Two-up riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddydukes

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just introduced myself on the new member page. I am expecting to have an FJR in the stable as soon as I sell my BMW K1200LT.

The beemer is perfect for 2-up travel. My wife and I did almost 900 miles over the Memorial Day weekend traveling from Kentucky through West Virginia to Va. and back after some really nice mountain riding.

From your experiences, what am I going to have to do to the FJR to make it relatively comfortable for my wife on long trips? She has her own bike and rides, but doesn't take it on the long trips. I expect that I will add a topcase and probably have to lower the passenger pegs, but are there other things that I should consider?

All thoughts appreciated.

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Most issues discussed here have more to do with rider comfort than passenger comfort. You need to make sure you are at peace with the handlebar height/angle, and foot position, and windshield height. Then address the saddles, as the stockers are too soft for most human asses. Have fun! Phil

Yes the windshield will have buffeting that an aftermarket one can cure and depending on her tollerance for the seat that might have to be changed.

With a back case and a backrest or pad on the front of it that will help her but other than that there isn't much else that can be changed.

I found with the Yamaha Trunk, You need to tilt it back slightly (install spacers on the front mounts) to keep it from pushing your passenger forward

The Rick Mayer custom dual seat makes my wife happy. The Givi Trunk or backrest is needed for longer trips. She's only 5'0", and hasn't asked for peg extenders.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife didn't want me to install the backrest on the Yamaha trunk, she prefers the seating position with out it.

I lowered the passenger pegs for her which really helps on a long trip. The trade off is a longer step-over to get on. I also added heat shields to keep from over heating her boots. Your situation on a Gen II may be a bit different in this case.

I also went the aftermarket seat route, which is much better than the stocker.

If the weather is going to be very cold or we will need to do a long highway drone I put on a Laminar Lip which extends a calm, clean pocket of air over the passenger.

She has her own bike and rides, but doesn't take it on the long trips. All thoughts appreciated.

Keith
What does she ride? Is it a bike issue, or a confidence thing, to avoid long trips on her own bike? If she has suitable wheels and is willing to give it a go, confidence levels increase with experience. She might be OK with progressively longer rides.

I'm willing to ride two up for short distances, but I soon get bored then restless and uncomfortable. Sitting on the front seat makes for quite the distraction from any discomfort. Radio contact with you, might help ease any anxiety. DH and I have Chatterboxes but we rarely use them now.

Jill

She has her own bike and rides, but doesn't take it on the long trips. All thoughts appreciated.

Keith
What does she ride? Is it a bike issue, or a confidence thing, to avoid long trips on her own bike? If she has suitable wheels and is willing to give it a go, confidence levels increase with experience. She might be OK with progressively longer rides.

I'm willing to ride two up for short distances, but I soon get bored then restless and uncomfortable. Sitting on the front seat makes for quite the distraction from any discomfort. Radio contact with you, might help ease any anxiety. DH and I have Chatterboxes but we rarely use them now.

Jill
Jill,

Thank you, but it is not a confidence issue or a communications issue. She is an accomplished rider, but has back problems that just do not allow her to ride her bike on the lengthy trips we often take. That's why the trunk w/backrest is probably the most important consideration. Even with the wonderful comfort of the BMW, we have to take frequent stops for her to do something for her back pain.

Glad to hear from a female rider. Thank you.

Keith

If you have to make lots of stops on the BMW you will stop a lot on the FJR I sold our Wing last Year due to Storm damage on our home. She loved the wing but has trouble on the FJR. I love it but think it is best suited for one up rideing.

Good day, eh from Canuckistan.

I have an '06 (Gen II).

When my wife rides with me I use a Givi Maxia 52 litre top trunk with back pad. This is more of a confidence thing - she never rode before I got the FJR, and insisted she needed something to lean back against a la Wingabago. Have done all-day rides (12 hrs) with no complaints. Pegs are in stock location (she has short legs). So far no complaints from the pillion about the stock seat (I have issues from my end of the bike, but that's another thread...). Recently changed the stock windscreen for a Givi 436ST, and it smoothes things out very nicely for both of us. Pillion reports very little buffet, much greater comfort.

Apart from the backrest, the best "comfort" addition isn't really a comfort item - I installed an Autocom so we can chat, and also enjoy some tunes (pillion controls the i-Pod).

FJR makes a nice 2-up touring bike. It isn't a Wing - you need to be selective about what you pack, but as far as comfort on a trip it is a joy.

Enjoy!

Griff

Hi Keith, and welcome to the group. You didn't mention which generation FJR you have. Assuming you have the GenII ('06 - '08), engine heat won't be an issue, but if you bought a GenI machine, consider doing the heat mods described elsewhere on this forum.

As for long range riding, I'd highly recommend the Wild Bill Highway Pegs. I found being able to reposition my legs on occasion really helps. Also I found that positioning the bars on my GenII machine at the rearward position made for a more comfortable ride.

I've had two FJR's, first an '05 and now an '07. I had the Yamaha Top Box on my '05, along with the passenger pad. My wife complained she was sitting up too vertical. That arrangement was fine for short trips, but it bothered her on longer trips.

On my '07 I decided to install a Givi box (E52), but didn't utilize the Givi mounting plate (which means you have to deinstall the Yamaha passenger grab rails and replace them with the Givi grab rail mount.) Instead I used a different plate which you can view at: (https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Small_Sport_Touring_Rack_II_p/11500.htm) This plate let me to position the top box slightly further back, which allows my wife to lean back a bit, and she likes it much better. The Givi E250 mounting plate bolts to this plate and accepts various types of Givi Top Boxes (V46, E52, etc).

Something else to consider. If you decide to go with a Givi Top Box with the LED light kit, don't buy the Givi light kit. It's not very bright. Instead order the Givi Top Box without the light kit, then order the Admore Light Kit from Premier Cycle Accessories. It's much brighter.

SR-71

Jill
I'd get some if I thought my wife wouldn't use them.

:rolleyes:

Hi Keith, and welcome to the group. You didn't mention which generation FJR you have. Assuming you have the GenII ('06 - '08), engine heat won't be an issue, but if you bought a GenI machine, consider doing the heat mods described elsewhere on this forum.
As for long range riding, I'd highly recommend the Wild Bill Highway Pegs. I found being able to reposition my legs on occasion really helps. Also I found that positioning the bars on my GenII machine at the rearward position made for a more comfortable ride.

I've had two FJR's, first an '05 and now an '07. I had the Yamaha Top Box on my '05, along with the passenger pad. My wife complained she was sitting up too vertical. That arrangement was fine for short trips, but it bothered her on longer trips.

On my '07 I decided to install a Givi box (E52), but didn't utilize the Givi mounting plate (which means you have to deinstall the Yamaha passenger grab rails and replace them with the Givi grab rail mount.) Instead I used a different plate which you can view at: (https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Small_Sport_Touring_Rack_II_p/11500.htm) This plate let me to position the top box slightly further back, which allows my wife to lean back a bit, and she likes it much better. The Givi E250 mounting plate bolts to this plate and accepts various types of Givi Top Boxes (V46, E52, etc).

Something else to consider. If you decide to go with a Givi Top Box with the LED light kit, don't buy the Givi light kit. It's not very bright. Instead order the Givi Top Box without the light kit, then order the Admore Light Kit from Premier Cycle Accessories. It's much brighter.

SR-71
I have pretty much the same set up as SR-71 except I opted for the mounting kit to go from the sport rack to the E52. My wife loves it and is bigger and better looking than the Yamaha top box.

The mounting kit is 18.00 from the same site as the sport rack. My wife is 5'3" and the mounting kits allows the E52 to be mounted a tad lower than the Givi mount allows although if your wife is a tad taller the Givi mount may be nicer for you.

Enjoy!

First rule of riding comfortably with a pillion is to make sure the pillion is someone you really like. It is a lot more comfortable if you don't mind being held on to and nudged around a little.

Communication is important, but it doesn't have to be electronic. Body language and a few signs agreed to in advance are really all you need.

Regarding a back rest or top case, I find the Givi top case to be perfect without a pad. The pad forces your pillion forward a little too much and a riding jacket already provides enough padding for comfort.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I used to like in Charlotte, which is Givi's US headquarters and have bought quite a bit of the stuff. Good quality and that was the direction I was going.

You've all made me feel welcome and I look forward to being a part of this forum for a long time. Now, let's just go get an FJR!

Keith

There is one more option if you go with the Givi trunk..

We have a forum member that builds a bright LED break light set up for the trunk and that might turn out to be a better option..

I found with the Yamaha Trunk, You need to tilt it back slightly (install spacers on the front mounts) to keep it from pushing your passenger forward

+1 I havent done anything yet but my passengers complain that they feel too upright with the Yami Top Box and Backrest