Very Sad News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzuber76

Reaction score
Yep. It's true. After only having it 3 weeks! Was backing out of the driveway (which has an incline) heading back to work after lunch. I was running a little late and thought I could back out a little faster than I usually do. One wrong turn of the bars, lost my balance and down she went on the right side. Not hard, but hard enough to put small scratches on the exhaust, the side case, and tiny scratches on the mirror and frame slider. Glad the bike came with those frame sliders! They work! Such a bummer. I'll have to look for some touch-up paint. Better in the driveway than in traffic.

Yep. It's true. After only having it 3 weeks! Was backing out of the driveway (which has an incline) heading back to work after lunch. I was running a little late and thought I could back out a little faster than I usually do. One wrong turn of the bars, lost my balance and down she went on the right side. Not hard, but hard enough to put small scratches on the exhaust, the side case, and tiny scratches on the mirror and frame slider. Glad the bike came with those frame sliders! They work! Such a bummer. I'll have to look for some touch-up paint. Better in the driveway than in traffic.

Welcome to the club. I had just had my 600 mile oil change when I dropped mine the first time. It's been a while since the last one. Maybe I learned my lesson...maybe not.

I doubt very much you learned anything AJ... :blum:

Oh wait! You did learn concrete is no match for that mellon of yours din ya! Cost more to fix the drive than that scoot of yers :blink:

Hugs,

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2007 I bought an absolutely pristine 2006 with 21k miles on it. The previous owner had it looking better than new, it was so clean, not a scratch on it.

Then my wife and I took off on a long weekend, swapped bikes, and she dropped it in a slow speed manauver. It was that off-idle throttle lurch that startled her, she grabbed the brakes and down she went.

Not worth fixing ... I don't even see the damage anymore. sh!t happens.

It took me 7 years and almost 100k but I finaly droped mine in front of the norcal folks in Yreka ca. Took a picture of it and then we picked it up and left.

Oh Come on, are you kidding with this.......This is like a dream. You can spend countless hours searching the forum for tricks and tips to resolve every little scratch. Scour the internet for the best and most economical paint match. Cruise the forums accross the vast internet land and find tips and skills to buff and prime and paint and pack molding to make your baby pristine again....see it's opportunity here my fellow feejer rider.

ps...Don't forget to post before and after pics, with details on how you accomplished the task....therefore immortializing your forum status with some extreme bodywork fixings tips.

Don't sweat it, dzuber76; just about everybody who's honest on FJR Forum has done it and got the T-Shirt. We've got a guy here in Skootsdale, Arizona who has flown his "Dirty Old Whore" through the air so many times its other nickname is "Flipper"!

It took me 7 years and almost 100k but I finaly droped mine in front of the norcal folks in Yreka ca. Took a picture of it and then we picked it up and left.
What a relief, eh Ray?

Some folks think it's worse when you drop it in front of your buddies. You know, the shame and all that.

I say no way! If there aren't any friends around who's gonna he'p you pick the big ole' pig up? I can live (and ride) with the shame. It's a lot harder to ride with a wrenched out back!! ;)

And before any of you helpful Hanna's lead me by the hand to videos on how to pick up a bike, I already know how. :rolleyes: I actually dropped my old '01 Kwaki Concours in a similar situation (stupidity) before I ever owned my FJR, but in that case was all by my lonesome and managed to get it back upright by myself no problemo. I just wouldn't want to make a regular habit out of it, ya know?

Yours is still rideable? Come spring time I'll give you some lessons on how to really drop an FJR! :p

Now you can get a little drop club thingy for your signature like mine down there. :yahoo:

I know it hurts at first but you will be ok.

I dropped mine right in front of my favorite bar, trying to pull a too-tight U-Turn, while all me droogs looked on. The bartender rushed out to help me pick it up. Humbling. WBill

Don't sweat it, dzuber76; just about everybody who's honest on FJR Forum has done it and got the T-Shirt. We've got a guy here in Skootsdale, Arizona who has flown his "Dirty Old Whore" through the air so many times its other nickname is "Flipper"!
Where do they sell those T-Shirts? To the OP: it hurts, but after a while it hurts less. Having said that I have a double secret plan to fix my bikes scars....

Yep. It's true. After only having it 3 weeks!
I feel your pain; I had 54 miles on my new '09A and hit a hog aka Florida wild pig coming home from work the first day I rode it in! That sucks but ya move on. Ya just gotta figure that the bad luck happened up front so it's all good from here on out...

I think dropping a bike in the first weeks of ownership must be an assimilation-type-thing to the bike for me. I dropped my very first bike after 1 week when I brought it by my folks' house to show it off to my pops. He wants to get a picture of me on the bike. Tells me to put the sidestand up so it looks like I just pulled up on it (is this a setup?), takes the pic, and I lean over to set the bike on the stand. Yep, I forgot that one key step in parking the bike. As most of you have said, shit happens.

Yours is still rideable? Come spring time I'll give you some lessons on how to really drop an FJR! :p
I've been lucky enough to avoid that lesson, v65 (knocking on wood). Maybe, I'll take you up on that at a much later date! ;)