vancouver bc to glacier np

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
topic title and description sort of says it all.

we may be flying (blasphemy) into Seattle, renting a car (I know, more blasphemy) to go to Vancouver bc then drive over to Glacier NP and loop back down to Seattle to fly home.

Streets and Trips routed me away from Can 3 back down to USA and over even when I used my preferred roads (state highways).

Anyone with knowledge about Can highway 3 and that route?

thanks.

Lee

ps did a search with vancouver and glacier, didn't turn up with anything that answered the question.

topic title and description sort of says it all. we may be flying (blasphemy) into Seattle, renting a car (I know, more blasphemy) to go to Vancouver bc then drive over to Glacier NP and loop back down to Seattle to fly home.

Streets and Trips routed me away from Can 3 back down to USA and over even when I used my preferred roads (state highways).

thanks.

Lee

ps did a search with vancouver and glacier, didn't turn up with anything that answered the question.
Vancouver to Nakusp via Hwy 3 is not as fast (timewise) as taking Hwy 5, but it is more scenic. Hwy 5 is also a Toll Hwy, but it has it's beauty and advantages as well. Once you drive Hwy 3 with a rental car you will whack yourself on the head with a 2x4 for NOT having had your bike along with. The road east to GNP is equally scenic.

bring many storage cards for your digicam :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Brenda or RT at Mountain to Sound MC Rentals. Link I have nothing to gain here, I have rented from them and was treated well

At least rent a FJR or th new C-14 for a day or two and do a little riding while your here. Great riding out here!

Most riders up here think Hwy 3 is a fun ride. No reason to be concerned about it. It's 2 lanes, very scenic, lots of sweepers and a few twisties, towns with facilities all along the way, not too busy except on holiday weekends etc. Go for it!

topic title and description sort of says it all. we may be flying (blasphemy) into Seattle, renting a car (I know, more blasphemy) to go to Vancouver bc then drive over to Glacier NP and loop back down to Seattle to fly home.

thanks.

Lee

thanks for all the info. sounds like 3 is a good road. it wouldn't be the first time I've driven 4 wheels on roads that seem to be made for 2 wheels. this will be a fly in and rent a car only trip. just the way it is. at least I'll be scouting routes for possible future 2-wheeled excursions.

what I really hate is when I'm on a trip like this and I, enveritibly, see lots of bikes on the road and me in a cage!

thanks.

Lee

thanks for all the info. sounds like 3 is a good road. it wouldn't be the first time I've driven 4 wheels on roads that seem to be made for 2 wheels. this will be a fly in and rent a car only trip. just the way it is. at least I'll be scouting routes for possible future 2-wheeled excursions.

what I really hate is when I'm on a trip like this and I, enveritibly, see lots of bikes on the road and me in a cage!
Hwy 3 is a real good choice :thumbsupsmiley: definitely two thumbs up. Try US-20 on the way back to Seattle some great sights thru the North Cascades Nat. Park with a stop in Winthrop WA, nice little town with a bunch of real good mom and pop places to stay.

The Cascade Mtns. off US-20 near Winthrop

B_009_2.jpg

North Cascades NP

C_004_3.jpg

Winthrop WA

B_010_2.jpg

US-20 in WA

C_002_3.jpg

Yes, do 3 going over. Take it all the way to Pincer Creek, B.C. Then south on highway 6 to Waterton Lakes Park, the Canadian side of Glacier. Then on south on US 17 and 89 to Glacier. At Fernie B.C. look for the worlds 2nd largest truck. Taking US 20 back will make a very good trip. Enjoy.

Phil

thanks for th einfo and especially for the pix!

Yes, do 3 going over. Take it all the way to Pincer Creek, B.C. Then south on highway 6 to Waterton Lakes Park, the Canadian side of Glacier. Then on south on US 17 and 89 to Glacier. At Fernie B.C. look for the worlds 2nd largest truck. Taking US 20 back will make a very good trip. Enjoy.Phil
Phil, thanks for the tips. 2nd largest truck?

It was the first then the Aussies had a bigger one built. The tires are 10 feet tall and it uses a train engine. Also a good place to streach the legs. If you stay at East Glacier take the loop south and west over Marias Pass to Kalispiel then back through the park to East Glacier. Going east through the park is more scenic. Any specific questions?

Phil

thanks for th einfo and especially for the pix!

Yes, do 3 going over. Take it all the way to Pincer Creek, B.C. Then south on highway 6 to Waterton Lakes Park, the Canadian side of Glacier. Then on south on US 17 and 89 to Glacier. At Fernie B.C. look for the worlds 2nd largest truck. Taking US 20 back will make a very good trip. Enjoy.Phil
Phil, thanks for the tips. 2nd largest truck?
I used to work for the coal mining company that owned this truck. It was the largest in the world for many years. It was produced by GM and was rated at 350 tons but now 400 ton trucks are common.

Ditto on the recommendation about Waterton Lakes Nat Park if you go through to Alberta. It's one of Canada's least-known national parks but it's a real jewel.

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks.

Lee

I'm assuming you're going to be doing this ride closer to summer. Right now, shite, it would be cool!

I've ridden this route countless times, Hwy 3 is a nice road, not 'great' as far as motorcycles go, not as good as Hwy 20 in Washington, but entertaining, with sections that challenging for bikes. It's like any road, you pick your time and place if you know what I mean. You will go through 3 temperate zones, from coast rain forest, to desert, to wine country, to alpine canyons & passes. There are some great little towns along the way, and depending on time of year, roadside fruit stands full of stuff. Waterton Lakes is utterly fantastic in scenery, and can be fun on bikes, but during the tourist time, it's full of motorhomes, and forest rangers will give you tickets.

Steve

Thanks, Phil!

thanks.

Lee

I'm assuming you're going to be doing this ride closer to summer. Right now, shite, it would be cool!

I've ridden this route countless times, Hwy 3 is a nice road, not 'great' as far as motorcycles go, not as good as Hwy 20 in Washington, but entertaining, with sections that challenging for bikes. It's like any road, you pick your time and place if you know what I mean. You will go through 3 temperate zones, from coast rain forest, to desert, to wine country, to alpine canyons & passes. There are some great little towns along the way, and depending on time of year, roadside fruit stands full of stuff. Waterton Lakes is utterly fantastic in scenery, and can be fun on bikes, but during the tourist time, it's full of motorhomes, and forest rangers will give you tickets.

Steve
good stuff, thanks.

we'll be there in early summer if we go.

and we will be in a CAR!! daumm.