Vacuum Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibrd0wn

Reaction score
I having a erratic idle issue, The bike starts and runs at warm up but it is rough, with an rpm drop of 4 to 5 hundred and the backup again. After warm up it just will stall and I need to hold the throttle at about 2K rpm's for it to smooth out. I noticed my TBS caps were in poor shape and have replacements on order. I did not see any visible holes in the caps. I have replaced the plugs and removed the PC5. All other rubber lines that i can see look to be in good shape. Has anyone experienced any thing similar?

If it's been sitting a while, could be a bit of water in the gas....... an ounce or two of Seafoam should work, plus a fill-up of fresh stuff. Try that first and let us know if we have to dig deeper.

Until your TBS caps come in, try putting tiny squares of celophane over them. Captured by the tiny PIA clips of course.

Don't laugh, my bike has been running great with celophane enhanced caps for about 3 yrs now. I got tired of replacing them.

Give it a try.

I will try the cellophane trick. I know it is not bad gas the problem presented itself right before a day ride. I only used chevron gas the whole day and filled up 3 tanks.

No But why are you so certain it's vacuum related.. With only a couple places with Vac tubes/hoses.. it'd be easy to diag..

I think Ray is onto something with regards to substandard fuel..

Hasn't been anything manufactured in the US worth a fuk in 20 years.