Upsizing Rear Tire to 190/55 (w/ pics)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my 190 on about 2 weeks ago. The annual Army inspection said the wearbars were too close. I said the threads weren't showing yeat but they don't have the same sense of humor. I found that my commute mile reading went from 57.8 (one way) to 56.1 so a drop of 1.7 out of 50 so about 2.5%? (I need a calculator, that was just off my head. The tach/speedo will not have changed at sll, however, at the same physical velocity the RPM's should be a bit lower. I am hoping that they will last a little longer, measured in days.

Every review I've ever heard from mags and people I know, point out how larger rear tires (think cruisers and customs) make cornering turn in more sluggish. Has that been your experience? (late to the thread)

I put my 190 on about 2 weeks ago. The annual Army inspection said the wearbars were too close. I said the threads weren't showing yeat but they don't have the same sense of humor. I found that my commute mile reading went from 57.8 (one way) to 56.1 so a drop of 1.7 out of 50 so about 2.5%? (I need a calculator, that was just off my head. The tach/speedo will not have changed at sll, however, at the same physical velocity the RPM's should be a bit lower. I am hoping that they will last a little longer, measured in days.
Funny, this actually brought my dream-o-meter back down to "somewhat reality".

PR3's front and rear ordered from American motorcycle tire... Fatsider number? Can I have dibs on 45 or 69?
45, sure. 69 however we may have to save for the biggest whore-dawg FatSider.

I try not to be a number
Tell that to the government!
nea.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bounce" data-cid="1094485" data-time="1379172471"><p>

Every review I've ever heard from mags and people I know, point out how larger rear tires (think cruisers and customs) make cornering turn in more sluggish. Has that been your experience? (late to the thread)</p></blockquote>

No, exactly the opposite. The 190/55 is taller, not wider.

I wouldn't describe handling as quicker or lighter necessarily,

but definitely more accurate or precise.

Steering response is wonderfully linear in both turn-in and

left-to-right transitions much like steering a car.

An added bonus is the ability to hold a line through a turn without

any pressure on the bars. I can actually let go of the bars

mid-turn without any drama.

I was originally is search of a longer lasting rear tire ( yet to be determined )

but to say I'm pleased with the results is an understatement.

Every review I've ever heard from mags and people I know, point out how larger rear tires (think cruisers and customs) make cornering turn in more sluggish. Has that been your experience? (late to the thread)
If you use a 190/50 this will probably be the case. 190/55, in my experience, has no downside other than $$$. Steering is light and precise as earlier mentioned.

If you use a 190/50 this will probably be the case. 190/55, in my experience, has no downside other than $$$. Steering is light and precise as earlier mentioned.
This should be right. In the case of wider tire on the same outside circumference, it would be slightly slower steering, and should also have more turn in effort. But the added rear diameter of the 190/50 should offset the flatter profile of stuffing the wider meat on the too narrow rim.

Either way, expect to pay more money for relatively little difference.

Crap. Backordered.
Need em for EOM probably?

I'd go with the PR2's, they'll last a bit longer, ya will give up 'some' whett-weather traction true but my 2's have been pretty stout in the rain. Now if u lived in Seattle for example, I could see waiting on the 3's.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Bounce" data-cid="1094485" data-time="1379172471"><p>Every review I've ever heard from mags and people I know, point out how larger rear tires (think cruisers and customs) make cornering turn in more sluggish. Has that been your experience? (late to the thread)</p></blockquote>

No, exactly the opposite. The 190/55 is taller, not wider.

I wouldn't describe handling as quicker or lighter necessarily,

but definitely more accurate or precise.

Steering response is wonderfully linear in both turn-in and

left-to-right transitions much like steering a car.

An added bonus is the ability to hold a line through a turn without

any pressure on the bars. I can actually let go of the bars

mid-turn without any drama.

I was originally is search of a longer lasting rear tire ( yet to be determined )

but to say I'm pleased with the results is an understatement.

After 1,000 miles on 190/55 PR3s, I agree with SLK50's analysis. Definitely cleaner on first turn-in, better in-corner stability, and bonus lack of peg-dragging two-up. Very happy I moved to the 190/55.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I wonder if it isn't so much the shape or size of the tire, but more the fact that the added height raises the tail and thus effectively moves the C.G. forward? Sure feels like a different bike.

Seems like those of us with either an adjustable ride height shock, or using shorter dog bones could get the same effect as the taller 190 tire?

I have raised my tail (using the adjustable shock) to the point where there is only 1 inch between the rear tire and the pavement when on the center stand.

Yep, that's my thought on the steering "improvement" associated with the bigger rear meat. Pretty easy to get those same steering angles if you have an aftermarket shock, or even with aftermarket dog-bones.

But then all' a the gurlz won't be lookin' at your fat azz, yo! ;)