Vent Tubes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XLR8

Friday Driver
Reaction score
Any idears why the vent tubes which hang down under the FJR are cut at a slant at the end? Is there some hidden technical reason? It looks like this would increase the surface area of the opening and thus increase airflow?

The reason I ask is that I am trying to reduce the amount of dirt which collects around my filler cap. I didn't have anything sharp enough to reproduce that slanted cut so I just snipped em pretty much straight across with some scissors. Will my bike blow up or anything? :rolleyes:

-r

Yes there is. If the slant is cut to face forward of the bike then the air pressure created would in effect reduce or even push the fluids up the hose. By having the slanted cut facing towards the rear of the bike this will create a venturi effect. As the air rushes past the tube it creates a low pressure in the tube thus "pulling" the tube's contens to atmosphere and assisting in the draining of any said fluids.

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers

I'm trying to figure out why scissors couldn't be used to cut on an angle.
Ya just gotta go with it. I tried, but it didn't work too well. The rubber was tougher than I expected.

-r

Why are you guys trying to cut them? Just shortening them so the hoses don't hang down so far and look crappy?

Why are you guys trying to cut them? Just shortening them so the hoses don't hang down so far and look crappy?
Some people have said that shortening them will reduce the amount of dirt that ends up around your filler cap.

The other strategy is to make sure the angled cut is pointed toward the back of the bike. That didn't work for me so I am trying the "shortening technique".

-r

I shortened and angle cut them-with scissors. Real ones, not romper-room, safe at any speed, blunt nosed, quit eatin' the paste ones. And yes, the angle isn't factory-someone has already modified yours. I say this because Franks were long and straight when factory fresh. Several stories concerning dirt intrusion and subsequent blocking of the fuel tank vent line prompted me to do this. Part of my oil change routine includes a blast of brake cleaner down the tank vent, and still quite a bit of dirt comes out.

Mine came long with an angle cut from the factory. Of course the fuel vent angle was pointed forward and I was getting dirt up around the filler neck.

Used a nice sharp pair of scissors and re-cut the tube so the angle faces back. No more dirt in the filler neck.