Transmission Noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clocklaw

Reaction score
I have a 2003 that I just purchased recently and a couple of days ago I noticed a clunking noise at idle with the clutch disengaged...I have been checking it out this morning and on the center stand when I place it in first, it rattles like there are some bolts bouncing around in the tranny (at idle). This is my first shaft drive, does this seem normal? It also does it when it is in neutral.I was looking for some other opinions. When I get on it and ride up and down the street at idle, no noise.

I pulled the clutch today and checked out the bearing. I don't know, the bearing feels tight but it did have a little sandy feel when you spin it. Gonna talk to the Yamaha guy tomorrow and probably replace the bearing.

I'm figgerin' if it's an 03 anything that could go wrong.. woulda... Ya got on it an rode it up an down tha street fine...

Unless it's got a bazillion miles on it....

I think yur hearin' things....

Put yur helmet on an ride... :thumbsup:

I'm figgerin' if it's an 03 anything that could go wrong.. woulda... Ya got on it an rode it up an down tha street fine...Unless it's got a bazillion miles on it....

I think yur hearin' things....

Put yur helmet on an ride... :thumbsup:
The bike has 15k...not too many miles at all. I hope you are correct, I am sort of hoping it is just a drive shaft thing but it would be nice to know for sure.

Clock,

Mine has 46k miles and I don't hear those noises. Perhaps you can find someone in your area to listen to it and give their opinion...this is not a coomon event.

Good luck on your solution and may it be simple and cheap!

Clock,Mine has 46k miles and I don't hear those noises. Perhaps you can find someone in your area to listen to it and give their opinion...this is not a coomon event.

Good luck on your solution and may it be simple and cheap!
I certainly hope so...I am starting with the clutch bearing but I really think it sounds more like it is in the area where the drive shaft connects. It is definitely on the transmission side of the clutch since it goes away when the clutch is pulled...strange thing is that under load (me riding it) it is gone also. If the bearing does not fix it, I am taking it to my Yamaha Mechanic to listen to it.

Here is the opening guess: There is a chance that the nut that holds the pinion gear in the middle gear assembly has loosened up, this has happened to a very small number of bikes. The middle gear is right in the area where you hear the noise.

The FJR shaft drive is common with the much loved and always abused V-Max. It is near impossible to kill the 'Max/FJR drive shaft system. Leaks yes, worn/broken parts - no.

If someone were to offer to listen to the noise, what part of the country would they need to be in?

I have a 2003 that I just purchased recently and a couple of days ago I noticed a clunking noise at idle with the clutch disengaged...I have been checking it out this morning and on the center stand when I place it in first, it rattles like there are some bolts bouncing around in the tranny (at idle). This is my first shaft drive, does this seem normal? It also does it when it is in neutral.I was looking for some other opinions. When I get on it and ride up and down the street at idle, no noise.
I pulled the clutch today and checked out the bearing. I don't know, the bearing feels tight but it did have a little sandy feel when you spin it. Gonna talk to the Yamaha guy tomorrow and probably replace the bearing.

Just to be clear, you said that when you have the "clutch disengaged" is when you hear the noise. Meaning when you have the lever pulled in, right?

But then you later say when you had it on the center stand and put it in first gear it makes the noise. Did you really mean when the clutch lever is out?

If so, there is a certain amount of "lash" that is in the drive train. This is normal and desirable. So if you only hear the noise when the bike is on the centerstand, the trans is in gear and the rear wheel is freewheeling (no load) what you are then hearing may be normal.

I have to wonder how you would ever have heard that noise since I never put my bike in gear with the clutch out and the engine running on the centerstand. On a chain drive bike I sometimes lube the chain that way (Safety warning!!! kids... don't try that at home) but I just don't see the point to that on a shaftie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was confused also about "disengaged" on the first post. Apparently he meant the lever disengaged, not the clutch itself.

With the clutch lever pulled in, the tranny's input shaft is not being driven and will coast down. With the bike in neutral and the clutch lever released the input shaft is driven and there will be more mechanical noise than with the clutch pulled in. It shouldn't be an alarming amount of noise, shouldn't wake the neighbors or sound like the hardware drawer fell out of your cabinet, but there will be mechanical goings on even in neutral.

I was confused also about "disengaged" on the first post. Apparently he meant the lever disengaged, not the clutch itself.
With the clutch lever pulled in, the tranny's input shaft is not being driven and will coast down. With the bike in neutral and the clutch lever released the input shaft is driven and there will be more mechanical noise than with the clutch pulled in. It shouldn't be an alarming amount of noise, shouldn't wake the neighbors or sound like the hardware drawer fell out of your cabinet, but there will be mechanical goings on even in neutral.

Right, but then he says he put it in gear. The shaft will make quite a bit of noise (clunking back and forth) being driven with no load on the wheel.

Yep, clutch lever out = clutch engaged. Lever in = disengaged. And there's always more noise with it engaged, as previously said.

These are not quiet bikes at all, so doubt you have a real problem at only 15K miles, but listening to another one is the best way to address your concerns. Good luck.

JC

You are correct guys, clutch lever is released so the clutch is engaged when I hear this. I do hear it with the drive train in operation but I also hear it when the transmission is in neutral but the clutch lever released.

I am really intrigued by ionbeam's info:

Here is the opening guess: There is a chance that the nut that holds the pinion gear in the middle gear assembly has loosened up, this has happened to a very small number of bikes. The middle gear is right in the area where you hear the noise.
I am going to look at my service manual when I get home, the previous owner said that the shaft had been recently serviced and I wonder if this might have come apart after such a service. I will try and check more into it this evening.....I will let you all know if I find anything.....thanks!

The middle drive pinion gear shouldn't be related to any normal shaft maintenance. IF the nut is loosening up on the pinion gear you should only hear it when the clutch in engaged and the transmission is in gear. It would start out as perhaps a small gear whine and proceed to rattling/grinding. Carefully use a screwdriver or metal rod held against the middle gear cover (which includes the oil fill hole) and put it up to your ear. If it's happening there, you will hear it. If you don't hear the problem there (and, you probably won't) use your new found mechanics stethoscope to survey the rest of the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the bike on the centerstand. With the engine off and the transmission in 1st gear rotate the rear wheel back and forth and listen for any loud sounds from the shaft output area of the engine/transmission. They'll be some slack play in the mechanism but you shouldn't hear any unusual loud noises.

Oh clocklaw, where are you located? There are many friendly people on this forum across the country. I'm sure someone could meet up with you and listen in to confirm normal/abnormal. Heck, you might get lucky and find someone in your area that could also help YOU repair it for a few beers and a handshake.

Oh clocklaw, where are you located? There are many friendly people on this forum across the country. I'm sure someone could meet up with you and listen in to confirm normal/abnormal. Heck, you might get lucky and find someone in your area that could also help YOU repair it for a few beers and a handshake.

well... maybe a lot of beer. But that could be fun too!

I am in Columbia Tennessee (south Nashville area). I have the clutch apart and had a buddy take the bearing in to the local Yamaha shop. The mechanic spun it and thinks that could be the problem, I have a replacement bearing on order and it should be in on Friday....I am going to get that back together and then see if the noise is still there.

If anyone is local to me and wants to come by, I would be more than happy for another opinion. Thanks!

Hey man, did you figure it out?
15 year-old thread and the OP hasn't been on the forum since 2017... (You probably won't get an answer from him)
Pretty sure it was resolved one way or another if he hung around 9 years after this post.

(Personal guess is that the noise was normal FJR sounds with the clutch out and bike idling in neutral - it is significantly noisier than with the clutch pulled.)

Zombie-Thread-Walk500.gif