US Riders need Canadian proof of Insurance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do I need a non-residence car insurance card while visiting Canada?

Yes, if you are traveling to Canada for a visit or vacation then you request from your insurance agent a non-residence inter-province motor vehicle liability insurance card. This card should show that you are properly insured by your insurance carrier while driving within the borders of Canada.

To make certain that your insurance policy allows you to travel to Canada and thus extends your coverages for you to this region, check with your insurance agent. He or she should be able to let you know if your current coverages will be enough for Canadian laws for the area in Canada in which you are driving.

If your current insurance will cover you, you should ask your insurance company for a yellow Non-resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card. This card signifies that your insurance company has agreed to provide coverage of not less than the minimum legal requirement in any Canadian jurisdiction in which you will travel.

Keep this insurance card in your vehicle as proof of your insurance if requested by a police officer. You will also need to keep your car's registration paperwork with you to show authorities if asked.
So our insurance companies can determine whether or not we can travel to Canada?

I've driven in Canada dozens of times since 1985 (grew up in Rochester NY and went to school in Buffalo) and never heard of this requirement. Last time was just about a year ago.

Need a passport the last 5 years or so, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our vehicles are insured with Auto Owners and the insurance cards show coverage in Canada. For my motorcycles with Progressive, I must call and ask for the Canada Insurance card. I always carry it, have asked at the border about its purpose and they didn't know? Maybe it's like the International Drivers License we buy before riding in Europe and never use. Possibly for when ya wreck???

I called Geico after this and they're sending me my special yellow card in the mail. Never knew and I've been up last 3 or 4 years in a row without it, but it's free so why not.

A couple responses are rather irritating :glare: What's the big deal anyway? a lot of shit changed after 911.

This doesn't cost you a dime, a keystroke and you'll have it.

And the "I didn't know I needed it" won't fly as an excuse in most courts.. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Yes, I've heard that phrase a few times over the years before I opened my wallet. :(

A couple responses are rather irritating :glare: What's the big deal anyway? a lot of shit changed after 911.

This doesn't cost you a dime, a keystroke and you'll have it.

And the "I didn't know I needed it" won't fly as an excuse in most courts.. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Yes, I've heard that phrase a few times over the years before I opened my wallet. :(
+1, Gunny; Thanks Bustanut joker for finally some Words of Wisdom on this topic, I really don't give a fat rat's patooie if any one gets this card or not: But it's Canadian Law (not the Insurance Company for Christ's sake!) that we Gringos get the damned thing!

OK--no more complaining from me. Just as long as I still get to bring my handgun collection to show to everyone... :D

OK--no more complaining from me. Just as long as I still get to bring my handgun collection to show to everyone... :D
+1, Gunny; big bore automatics really impress the Canuck Mounties, preferably Colt 45's or Beretta 9mm or SW 40's!

+1, Gunny; big bore automatics really impress the Canuck Mounties, preferably Colt 45's or Beretta 9mm or SW 40's!
You Yanks are so 19th Century. After 911 all the Canadian Customs crossings were outfitted with what looks like video cameras to take you licence number. In fact if you show the Customs folks your punie Glock or SW's they just push a button and the rail cannon vaporizes you and the bike where you sit. No clean up required. Next please.

We Canucks are on top of the current technology you know. Very 21st Century stuff
wink.gif

You Yanks are so 19th Century. After 911 all the Canadian Customs crossings were outfitted with what looks like video cameras to take you licence number. In fact if you show the Customs folks your punie Glock or SW's they just push a button and the rail cannon vaporizes you and the bike where you sit. No clean up required. Next please.

We Canucks are on top of the current technology you know. Very 21st Century stuff
wink.gif

Gosh.... I hope I get to meet Sgt. Preston. ;)

I called ahead and warned them that an English gentleman in an Audi with California plates was going to be smuggling contraband "into" Canada. Told them he had lots of hiding spots, coulda heard the rubber gloves snapping over the phone. :eek:

I called ahead and warned them that an English gentleman in an Audi with California plates was going to be smuggling contraband "into" Canada. Told them he had lots of hiding spots, coulda heard the rubber gloves snapping over the phone. :eek:
You should be commended for your vigilance.. I know it must be hard reporting a fellow ya thought ya knew but ya gotta do what ya must..

Acording to my State Farm agent only the Provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan require the cards.

The western provinces accept the U.S. cards.

Don2334

All this discussion on insurance got me to this website Canada travel requirements which has more than I wanted to know. The following may be interesting to those coming from the East and crossing the border prior to Saskatchewan:

"It is illegal to take automobile radar detectors into Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, the Yukon or the Northwest Territories, regardless of whether they are used or not. Police there may confiscate radar detectors, operational or not, and impose substantial fines. "

So far my border crossing kit includes:

Passports

Photo ID

Bike registration

Bike Insurance (Canada coverage card)

Medical insurance (Proof of Canada coverage)

DOT helmets

Feet glued to foot pegs

Pepper spray left home (I understand Bear Spray is OK)

Post it note on dash to Resist urge to lane share

What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Mi Sobrino Juan por favor listen carefully to your Tio Chuy, you've forgotten the Essential "Tres C's" for entering Republica de Canuckistan; Cash, Condoms and Cutty Sark - ese, es Verdad Chico!