Trip to: Moonshiner28 - TOTD - Cherohala Skyway - Blueridge Pkwy...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocha

Reaction score
Hey there!

I am planing a multi-day trip on my FJR (my first one!) from the FL space coast to the Tail of the Dragon, passing through some of the must-ride roads around the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

NC 281 from Lake Toxaway to Tuckasegee.

GA 197 from Lake Burton to Clarkesville. (Don't miss the Last Train.)

In NC, Junaluska Road and Wayah Road from Andrews through Aquone to (almost) Franklin.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are in the Dragon/Cherohala area I highly recommend staying at the Ironhorse Lodge. It is located close to both roads and offers everything from tent camping to private cabins. It's a great place run by great people.

This.

dragons-tail-and-cheoah-skyway-map%201_zpsrv6nfgvt.jpg

I unfortunately have not ridden many of the roads you are planning on riding, even though I've been back on 2 wheels and in North Carolina for the last 10 years or so, Thus, I envy you in your ride and look forward to a time when I can cover the same roads. Your plan looks great!

I'm just chiming in because it looks like you'll be in or near Asheville, NC, which I do have some familiarity with. Asheville in itself is worth a stop. Something like (don't take this to the bank) FOURTY craft breweries! And a thriving music scene. It's a hippy friendly town, if you remember or have photos of the 60s and 70s.

But really why I'm chiming in, is because once upon a time, I was on business in Asheville and needed to get back to Cape Fear. There are several ways to get from there to there, including going down I-26 to 74 and taking that all the way. Well, I made a mistake, and it was one of the best mistakes I ever made. I headed east on I-40 and almost immediately dived off on [unbeknownst to me] ALT 74. It took me 4 times longer to get home, but dang, what a trip! I hope I can do it again before I croak. Not that it is imminent.

So if you get a chance you might want to add Alt 74 between Asheville and Lake Lure. You will not be disappointed. If you have ever been in St. John, USVI, that is the closest analogy to parts of Alt 74. You may never leave first gear in some sections, but the road is paved and good, and the scenery is maybe beyond world class. Take it easy on a FJR, and enjoy the views.

Excellent advise everyone! Thank you so much! I am revising my flight plan to include some of the suggested roads, however, I am trying to not do the same road more than once, so it is a bit tricky to do it all in one sweep without repeating. I'll post an updated route when I figure it out. The plan for now is to do a five-day trip in mid-November right before Turkey day.

I know US 64 looks great on the map, but it is the main east west highway in the area, so you will be following the train headed by the slowest car. I would lose my license on this road. I wish they could close it one day a year except for me...then it would be fun. Not that passing cars ain't fun... ;)

Try the roads between the brp and 64, like 215 and 276. 178 south of 64 into SC is nice, 276 from SC north is good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^ ding, ding, ding. And the slowest car will have Florida tags with a driver that's driving as fast as they can handle.

^^^^^^ ding, ding, ding. And the slowest car will have Florida tags with a driver that's driving as fast as they can handle.
Wait! Are you saying Florida drivers are slow?

FJRocha is from Florida....
biggrin.png

Seriously though...the Florida summer home people really crap up the roads on the south side of the Smoky Mtns...also, just because yer on a bike doesn't mean you can outrun the beatup meth truck on some of these roads after you flipped him off for driving in both lanes of the road and jake-braked ya.

(I could, but...just be ready.
biggrin.png
, totally fictitious story, nothing to see here folks)

Some locals know how to use the rubber beneath their truck, jes sayin.

LOL!!! Florida drivers are not slow.... we bitch all the time about snow birds who turn on the blinkers and go to a crawl when it stars to drizzle, while we are hitting 85 in heavy thunderous downpours, Northeners from GA and up don't know how to drive in the rain!

I must admit that the best curves in FL are found on our beaches, otherwise it is flat and straight everywhere, so a few twisties will slow down a hard core Floridian who is not used to switchbacks. I learned to ride in Arizona's roads, carving canyons and mountains, so I like to think that I'll be fine... maybe!

Latest posts