Using Elected Officials As Start Witnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunMD

Reaction score
Planning a BBG soon and need to know if the City's Mayor will be good enough to fufill the "one start witness" requirement. If I'm reading the IBA rules correctly I need two witnesses unless one is a police officer, firefighter, etc. I would think that the Mayor would qualify as "etc". Any opinions or experience w/ this?

STEP TWO: Get a start witness
In order to document your ride, the Iron Butt Association requires that obtain TWO eyewitnesses to document the start of your ride. Witnesses for the Bun Burner GOLD may be friends (but not one on the ride with you), spouse or even gas station attendants willing to answer a letter from the IBA about your start or end time.
I think the Mayor would rank higher than the gas station attendant. In some towns, might be the same person :D

From the Extreme Ride Witness section:

Find at least one firefighter, judge, notary public or authorized Iron Butt Association member (if you are on-line, there is a list maintained at: https://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm) willing to sign your witness form (sample attached). If you use a Police Officer, or other public official, you may fill out the witness section with the Police Station/Fire House or other business address.
I would say a Mayor is a public official.

For clarification on any of this, I suggest you shoot an email to [email protected] for confirmation

You obviously don't live in DC as we don't accept that Mayor for anything official. :D