Ultimate Naked Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you checked out the latest offering from Ducati. . .the Streetfighter? They took the mill from the 1098 and re-tuned it for more torque lower in the rpm range at the cost of peak hp, which they claim is still 155hp. Around 400lbs in weight I think. . .it sure has my attention and my wife worried.

Kawasaki Z750

Ducati Monster

Street Triple

The three that make my short list, for one reason or another. The Z750 can't be bought in the USA, but it's a lighter, less wide version of the Z1000. Very easy to ride.

If you can find a dealer that has one in stock, and can then afford all the valve checks, a Ducati Monster 696 is sized right for the shorter among us.
I have a Monster 696 and it has plenty of get up and go for me but compared to the Brutale 1078 you might find it lacking power at 80HP vs the 150 or so of the Brutale. It is fun though. I wouldn't want it as an only ride but it makes a nice compliment to the FJR. And as my sister says, it is good "garage bling".

gypsy
A co-worker of mine just bought one of those (monster) swwweeeeeet ride!!

The best looking naked bike IMHO

This is mostly rehashing bikes already mentioned, but I'm a fan of fast standards and always keep an eye out for:

First-gen FZ-1, not flashy, but it's fast and comfortable. I've seen them run at the front of the advanced group at track days (well, that was mostly the rider, but still... it's not like it's a GS-500 :) ).

Tuono, especially the Factory with O.Z. wheels and Ohlins suspension. The guy that owns STT rides one and there aren't many but the racers that pass him.

Speed Triple, the engine is, IMO, the best street bike engine available.

Street Triple, especially the new R, not as much engine, but also not as much weight. Still more than fast enough, too. And might be the answer if inseam is an issue.

I'd take an air-cooled Monster over the S4R. The speed isn't worth the ugly. But that's moot because Monsters fit me funny.

Also, if you happen to stumble upon one of the old Speed 4s, that's one of the most underrated bikes ever.

KTM 950 SM for show off hooligan fun IMHO will beat the pants off of just about anything on any kind of road. The 690 SMC is no slouch but sporties will leave it behind in the straights.

Please,

So much testosterone here that I feel like I'm at a Village People concert.

W650.

Parallel twin, kick start, carbs, poor seat, SLOW, handles :unsure: somewhat, cheap and hard to find.

A real motorcycle without the breakdown issues. Too bad it wasn't made in England. :rolleyes:

If I'm looking for the ultimate naked bike where handling, power and good ergos for an inseam challenged rider are paramount, what steed would you choose and why?
2008-Honda-Ruckus.jpg

on a side note, my SiL has a Triumph Daytona (last year of the 600) and it's been dead-nuts reliable since he bought it new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked out the latest offering from Ducati. . .the Streetfighter? They took the mill from the 1098 and re-tuned it for more torque lower in the rpm range at the cost of peak hp, which they claim is still 155hp. Around 400lbs in weight I think. . .it sure has my attention and my wife worried.

Yes, I'll take a Streetfighter S if you please.

Although I still LOVE the looks of the MV....

KM

I've ridden the KTM's and ducs but always feel best on my ZRX. piped and jetted ,advancer ohlins rear shocks, front springs for my weight. those are the must do modsbut you can get a good used one under 4k.. and mod away. Stone cold reliable too.

I know people love 'em, but the three Triumphs I've ridden - Speed Triple, Tiger, and Sprint - all had gave me headaches trying to find the right gear. Finding neutral at stops got me extra bonus points. Way too much clutch work for me to enjoy. Too bad.

W650.Parallel twin, kick start, carbs, poor seat, SLOW, handles :unsure: somewhat, cheap and hard to find.

A real motorcycle without the breakdown issues. Too bad it wasn't made in England. :rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more. Bought a 2001 W650 after looking for almost a year as a divorce gift to myself and have had more laughs and giggles than I can remember. The new and improved gal pal loves it as well. I think sometimes we get too wrapped up in the latest and greatest and forget that the bikes we road back way back when are still a blast. Taking the motor up to 7K and snapping the throttle off through an overpass .... Ahhhh .... pure mechanical music. I even took out the starter so it's kick or die baby :)

It's also great for customizing as you can take it anyway you want...including full retro cafe racer !!

For example -

KawaW650CafeRacer.jpg

DSC02097.JPG

I realize that different strokes for different folks applies here. It's just that I thought I'd second Capt Bob's suggestion

I haven't seen a W650 in a long while, but I think it's pretty sad they did such a better job at retro Brit bike than Triumph did! :)

1975 kawasaki z1 900 with a 1075 kit 32 mm mikunis , bremo doubles on the front . beefed up frame with r1 rear and beefed up front end , 5/12 in. rear whell / 4 up front semi straight bars , stablizer , penske rear shock, open headers. Re do the seat (I f you know the z1 you know 95 percent of the oweners re did there seats or have aftermarket stuff i had my finished custom ). Think about it a bit ..................................... Sounds good to meeeeeeeeeee.