Turn signal cancellation mechanism?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gospel Rider

Reaction score
Hi fellow riders,
Is manual cancellation of the turn signals on a 2012 FJR always necessary, or is their a fault with my newly acquired 2012?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
GR

Manual cancellation only.
Unless you ride behind a friend of mine who will ride for miles with his signal still on. LOL

I tell him all the time... if you can train yourself to signal before a turn you can train yourself to cancel it after. I'll never understand.

Gospel, upper right corner is a search feature. Good as an owners manual.

My advice, cancel and cancel often. If you want self-canceling signals there are aftermarket kits that seem to work well.

~G

Unless you ride behind a friend of mine who will ride for miles with his signal still on. LOL

I tell him all the time... if you can train yourself to signal before a turn you can train yourself to cancel it after. I'll never understand.

Gospel, upper right corner is a search feature. Good as an owners manual.
That is funny, and it is me. After a lot of years of having self- canceling turn indicators, my wife is getting rich over the month I have had my FJR charging me a quarter for every time she has to remind me to turn my signal off. It is so frustrating seeing how difficult it is to remember.
In my evaluation, there are so many thoughts going through my brain riding a different, much faster and unfamiliar motorcycle, through intersections, especially in multi bike riding situations with conversations on comm devices, that I have to tell myself, I am ok! I will eventually get it.

Today was hilarious! I was riding w two hot shot rider friends, one following me, reminding me to turn off my signal. I honked the horn by accident a couple of times stabbing for the turn signal switch. Good times!
Thank you for chiming in.Whooshka. Good to hear from you.

GR

Hi fellow riders,
Is manual cancellation of the turn signals on a 2012 FJR always necessary, or is their a fault with my newly acquired 2012?
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
GR
Manual only.
My solution is to fit a small waterproof buzzer across each front indicator light. I simply cleaned back the wiring insulation on each side of the bulb and soldered on two wires from the buzzer.
Important to wire in this way rather than breaking into one wire as the light will still flash even if the buzzer dies.
Mine is just loud enough to stop a pedestrian from stepping out in front of me.
🇬Cheers, John🇬🇧

Last edited:
My advice, cancel and cancel often. If you want self-canceling signals there are aftermarket kits that seem to work well.

~G
That used to be my habit until I got my Ducati. Cancelling with signals off gets you into the operation modes screen ;)

Well Damn Oldjeep, I always thought the expression "I've been Ducatied again" meant something entirely different.
When I bought my 05 FJR with 3500 mi on it a year ago. I thought I had been Ducatied because the cancelation switch travel felt almost as smooth with the turn signals on as off. I figured that was a sign my FJR had more miles on it than on it's clock.
Hate to admit it, but I also own a XVS 1300 with a whole 10,000 miles on it. That switch seems like the exact same switch minus the windshield adj button and a more like new click to it's cancellation when the turn signals actually ARE on.

When I bought my 05 FJR with 3500 mi on it a year ago. I thought I had been Ducatied because the cancelation switch travel felt almost as smooth with the turn signals on as off. I figured that was a sign my FJR had more miles on it than on it's clock.
Does your 05 FJR have an STS signal cancellation module already fitted to it as that totally smooth push-in feeling is what happens when you fit the STS/ST2 unit as pushing the switch in no longer does anything.

No STS cancellation on the 05. With a 1st generation dash. I have no excuse to be driving down the road thumbing the turn signal but it still happens. I'm thinking about trying to swap the lights for some fancy new non Chinese digital ones if I can find any? The one's I've seen look bright enough to be worth the trouble. Since it's all about the ride, and mine is a 99% daytime one. I'm going to give it a shot. I doubt it will be the last time I'm not stylin and profilin like I think I am but it will bring me enough peace of mind to be worth trying it.

I fitted S2s system, I use it for about 6 years on my 2014 Gen3. Quite easy to fit the worst bit is 2 small rubbers in the switch, any body with reasonable
DIY skills can manage. The system works almost faultless, Only time i can make it miss is on the motorway when moving out to over take, if there is no leaning ,cancels on time, so not much of an issue. hope this helps.