Two awesome Map/GPS apps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson

Reaction score
Had some time this vacation to play with some cool map software while I plotted some routes from Seattle to Northern Cal and back. I first tried playing with Mapsource, but I have found it really tedious to map out a custom route, although transferring to the Garmin is pretty easy.

Also, scored a Spot Messenger II during the holidays, but was disappointed to calculate how much $$ the annual fee plus tracking options will run ($150, plus the initial cost of the Messenger). So I found a couple of alternatives that, while not perfect, proved to be a great free alternative to Spot if you want to have the ability for others to track your route.

First up, the new Bing Maps is simply awesome! (Full disclosure, I work for Microsoft). I wasn't aware of its new features until SportsGuy and I started talking about getting the PNW crew together for a tutorial on how to use mapping software for the GPS. While I know my way around Mapsource, I don't really like it all that much, and I've used a whole bucket of cuss words after trying to retrace custom routes.

By example, Panman has a great little route up to La Conner that hits some nice twisty back roads. I spent 30 minutes in Mapsource trying to plot an accurate map, with lots of errors and restarts. In Bing, it took me 5 minutes: I simply typed in the start and end points, and then easily dragged the standard route along the backgroads I wanted it to track.

When Bing had recalculated the map to match my custom route, I then clicked the "Send to GPS" option at the end of the driving directions. (You are prompted to install the free Garmin Communicator web program, if you haven't done this already, do so before programming your route). It transferred it to the 2730 perfectly, I just had to plug in the USB cord to my computer!

Way easier than Mapsource, plus I could use the aeriel, topography, and 3D options of Bing to see what the route actually looked like. Very cool. I will be using Bing to plan custom routes from now on, and SportsGuy and I are working on putting together a presentation for the local PNW crew of how to use this online tool. You can quickly program a custom route on Bing Maps online, and download the route with one click to any Garmin GPS that supports downloadable routes. My 2730 qualifies, as does a newly acquired 755t only $199 at costco, and the whole Zumo family).

Other online tools like Everytrail also support the ability to download routes, but you have to convert files to to GPX, then import them into Mapsource. If you are on the road and without a laptop, Bing is a much better and more accessible tool if you can find a hotel's computer to go online (just need to have a USB cable to hook your Garmin too). Only bummer is that Bing doesn't yet appear to allow you to save a route online and share it, like you can at Everytrail or Google maps (or if they do, I don't know how too use the feature).

Trackr is the other really cool app. It requires a cell phone or laptop pc with a GPS receiver. Most new smartphones (like my Samsung Omnia) and all of the Iphones have GPS, as well as a few cheap cell phones. Anyway, Trackr essentially provides the same tracking feature as Spot does. You register for an online account, download the trackr application direct to your cell phone, and then turn on the track feature to begin tracking.

Your phone receives a datapoint from the satellite and every 15 seconds or so (configurable) your phone sends the data to Trackr's servers, which logs your position in your online Trackr account. Just like Spot, but totally free (your cell phone plan may incur charges; I have an unlimited data plan so it makes no difference). Trackr keeps logging the route until you turn off the tracker in the phone. Trackr allows you to control who can see your route, and tracks you in real time. You can even put a real time map of your location on your website, to allow friends and family to follow your route. It logs the route so you can save it and share it later, perfect for creating a library of favorite routes. (You can also do this with many GPS units now, but it is not automated the way trackr is).

mapview2.png

However, trackr adds one other super cool feature. If you and a buddy are logged in and tracking, you can view your buddy's location on your cellphone (assuming you have a screen). This works incredibly well on rides where you might become separated (ahem, Panman). Unlike Spot, there is no ability to send messages to emergency personnel or family, so it is NOT a replacement for Spot's great emergency locator and help features. But a free way to avoid paying the $50 annual fee for tracking. My wife and I used it when we took the kids shopping, so I'd know where she was when I finished.

windowsmobile2.png

I used trackr this week to track me from Yakima to Snoqualmie, and it did a great job. It took a few tries on the install; you first have to change the setting in your phone to permit it to use the GPS to track you (phone companies disable this except for 911). Once activated, it took a moment to pick up a signal, I had to drive about 400 feet before it started to track me. However, once it found me, it worked great.

I think one drawback of trackr is that you need cell phone coverage in order to send the data back to the trackr server, which could be a challenge in areas with poor coverage. However, my route from the Dalles had some obvious dead spots but the final tracked route had no gaps, so it must have filled in route between any cell phone coverage gaps.

One thing you need to know: it tracked and displayed my speed at various locations, something which would pose privacy and potential legal issues if you don't follow the speed limit, get pulled over, or get in an accident. I think you can control the data displayed to others, and you can control the identity of who sees this, but just be aware it is tracked and potentially available to others. Finally, one problem I had was the impact on batter life of my cell phone. Between the 15 second data send settings and the fact my phone would not turn off its screen during the time I had the GPS tracking on, it can eat up a cellphone battery much more quickly. However, a car charger rigged up to the battery would easily solve that problem.

Try both out, would love to hear comments about your experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very cool. I am using streets & trips I found mapsource a pain to use. Are you using the Beta version of Bing to get the GPX?

Updated - very nice, far easier to use than Mapsource. The tracking app looks really nice , if it decent I will try it in the morning.

Thanks...I think :blink: I'm anxiously awaiting the specialized training that you and sportsguy are planning. So I guess this means I need to upgrade the 'ol 205W then.

--G

Thanks...I think :blink: I'm anxiously awaiting the specialized training that you and sportsguy are planning. So I guess this means I need to upgrade the 'ol 205W then.
--G
Well, if you can figure a way to waterproof on the cheap (ziplock with a plastic tie?), the Costco unit I referenced is a steal. I ordered one yesterday, should have it mid week. $199!

Thanks, Hudson. I just added Bing Maps to my Favorites list.

Too bad you guys don't take your Tutorial on the road :)

In Bing, it took me 5 minutes: I simply typed in the start and end points, and then easily dragged the standard route along the backgroads I wanted it to track.
Why don't you do this in Mapsource? Am I missing something or are there other advantages to Bing? I've tried Bing and it does do some cool stuff like the "Bird's Eye" view. Just wondering.

Hudson, this sounds like a great setup and I'm going to dig into it. I'm a big Bing Maps fan and something of a maps junkie. Just got a Zumo, so stoked to try dropping some routes. I'm no big fan of Mapsource, either.

You know, if you'd like to, and people thought it of value, we could set up an Adobe Connect session that any and all could attend remotely. Using VOIP, it'd be free as I have a corporate account that would incur no cost. Let me know if you're interested and we could swap some email on it.

(On the other hand, you may have an MS LiveMeeting account that you could use!)

Hudson, thanks for the info, I too am not a great fan of MapSource.

One thing I found that people should be aware of is that Bing does not really like FireFox, effectively forcing you to use IE, especially for things like 3D and GPS transfer.

One thing I found that people should be aware of is that Bing does not really like FireFox, effectively forcing you to use IE, especially for things like 3D and GPS transfer.
Bing doesn't play all that well with Google Chrome, either.

Besides maps, though, Bing has some really interesting features. If you do a search for video, it will show previews on mouse-over. This is a really clever way to get through things quickly. Speaking of which, and not to take this off-topic, but you should check out a tool called CoolIris for Explorer or Safari. Real cool.

Now why would Microsoft do something like that???

I'm gonna dig in to Bing maps and have a look. I still don't like Bing's searches as well as Google's so I haven't done anything else with its other features. Microsoft historically has a "see, we can do it, too" mentality that just doesn't work sometimes.

Man am I behind in this area! I think half of this post must have been in Greek?

For me (A computer idiot) I would love to attend a workshop for this. My Mac would

be classified "antique"... I get on any mapping site and I get knocked off line. I guess

one should get a new PC after 14 years or so of use? :p

I read about all the riders loving to Plan their trips...I hate it... I can only swing a leg and go.

I am doing a 48plus in May. I have my route pretty well planned but could use some help from

paper planning, to tranfer into my 550 (Zumo). I would also like to track and record my actual

trip? Any teachers for a PC challenged student?

Sorry about the Hijacking- Back to those that understand! :D

Hudson, this sounds like a great setup and I'm going to dig into it. I'm a big Bing Maps fan and something of a maps junkie. Just got a Zumo, so stoked to try dropping some routes. I'm no big fan of Mapsource, either.
You know, if you'd like to, and people thought it of value, we could set up an Adobe Connect session that any and all could attend remotely. Using VOIP, it'd be free as I have a corporate account that would incur no cost. Let me know if you're interested and we could swap some email on it.

(On the other hand, you may have an MS LiveMeeting account that you could use!)
I think we will try to videotape this and post on youtube. Hopefully we will get some of the bing dev's to instruct, since I know about 10% of Bing Map's capabilities. There are lots of hidden gems in this app, same with Trackr. Will post when we are ready. But playing around with these apps (hint, try right clicking on a map and see the ability to add waypoints, pictures, etc) will help too.

Relying on a mapping tool that requires an internet connection is a deal breaker for me.

I don't have a problem with Mapsource. Good info on bing though, I will check it out.

Tracking via cel phone- relies on cel phone service. There is no cel phone service in much of the west. SPOT uses satellites that cover everywhere, comparable with sat phone service, not cel phone service. Might be viable in some places where there is cel service everywhere.

In Bing, it took me 5 minutes: I simply typed in the start and end points, and then easily dragged the standard route along the backgroads I wanted it to track.
Why don't you do this in Mapsource? Am I missing something or are there other advantages to Bing? I've tried Bing and it does do some cool stuff like the "Bird's Eye" view. Just wondering.
Rick, I've used mapsource, and frankly, it sucks (search "garmin mapsucks" and you'll see I am not alone). Plus, it is feature poor: it doesn't show any detail. Apps like Bing and Google maps show lots of detail (trip details, topography, 3d or bird's eye view so you know if a road is a paved or unpaved road). Mapsource is certainly better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as basic map programs like Streets and Trips.

Garmin was brilliant to introduce communicator, which uses a Java script language to allow any website to easily port map information to a GPS unit. Lots of websites have adopted this tool to produce very cool apps which download all kinds of data to GPS.

I have been using GoogleMaps and then converting the output to GPX format with the "GMapToGpx utility.

I'll give the BingMaps a try, but not being able to share or save a route is a big negative, IMO.

I also don't have all that many problems using MapSucks. Once you learn the idiosyncrasies of the program you can knock out a route pretty quickly. If you import your GPX file from Gmap first it's just a matter of cleaning the routes up (adjusting waypoints) and re-saving and then uploading to the GPS.

[Edit] There is a little envelope icon in the lower left of the driving directions page that gives you a link with your route embedded in it, just like GoogleMaps

Here's a quickie route I just made from my house to my son's

Test Route

That seems to work, so that eliminates that as an issue for using this app. I'll have to play with it some more...

^^^ That depends on what you expect from "GPX output" too. All you get is a sequential list of waypoints from Google Maps, which you have to put into Mapsource (or directly into your GPS receiver if it supports GPX files) and recalculate. That recalc may case changes in the route, since routing algorithms will be different in the Mapsource than on Google Maps.

Actually, you don't even get the GPX file from Google Maps until you export its link to another utility.

^^^ That depends on what you expect from "GPX output" too. All you get is a sequential list of waypoints from Google Maps, which you have to put into Mapsource (or directly into your GPS receiver if it supports GPX files) and recalculate. That recalc may case changes in the route, since routing algorithms will be different in the Mapsource than on Google Maps.
True. My experience is that the GmapToGpx utility puts in too many waypoints to describe the route in great detail. When cleaning the route up I will go in using Mapsource and delete a bunch of them while watching the route to be sure it doesn't change. I also end up having to move all the waypoints from the intersections to just after the intersections so the GPS doesn't try to announce the waypoint and you miss the turn directions.