the design I'm copying to build. It pivots left and right on the upright portion with internal bearings, and up and down in the axle itself. The FJR would need a different sort of adapter, probably a truck-style universal joint.

t014-04.jpg

194.jpg

Here's the trailer I built last winter. Typical build, a shortened and narrowed Harbor freight frame with a car topper:

i-tvD8n6p-M.jpg

Here's the new bike. Note the lack of luggage space. There is now a passenger seat and backrest added, but not much else:

i-JzKQQvw-M.jpg

Intech, how do you like it? When I towed with the road king it pulled fine, but the FJR is lighter and taller. I imagine the trailer weight would have more of an effect on the Feejer. Your hitch looks good for me, but I won't need swivel ball. I have a swivel on my trailer already.

Intech, how do you like it? When I towed with the road king it pulled fine, but the FJR is lighter and taller. I imagine the trailer weight would have more of an effect on the Feejer. Your hitch looks good for me, but I won't need swivel ball. I have a swivel on my trailer already.
I guess with anything else you get used to it. Going downhill on twisty roads you really have to pay attention to entry speed otherwise the tail wags the dog. A few people were quite impressed with the pace I can keep with the trailer.

Paging Panman [Kevin has pulled both 1 & 2 wheeled trailers], AuburnFJR [lots of miles with a 2 wheeled trailer two up] and Beemer Reemer [lots of miles with a 2 wheeled trailer two up].

In fact, those 3 did a 1000 mile Iron Butt with the trailers and the ladies last year.

Paging Panman [Kevin has pulled both 1 & 2 wheeled trailers], AuburnFJR [lots of miles with a 2 wheeled trailer two up] and Beemer Reemer [lots of miles with a 2 wheeled trailer two up].

In fact, those 3 did a 1000 mile Iron Butt with the trailers and the ladies last year.
+1, They are pulling Bushtech trailers, with them loaded it's about the same weight as the one you plan on pulling empty, what is the weight of your trailer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess with anything else you get used to it. Going downhill on twisty roads you really have to pay attention to entry speed otherwise the tail wags the dog. A few people were quite impressed with the pace I can keep with the trailer.
That's kind of what I'm worried about. I never noticed that with the Harley, but the Harley is heavier than the FJR and way slower to begin with, even without a trailer. I wasn't a big fan of having to watch lane position so much either. I was always nervous about seeing gravel or something and not being able to maneuver to the side due to the trailer being wider than the bike.

Thanks.

+1, They are pulling Bushtech trailers, with them loaded it's about the same weight as the one you plan on pulling empty, what is the weight of your trailer?
The Bushtec sportster, which is the lightest one, is 110lbs empty and rated for a max load of 375lbs.

My trailer weighed 150lbs at the local scrapyard scale, which may not be perfectly accurate. So I'm 40lbs heavier. I'm going out now with the bathroom scale, you got me thinking now. Going to compare width also, I can't remember mine.

Edit- bathroom scale just read 160lbs total, trailer measured at 48" wide. Bushtec is 110lbs, 49" wide.

I can drop about 15-20lbs from the trailer fairly easy, but no more. That would be accomplished by switching to plastic fenders and lightening the tongue with a hole saw and grinder (it's overbuilt anyways currently). More weight might be dropped by removing the car topper and switching to a flat bottom, but I think the weight savings would be offset by the deck material and having to use luggage bags to hold stuff. Currently there is no deck under the car topper, just the trailer frame itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jules, It really isn't that big a deal and nothing to worry about if you don't push the envelope. I have a tendency to do that. As for the width of the trailer, it does "narrow" your lane a little, but then watching your speed will handle that. With the 2 wheel trailer you just don't want to "flick" the bike, because when you lean the trailer hitch is going in the opposite direction of the bike. It can induce a pucker moment. It actually is good training to smooth your riding.

Nice job on the trailer fabrication, can't wait to see the finish product.

I ride all year round and pull my Bushtec 90% of the time, when its not behind me I feel like something missing.

I guess I have gotten really use to it and can't see not having a trailer :)

The R1 is my play bike :)

Good luck on the project :)