Two issues-Bugger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza

Reaction score
Took the bike for a 100 mile run today to try out the Cardo packtalk and arrived in town sitting at the lights with the ABS light flashing on and off. All looked ok and going through another 6 sets of lights arrived at my favorite lunch stop with the coolant temp sitting on 125 degrees celsius. Parked the bike and see antifreeze trickling out from what appeared to be front bottom where the LH and RH fairings meet below the radiator. Then thought i would leave the bike while i had some lunch and then went back to the bike thinking it might need water but the reservoir was spot on sitting on the top mark. After restarting when cold the ABS light did not come on again all the way home and the coolant temp sat on 70-77 degrees celsius all the way home.

I'm going to guess the ABS has reset itself when i turned it off for lunch but i think there may be a coolant issue when the temp gets up which i need to investigate.

Any thoughts appreciated

Regards to all

Gazza

Last edited by a moderator:
Had you recently filled the coolant? If filled to the "top" mark cold, it will lose a little then settle to about 2/3 of the way up between the two marks.

The ABS flashing can be caused by the rear brake binding, which can be due to lack of brake pedal pivot lubrication. Check your pedal returns freely. (Or might you have been riding for a while with your foot pressing the pedal a bit?)

Thanks Mcatrophy.I changed the coolant about 3000km ago but just had the issues today so don't think they are related. Looks like possible fluid from around the cap area so may take off the LHS fairing and run up to temp and check. Cap maybe and or hose leak maybe??. Will also have a look at the brake pedal movement etc

Thanks again

Gazza

On the 2013,2014 + there is an issue with a not properly tightened radiator hose clamp especially at the left side..Have a look around there in the area..

Happened to many 2013,2014 + models...

Hi guys

Coolant level this morning is a fraction below the top mark. Thanks Mihalis, I will pull the LHS fairing off and check the clamps.

Morning guys

OK, Left panel off and it appears to have been leaking around the thermostat housing with traces of fluid at the base of the housing so next move will be to order new themostat as the casket is part of the housing and i might as well get a new cap and as Mihalis suggests check all the hose clamps before re assembly.

Regards

Gazza

Guys

Shot here of the Alloy thermostat housing and corrosion at the bottom most part where leak was. Question....Wil this clean up ok or do i go new???.

No..Me thinks for the sake of 30 bucks its better to throw a new one in there.

Regards

Gazza

P1040875.jpg

Is there a gasket in there? If so I'd just clean it up and use some grease with the new gasket. But I agree, just 30 bucks might make you feel better.

Since you are concerned about the changing temperature, a new thermostat is a good idea. Make sure the thermostat comes with the gasket, otherwise you may need to order the gasket separately.

If you think the pitting in the housing is a problem, then a very light film of silicon might be a good idea.

How is the fluid level in the radiator? If there is an air leak at the thermostat, when the rad cools, it will suck in air via the leak rather than siphoning back the fluid in the overflow bottle. The apparent level in the bottle might not mean anything. You might be quite low on coolant and this might explain why the temperature was steady and lower than expected. Possible that coolant wasn't even coming in contact with the temperature sensor.

There might not be anything wrong with the thermostat. Leak might go away with careful tightening but why take a chance.

Radiator was full RossKean and i can see coolant in the hose which connects to the thermostat housing. Coolant also came out after splitting the housing.

I think i am making the right call replacing the themostat(which comes with the rubber seal) and the alloy thermostat housing as i'm not overly fussed about pulling the farings off as you can understand infact the less i have to do that job the better so my train of thought is do it once and do it right.

Regards

Gazza

Radiator was full RossKean and i can see coolant in the hose which connects to the thermostat housing. Coolant also came out after splitting the housing.
Regards

Gazza
Good - just wanted to point out another possibility. I have encountered situations where someone thought the radiator (bike or car) was full just because there was fluid in the overflow bottle. Loose radiator cap, air leak or kinked siphon hose could make that an incorrect assumption.

Hi guys

Have replaced the thermostat housing and thermostat as mentioned and checked all the hose clamps in the near vicinity and we are good to go. I also checked the ABS sensors on both wheels, they looked clean but gave them a wipe down and put them back in place. Done two decent rides now without issue.

Gazza