Uncle Bill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
Bill Rice [74 hard years old] was know as Uncle Bill to all of the local folks and kin. Kind of a rough and tough no filter fellow with a huge caring heart.

Uncle Bill was my brother-in-law and one of my best friends. We rode a lot of miles together even though our riding styles were completely opposite. Bill was a Harley Davidson man though and through. Not the see me and all my chrome one but the one that loves his bike, treats it better than some of his wife's and rode it from bar to bar. But, in Uncle Bills case, there was often 400 miles between the bars.

The last time he and I rode together [and also his last ride due to health problems] was for his bachelor party in 2013.

581767_3146660881056_1425713864_n.jpg

Since and even then, he was fighting with many health problems. Cancer of the kidneys, problem with his body building good blood and terrible pain in his legs when he walked. We tried quite a few times to ride but the damn legs just would not let him.

Fast forward to early Sunday morning, his dog was barking and whining. His wife, Jill, heard the dog and went in to check on him and found him on the floor. She tried to get him up but could not so she called an ambulance. They rushed Bill to the closest hospital and started running test to find out what was wrong. Things for Bill were going down hill fast and they moved him in to the ICU unit. By 7PM Tuesday night the doctors had to put a tube down his throat to help him breath. By then Jill was running out of energy so she and I discussed how much life support Bill wanted and I sent her home. It was kind of a crazy night. I talked a lot with Bill thinking that he could hear me and know that someone was there with him. Also played some songs that he liked. 5AM in the morning Bill flat lined. I yell for the nurse and called his wife. The nurse put out the code blue call. Almost instantly the room was a beehive of people trying to bring Bill back. After about 35 minutes they got a week pulse and tried to stabilize him. Bill live long enough to hear his wife tell him how much she loved him and passed on.

I know he's in a better place without pain but damn it sucks. Left a big hole in my heart that is going to take a long time to fill.

So here's a toast of Crown Royal to one of the most interesting man and my friend, Bill Rice.

12359964_10201106778067188_6815181851047174659_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My deepest sympathy to you and Bill's survivors for your loss. Sounds like he was an interesting fellow to have known.

Some people stand out from the crowd and hold our attention, and against them others just don't always shine as brightly for us. But you seem to be glowing as you tell us of him, Dave, no doubt a result of that brightness that held your attention for so long.

May many fond memories, whether those shared or those held close, continue to bridge you across this new distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss, sounds like you had some good times to reflect on and relish.

Damnit Niehart. ( I can handle near 'bout ANYthing except the passing of a good man.). I feel for (and feel) your loss. Be the rock. I'm sure others will need it.

Thank you for sharing this. Selfishly, it reminds me that we don't get to decide everything.

Ride on, Bill