Vega Touring Boot - Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violione

Sir Loin of Beef
Reaction score
The Vega Touring Boot:

I was looking for motorcycle boots this summer for my NAFO trip. Previously, I had been wearing a Wolverine waterproof work boot with a steel toe and shank that I purchased from Wally-World. Very good boot but it was lacking in the shin and ankle protection.

Doing sone internet research I came across the Vega Touring boots. Most all reviews were complementary, a few grips about finish (Alpinestars & Sidi's they are not). I purchased this pair from Motorcycle-Superstore for $69.99. Now for the review:

These boots are marked Made In China.

The size 13 boot is 11 1/4 inches high from floor to the top of the boot, measured from the back of the heal.

The boots uppers are 100% waterproof leather with a plastic shifter/Vega Logo fux stitched/glued to the upper side where a shift lever would fall.

Each boot has two zippers for entry/exit. There is a short zipper on the inner side of the boot and a longer one to the outside of the boot. Unzipping both is not necessary but the advantage is that once the boot is off, unzipping both zippers allows the boot to "air out" nicely! Few boots have that advantage. Each zipper is sewn under the outer leather and above the inner liner of the boot. There is a very closely tailored flap of outer leather that helps seal up the zipper for water proofness, but the zippers them selves are not of a water proof design. At the top of each zipper is a Velcro flap the holds both the zipper and the "joint" firmly together as well as providing another water resistant closure for the zipper area.

At the top rear of each boot is an additional dual Velcro fold that is intended to allow for further customized fit of the calf area. Another feature I didn't see in the upper crust boots.

The soles is a rubber/vinyl compound with circular tread pattern. This pattern is actually a good idea; it allows for lateral traction that boots with lugs or straight sipe treads patterns don't have and would tend to slip to the outside in wet and sandy conditions. The sole is soft which allows for further grippieness in cold and wet conditions. Thought I don't think these soles are made for walking/hiking, but rather for motorcycling, so brings your Keds or hiking shoe/boots for those activities. The sole is bonded to the bottom of the upper boot leather very well and looks like it will last.

The inside of the boot is made of a soft velveteen like material that helps wick moisture up and out of the boot well. The foot bed seams hard to the touch but once your foot is in it, the comfort is a 8.5 out of ten IMHO.

Protection - the is a very substantial shin guard built into the tung of the boot. There is not a ankle disk incorporated into the boot, however; there is three layers of leather and then the waterproof barrier and the soft liner that covers your whole ankle "bone" area.

Sizing - spot on. I wear a size 13 and the boot was a "perfect" 13!

Comfort - very nice. They are a little warm in temps above 90 F. and in cold weather work well with good wool socks on, down into the upper 30's. I do not know what they are like below 35 degrees F.

Water Proofness - so far excellent! But I have not ridden them in any frog stranglers, but have ridden in some good down pores and light rains for a couple of hours, no leaks!

In conclusion; the Vega Touring Boot at $70, are probably one of the best boot buys out there! However; should prices start to exceed $90, there are some better boots by big name companies out there that are nicer looking and maybe build quality.

Overall personal score is a 8.5 out of 10 FOR VALUE

7.5 FOR BUILD QUALITY

9.0 FOR FEATURES AND VERSATILITY

8.5 FOR COMFORT.

Overall I have logged just under 10k miles in these boots and they look almost new and I have had no issues thus far.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
04a8c822.jpg

Very timely review for me, Thanks. Winter weather is here and my old boots are not adequate. I am also interested in the extra shin and ankle protection. Hope the spot on sizing works for me also. :helmetsmiley:

Wow! that almost sounds like a paid indorsement for the boot maker........ :headbonk:

good write up, always wonder how good of a boot they were..

I've had these boot for a couple of season's now. Violione has good write up on them. Below 30 degrees they do seem to let a lot of air in however. My toes were cold after a 15 minute highway ride in 20 degree weather. Other than that no complaints from me

Hell of a write-up! I bought a pair over a year ago and since they've broken-in, I can wear them all day in perfect comfort. Good flexibility for shifting and braking, Nice and warm - I can attest to the mid-30° range. If it's below that I don't tend to ride anyways. Great boot, recommend to all! :D

Sizing - spot on. I wear a size 13 and the boot was a "perfect" 13!
All my shoes & boots are size 10 1/2 or 11. I ordered size 11; the left boot was tight and the right boot was too small, it seemed to be a half size smaller than the left. I returned them today and will look somewhere else for riding boots.

:(

Thanks for the write up Jay! Been looking to replace my broken zippered Sidi's. I don't like wearing my Gaerne's for long trip as they are a more race oriented boot. May have to invest in a pair of these!

the left boot was tight and the right boot was too small :blink:
Maybe the next size larger?
They were small & SMALLER! The boots were different sizes and each looked a bit different. The boot box they came in was dented and dirty but nicely packed in the UPS shipping box. The sizing was not "Spot On."

Recreate,

Sorry to hear that! From whom did yo order them from? As I said, I got mine from Motorcycle-Superstore.com; the box was new and clean and the boots were wrapped individually in plastic and each boot had paper in the toes and a cardboard sleeve in the ankle area to help hold shape. I have found that a good number of the Chinese made foot ware runs small, but these boots were perfect. It almost sounds as though you got a mismatched floor demo or something. Does the cloth tags on the inside of the calf riser say "Vega U.S. 11"? Again, sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with them. :cry:

V.

I had my Vega boots for about the past 5 years,,,

I had been looking at boots ,,most of them expensive ,,, after trying about everything on ,,,

I didn't find anything I liked,,

the Salesman said , I've got some boots over here on sale for $49.95....

I had been looking at boots for $200 plus ,,, and I thought No way on a $49 pair of boots...

Anyway tried them on ,,, ,,,

They are a little warm in warm weather,,,,, they have always kept my feet dry when riding in the rain..

and they are comfortable ,,,, and very happy to spend $49 rather than $249....

.... good write -up ...

Recreate,
Sorry to hear that! From whom did yo order them from? As I said, I got mine from Motorcycle-Superstore.com; the box was new and clean and the boots were wrapped individually in plastic and each boot had paper in the toes and a cardboard sleeve in the ankle area to help hold shape. I have found that a good number of the Chinese made foot ware runs small, but these boots were perfect. It almost sounds as though you got a mismatched floor demo or something. Does the cloth tags on the inside of the calf riser say "Vega U.S. 11"? Again, sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with them. :cry:

V.
I have returned them to Motorcycle-Superstore.com. The boots were not wrapped individually in plastic but did have paper in the toes and a cardboard sleeve in the ankle area. I shipped them back packed as I received them. Perhaps I got a couple of mismatched/mis-sized boots that had been previously returned. They were labeled size 11 but I don't remember exactly what the tag said. :ermm: