UPDATE - DUE To impending severe weather the PNW Fall Tech Meet #17 - October 22nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in, I need to learn more about this new bike. G is probably going to start charging me for consultations.
smile.png
...I won't hurt you too bad 'junior!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I'm in. I'll refresh my forks this time around. Just bringing the forks and parts, not the bike.

Should i bring fork oil or is there some there i can use?

I'm in. I'll refresh my forks this time around. Just bringing the forks and parts, not the bike.Should i bring fork oil or is there some there i can use?
I've got some experienced fork oil that I just drained out of bigjohnsd's bike. You're welcome to it.:) :) :) :)

I'm probably still going to be in the hospital so perhaps the spring meet. I'm really going to make it one of these days.

I have to bow out already. My boss decided I needed to spend the weekend at the paper mill. Hope to join you in the spring.

I'm in. I'd like to do my forks, brake flush and grease the rear suspension linkage if that's a reasonable proposition?

Thanks!

Mike

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday October 15th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pull pork sandwich, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart +2

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Fontanaman

fjrwalker

audiowize

PigPen

samamoto

harper

JamesW

ahchiu

SeattleTy

Harald

wingshot

n2osx

juniorfjr

RoadTrip

chazglenn3

greysabor

AdamK

ChrisCVo

allrider

redneckj

JohnnyB

squadFiftyOne
List is up to date.

for those that need a parts list for forks (verify when you order as this is a couple of years old)

you will need 2 each of the following:

4SV-23135-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Lower Bushing)

3P6-23135-00-00 METAL, SLIDE 2 (Middle Bushing)

4SV-23125-10-00 METAL, SLIDE 1 (Upper Bushing)

4SV-23115-00-00 GUIDE, COVER UPPER (Washer)

4SV-23145-01-00 OIL SEAL

4SV-23156-00-00 CLIP, OIL SEAL (Ring clip)

4SV-23144-00-00 SEAL, DUST (Dust seal)

You will also need 2 liter of fork oil

Got your PM, Auburn -- Thanks!

No lunch for me. I've got an appointment in the Marysville/Arlington area @ 2pm on the 15th, so I'll only be there for the first half.

I've got the "special tool" (a.k.a: 2" ID exhaust pipe) for the fork rebuild. Do you need me to bring it with me, or do you already have that covered?

Got your PM, Auburn -- Thanks!
No lunch for me. I've got an appointment in the Marysville/Arlington area @ 2pm on the 15th, so I'll only be there for the first half.

I've got the "special tool" (a.k.a: 2" ID exhaust pipe) for the fork rebuild. Do you need me to bring it with me, or do you already have that covered?
got it covered

In regards to fork oil. Motul 7.5 weight with GP valving is awesome. The 7.5 weight is much much better than the maxia 5 weight that GP installs. I would think a 10 weight fork oil would be good for stock valving. Need to slow down the rebound. MCRIDER007, what do U think for oil with stock valving?

Last edited by a moderator:
In regards to fork oil. Motul 7.5 weight with GP valving is awesome. I would think the 7.5 or 10 weight would be good for stock valving. Steve, what do U think for oil with stock valving?
If this question is directed at me, I think the best weight oil is what was used by the manufacturer to design the valving, and I believe that is 5wt oil for the FJR stock valving. All suspension is a compromise depending on temperatures, rider weight, spring weight, and riding style so a variation from 5wt oil on OEM valving may be an improvement in some circumstances.

Some of the aftermarket suspension builders, such as GP Suspension and Traxxion, confuse things when they use 7wt oil to design their fork valving. The reason is all about economics rather than performance, there are only a couple of fork oil companies that sell premium fork oil by the 55 gallon drum and those oils are 7wt. 5wt oil is actually superior to 7wt oil because there is less variation due oil temperature changes but if the valving was developed using 7wt than that is what you should stick with (I am repeating what Dave Hodges told me when he owned GP Suspension)....at least as a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator: